Author Topic: Traditions JH Dance revolver  (Read 25600 times)

Offline sackettboys

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Traditions JH Dance revolver
« on: November 04, 2008, 07:38:55 PM »
Happened to see a pic on the Traditions website. Has anyone handled/shot one? I've always like the Confederate reproduction cap & ball pistols. I like that's it steel frame. I was wondering how well it's put together and functions.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FR18622
“Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati.” - “When all else fails, play dead.”  Possum Lodge motto

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
Re: Traditions JH Dance revolver
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:30:08 PM »
I bought a Dance from Pietta three or so years ago (had been only available through Dixie Gun Works).  I love mine, but it is pretty tight. 

As far as I know, Pietta makes the guns for Traditions, but someone else might have to respond to that.  From what I've seen in the past, they were somewhat inferior to the standard Pietta offerings.  That said, Bass Pro Shops started carrying them and I went to handle it and was impressed on the fit & finish and it felt much smoother than mine.  I see that Traditions lists the Dance as "New", which makes me wonder if they are using a different manufacturer.  Of course, the salesman couldn't tell me anything.  Well, maybe what time his next break was...

Here's a link to Bass Pro where it is a little more expensive than direct from Traditions:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_101694_400003001_400000000_400003000_400-3-1

Here's a link to DGW. I'm not sure if these are now the Traditions or still the Pietta, but the price has come down.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=883

If you like confederate replicas, check out some of the other guns from DGW or Traditions.  DGW has also for a long time now offered a Spiller and Burr (manuf. by Pietta and now also listed as "New" on the Traditions site).  Others have tried to pass off a brass framed remington as a confederate revolver by offering the "1858 New Army Texas" revolver, but the Spiller & Burr is more correct.  Bass Pro also has one (under the Traditions label) which felt good, but it was not as nicely finished as the Dance.  There were mill marks in the sight groove.  Again, I don't know how the Piettas offered by DGW differ, if at all.

I hope someone else can chime in with experience.  I'd love to hear how these are shooting and would like to see more confederate revolvers at matches.  No matter what, I can't imagine that you would regret the purchase.

Here's a link to the Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association.  They have some nice pictures to drool over. ;D

http://members.tripod.com/rprca/Home.html
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:46:46 AM »
http://www.civilwar.si.edu/weapons_dance.html

Above is a link to an original Dance in the Smithsonian collection.

Trinity, I agree on enjoying my Leech & Rigdon. It is a fine shooter. If I was in the market for another revolver, it would be a toss-up between the Dance or the Whitney Navy, although I did not see that it is still being offered by DGW. Spiller & Burr design based on the Whitney.
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:10:09 AM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 10:07:22 AM »
None of the pictures I've seen of the original Dance show it with a square back trigger guard, but the replicas all seem to have them.  Comments?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 06:54:44 PM »
RCJ, I knew about the revolvers I mentioned and one or two more, but I had no idea that other replicas existed until I found the Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association website a few months back.  That piqued my interest and now I would like to focus on obtaining more confederate revolvers.  Forty Rod even told me about a Uberti Dance.  A quick web search brings up many discussions, but no opportunities for purchase and Uberti's sales literature makes no mention of it.  I wonder how long ago they quit making it.

Forty, I don't think anybody except Alchemista has an idea why they use the square back. ???
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 09:55:51 PM »
Forty Rod even told me about a Uberti Dance.  A quick web search brings up many discussions, but no opportunities for purchase and Uberti's sales literature makes no mention of it.  I wonder how long ago they quit making it...

Uberti only made about 100 or so & they were all .36 cal. if I remember correctly. Adler covers it in his Colt BP book. This was in the late 1960's - early 1970's. I have seen only seen one for sale a few years back & they wanted over $900.00 for it.  :o

Offline WV Scrounger

• Top Active Citizen
  • HILLBILLY
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 07:35:19 PM »
Hey Forty Rod....very observant ! ! !  I was wondering the same thing and I found a website that tends to make you think the .36 Dance pistol had the round trigger guard and the .44 Dance pistol have the squareback trigger guard....
 here is the website.....Look at the 6th photo under the Dance catagory
http://civilwarhandgun.com/obscure.htm

they show a pice of a dance with a squareback trigger guard....

I have been looking all over  a Dance pistol and noticed that one of the sellers were listing them as " Second Generation"
.......anybody else see that ???

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 08:07:54 PM »
LIKE I ALWAYS SAY, as soon a I say something isn't or can't be, or never was, someone comes along and proves me wrong.   ::)   :D

I've only seen one original and it was missing the grips frame and trigger guard (also the loading lever and hammer and most internal parts) so I can't say for certain.  This is the first picture I've seen with a square back guard on either caliber, and I notice the repros have color case frames.  The originals seem to have been blued with brass grip straps and front sight blades, and no mention of CCH on any parts.  Grips were one piece wlnut

The .44 version is bigger than a Colt Navy but smaller than a Dragoon.  No other pistol that I know of is just this size.

Norm Flayderman's Guide doesn't specify the CCH or guard shape.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline WV Scrounger

• Top Active Citizen
  • HILLBILLY
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 08:18:34 PM »
Hmmmm....you would figger that flaydermans would mention things like that...huh?  I would ! ! !

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 11:08:38 AM »
Yeah, he's usually pretty good about that.  Could be that they're so scarce he doesn't know...but I can't see that being the case.

Offline WV Scrounger

• Top Active Citizen
  • HILLBILLY
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »
Here are some .36 Dance pistols with the squareback triggerguard....
http://rprca.tripod.com/ModelsConfederate.html
.there is a post on this forum that explains about the 36's,
especially the fact that not many .36 Dance repros were produced and they arent being produced anymore....
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=23975.0

Offline WV Scrounger

• Top Active Citizen
  • HILLBILLY
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 08:20:20 PM »
well....My new Traditions ( pietta) Dance .44 arrived today. I must say the Pietta has come a long way. The fir and finish are superb!  Just as good as any of my Uberti's. I am VERY PLEASED and cant wait to get out to the range !

Offline Curly Red Ryder

• Active citizen
  • CAS-France life member #64 SASS life 83495
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »
Hey Forty Rod....very observant ! ! !  I was wondering the same thing and I found a website that tends to make you think the .36 Dance pistol had the round trigger guard and the .44 Dance pistol have the squareback trigger guard....
 here is the website.....Look at the 6th photo under the Dance catagory
http://civilwarhandgun.com/obscure.htm
    they show a pice of a dance with a squareback trigger guard....
  I have been looking all over  a Dance pistol and noticed that one of the sellers were listing them as " Second Generation"
.......anybody else see that ???

It seems that the photo you are refering to is the photo of a replica, not an original one. If you look closely at the tagg for the gun with theTexas star on, it's labelled .44. Thedetails of the gun on the 6th photo are very like on the replica including the CH frame.
Successful me! No I begin!

Offline Doc O

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 08:51:05 PM »
WV.
How does the Dance shoot.
Been thinking of one my self.

Doc

Offline Curly Red Ryder

• Active citizen
  • CAS-France life member #64 SASS life 83495
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 01:13:27 PM »
WV.
How does the Dance shoot.
Been thinking of one my self.

Doc
Mine is not bad and shoot well and precise, but cannot well hold it  due to the small handle and the square trigger guard caused me some pain on my mid finger articulation.
Successful me! No I begin!

44caliberkid

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 12:34:15 PM »
I've had one for about 7 years and mine is very nice, shoots well.  Only trouble is, in rapid fire it drops the spent, very hot, cap into the web of your right hand, because of no recoil shield to hold it on.   I used it for a two day match once and you sure shoot fast while those caps are sizzling in your palm.   I had to occasionally shift my grip while cocking to let them fall to the ground.   By day two the callouses were tough enough I could shoot six and withstand the burn.

Offline Doc O

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 09:28:28 PM »
44caliberkid , I know what you mean. Hurts for a bit.
I see there is a Dance up for sale right now at a pretty good price.
But since I just picked up a Leech and Rigdon the Dance will have to waite.
Now if someone would just get the Treso nipples in stock I could shoot the Leech.

Doc

Offline hawkeye2

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 03:46:06 PM »
WV Scrounger is yours built on a Dragon frame and if so any idea which model?

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 04:31:57 PM »
WV Scrounger is yours built on a Dragon frame and if so any idea which model?

The original .44 Dance was a bit smaller than the Colt Dragoons, but not as small as the 1860 Army.  It used to be an easy way to tell the fakes.

The .36 was the same size as the 1851 Colt.

All the Dances I ever heard of had round barrels forward of the barrel lug.

Offline hawkeye2

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 05:40:08 PM »
      Excuse my spelling on my first post (dragon), went to correct it and made the same misteke again.  I'm pretty well aware of the original Dances.  I was wondering what liberties the Italians took with this "replica" and was thinking that it would be an interesting pistol with a Kirst Pieta conversion if they used an off the shelf Dragoon frame w/o the recoil shields.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com