Author Topic: Rifles and Revolvers  (Read 42773 times)

Offline Pothook

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rifles and Revolvers
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2013, 10:54:58 PM »
OK, point taken- i'll get some .36 Navys and call it good.

Hey! Check it out I figured how to put a picture on there. Let's see if I can git more...

Offline Pothook

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2013, 11:14:22 PM »
And the rest. Let's see here... This is my latest acquisition, a Colt 2nd gen 1862 Pocket Police, NIB all papers and access. No Italian proofs anywhere.

Looks good, will shoot but needs the timing adjusted. Have only found 3 active cap & ball pistol gunsmiths in this country of 310 million people. Wow, dying breed is an understatement! 20-years out of print paperback books on the subject  are going for over a hundred dollars on Amazon.

I think i'll pick them up, learn how to do it and then have a corner of the market when the Guvmint bans everything except muzzleloaders and atlatls. Enough complaining; here 's the rest of the pics:

Offline Pothook

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2013, 11:17:35 PM »
And the last one. For historical study, all this is supposed to be exactly as made in 1862.

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 11:21:15 PM »

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2013, 12:12:40 AM »
That looks sweet. I've always liked the feel of a pocket revolver. I think you'll be money ahead doing your own work, too.

Offline Pothook

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2013, 06:32:01 PM »
It does feel good, slightly muzzle heavy but long loading lever has good leverage. Got to get the Packin' Iron book to see if they had shoulder holsters in 1850's.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »
I've been spoiled by the 2nd gen Colt's revolvers. The workmanship and handling is noticeably superior to the regular Italian made guns. I love that 1862 Police you have there Pothook. I need to get me one of those.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2013, 05:30:16 PM »
It does feel good, slightly muzzle heavy but long loading lever has good leverage. Got to get the Packin' Iron book to see if they had shoulder holsters in 1850's.
There is a "Gamblers Vest" in "Packing Iron"on pg 154.  It is leather and linen and was made for a pair of under hammer percussion "boot pistols", a loading rod, a small pouch (powder measure?) and a small dagger. Thought to date to about 1835-45.
In over 40 years researching holsters that's about the only style I've seen for that period - the only other was a similar setup but based on a pair of suspenders.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2013, 07:06:58 AM »
I love that vest.  I have a spare vest I have thought about taking apart with that in mind.    Problem is I need a coat first.   I really like those boot pistols as well.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com