Author Topic: another Colt Lighting copy  (Read 4599 times)

Offline Marshall Sam Holland

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
another Colt Lighting copy
« on: November 03, 2005, 08:42:09 AM »
I was wondering who knows anything about a Colt Lighting copy, I beleive by Great Western Arms, a found one NIB for 400.00 in 45lc....are they any good?????
any thoughts appreciated...

Offline Jax Orebetter

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Jax's Poker Table
  • Liked:
Re: another Colt Lighting copy
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 08:57:57 AM »
I believe that is American Western Arms (AWA). Those rifles had some problems, but one of the Pards that frequent these boards by the name of Manatee is the one you need to ask about those. He did a lot of the work and refitting to get them running like they should. At least that's the story I heard.  ;) His e-mail is   manatee@bananariveroutfitters.com
Time to fold,
Jax Orebetter
~WARTHOG~

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 09:02:10 AM »
Thanks, the dealer told me on the phone Great Westren, but another partner told me also, that he thinks AWA, which he has one in 38. He said was good after a few bugs were worked out...

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:18:33 AM »

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 10:29:57 AM »
Well, I shot 'er, and she a little ammo picky....255 gr. 45Colt had some chambering probllems, 250 gr. works great, and she won't think about chambering a 180 gr bullet...otherwise shoots great, good point of aim...

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 11:29:19 AM »
AWA's from the factory have their problems.  I have an AWA in 45 Colt that was custom built by Eldon Penner in Gardnerville, NV.  He went to Italy for AWA to help the Italians set up the production facilities.  If the Italians and AWA had followed his recommendations the guns would have been just fine.  My gun was built from AWA parts that Eldon has in stock.  If you are in need of repair of a Colt Lightning, original or reproduction, Eldon is the man to talk to.  I believe that his official business name is Penner Lightning Rifles.  My rifle likes 200 grain RNFP loads and feeds just fine.

Eldon also rebuilt an original large frame Colt Lightning for me and converted it to 45-85-285 caliber (Colt's name for the 45-70) and it is a real shooter.

I would recommend him for any Lightning work that you  might need done.  He can be reached at 775/783-8387.

HHW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com