Author Topic: EMF Hartford 1892 Short Rifle  (Read 28342 times)

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
EMF Hartford 1892 Short Rifle
« on: January 10, 2005, 11:45:53 PM »
On Friday, (1-7-04) I picked up an EMF Hartford Model 1892 Short Rifle for my son to shoot in order to match the caliber of his handgun.  I ain't had a chance to put the rifle on paper, but I function fired it on Friday afternoon in the back pasture and it hit the tree I was aiming at with a decent group from about 30 yards.  After spending a couple of hours that nite slickin' up the action I took it out to a match at LSFSC Saturday (1-8-04).  It performed flawlessly, although as all '92s made by A. Rossi, it was pretty stiff out-of-the-box.  (In fact, my '73 broke it's firing pin on the 2nd stage, so I used the '92 along with my son.  A few more matches and it will surely loosen up and continue to give lots of service.  And if the two of us continue to share it, it'll probably break in faster!).  Aim to put it on paper when the weather drys out here in Texas, will let you know the results.
This one is in .45 Colt and I loaded 200gr RNFPs in front of 6.5 grs. of Red Dot, it fed the ammo flawlessly and hit every target all day.  This bullet, when seated to the cannelure allows 10 rounds in the magazine.  I also tried some other bullet styles I had loaded and the Rifle fed them all just fine.
This is the third Rossi '92 I've bought, and still have the first two.  The first was purchased in 1988 for my wife and son to compete with and it's still shootin' great!  If you like '92s and want an affordable shooter that will give lot's of good service I highly recommend these fine little rifles.
The only problem with the fit & finish is a small gap between the right side of the upper tang and stock.  Too small to measure and extremely shallow.  Did not affect it's function, and wasn't noticeable during firing.  No pinching or...
If you're interested in tuning the action, drop me an email and I'll let you know my methods.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: EMF Hartford 1982 Short Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 08:41:19 AM »
Thanks for the information, good looking rifle!
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 04:26:41 PM »
Thanks! The Rossi 1892 is on my list of rifles as I collect my gear.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple

Advertising

Re: EMF Hartford 1892 Short Rifle
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:31:02 AM »

Offline REELFOOT REGULATOR

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 11:14:59 AM »
Griff, I got one just like it. Got mine from EMF when they first came out. Mine looks the same accept mine has a blue forrend cap instead of color case. If i do my part it usually hangs with most levers
               Reelfoot
NRA
SASS
IDPA
SMOKEY BOTTOM GUN CLUB
WEST TN LONGRIDERS(HOME OF THE FARRINGTON BROS GANG)
COLLECTOR & SHOOTER OF MILSURPS

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 02:08:13 PM »
I have one of the 24" barreled Sporting Rifles in 45 Colt, and it's a real good shooter!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 11:55:35 AM »
I've had as many as three of the 92 at one time.  They're fine rifles for CAS, but you won't win any trophys with 'em.  They are priced right for the budget-conscious cowboy.  They are rugged and accurate.  But (there always seems to be a but doesn't there?), the design doesn't lend itself to ultra fast shooting.  You'll either get a stovepipe jame or the round will pile up into the bottom edge of the chamber.  I have had both these problems with all my 92s....and all my 92s were slicked up by excellent 'smiths.  Mostly it cost me several misses on a stage.

There's nothing wrong with the rifle.  If you have 'em and like 'em..more power to you.  I still have one, BTW.  My wife fell in love with my stainless 92 carbine (.45 Colt) and won't let me sell it.  Just be aware that there are problem areas you may have to deal with.

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 12:22:37 AM »
I don't know about "won't win any trophys with 'em".  My son won EOT Jr. in 1990, Jr Top Shootist at several other matches in addition to Overall at Raton National Shootout in '92 & '93 (if I recollect correctly) using a Rossi '92 Puma in .38 Special.  My wife won several Lady's titles with her custom '92.  There's expert 'smiths and then there's good shooters.  Yep, the '92 has limitations, but don't we all.
Griff
SASS/CMSA#93
LSFSC Life
NRA Life
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline tommy4toes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 07:30:01 AM »
hello Griff - I'm waiting for my EMF 92 to come in. could you tell me how ya "slicked it up"?

t4toes
t4toes@msn.com

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 07:10:36 AM »
We like them M-92's.  Got 4 here now.  The Jap Browning's are smoother runners.  But the EMF's look more "Winchester".
Jus' ordered the "short rifle" for a new Pard.  He loves it, but he may not shoot it much since it is a real pretty one.  Got wood like the one pictured! 
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 08:53:43 PM »
Howdy
I have been shootin a Rossi 92 since 1980, and I love it. I know there are some limitations, but I had my first round stove pipe on me last week and I believe it was more cuz it was a little too short.

Anyways, I liked it so much I will be picking up an EMF brass 92 rifle with 24" stainless bbl on Friday. It is a beauty...will post pix when I get it.

shootem if ya gotem!
cc
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline gryffon2004

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 02:24:33 AM »
So Rossi and emf are actually the same??? ??? ???
warthog
rats #198
pwdfr #111

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 09:05:16 PM »
Gryffon2004,
Ain't sure exactly what you meant by yer comment/questions, but here's my 2 cents:
Sir,
EMF and Rossi are not the "same" as EMF is just an importer of firearms, specializing in period firearms.  They utilize several different manufacturers, including Rossi, Pietta, Armi San Marco, Pedersoli, Uberti, and a couple of others over the years.
In this respect, they are like Charles Daly, Interarms, Navy Arms, and any number of other importers.  Pull the grips, ejector rod housing, forend or other part off some these "other" copies and you'll generally find out which firm actually manufactured the piece.  Several of these importers will import models from one maker, and won't import other models by the same maker.  In fact, EMF works hard to help improve some current models to meet the needs of Cowboy Action Shooters and a better product.  In general, the price you see reflects the higher standard they (or another importer) may demand. 
They were among the 1st, if not the 1st to import Uberti's copies of the Henry, '66 & '73 rifles and carbines.  They have also worked with these same manufacturers to bring out higher quality and more historically correct copies of the 1873 Colt, as at this time I think they use 3 different manufacturers to provide different grades of Colt SAAs copies to their customers.
Don't take my response as a criticism or promotional hyperbole for EMF.  For I've had medicore products from them and from other importers.  Generally, this is more a reflection of the price I paid for the product, than of the importer.  Remember, Rossi provides a relatively inexpensive copy of the '92, not well-known for its' exacting standards and manufacturing processes.
I know a lot of pards that have high expectations when they buy one of these copies, and then display belligerence and anger when they receive something that isn't a Remington or Weatherby.  Don't fall into this trap, for you won't overly affect their sales, and it becomes a pebble in your craw that hurts.
I've got 3 Rossi '92 copies; they ain't perfect, but they're fine, serviceable CAS guns.  I've had one of 'em for over 20 years and the only problem has been a broke firing pin.  Nope, it tweren't very smooth when it was new, but some judicious polishing has provided a fine gun that my wife and son have competed with since it was new.  It was soon accompanied by a Puma for my son, now my wife didn't have to share her long-gun.
I bought the Short Rifle for myself to use in Mounted Rifle events and for my son's use in CAS to match the .45 Colt handgun he now uses.  Yep, I'd have liked to have a '73 Short Rifle, but the extra money wasn't available, so I settled on the '92.
May live to regret the decision, but I seriously doubt it.
Respectively,
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2005, 10:39:33 PM »
Howdy
Well I have had my EMF brass '92 a couple of months now and it shoots way better than I do. It is much longer that my 92src (of course) but it still is a very comfortable gun...
I am fully satisfied.
cc
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Chick Brewster

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 12:00:22 AM »
Hello the fire...

I have an OLD model Rossi model 65.  Looks like and for all practical purposes is the 92.  Yep out of the box they are very stiff... but a little polishing and it slicks right up.  This one is in 44-40 and I've been looking at those EMF/Rossi brass framed short rifles in 45 Colt.  For the price of one of them other clones...  I could get me a Hartford model and a reloader!  ;D

-cb-
Old Cowboy's Advice:  " Never miss a chance to keep your mouth shut! "

Three Gaited Horse For Sale...  Stumble, Fart & Fall

Badlands Walker

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 01:21:21 PM »
Griff, please keep us posted & thanks for the info.  I intend to get me that exact model & I like what ya had to say about it.  I'm lookin' at the one with the octagon barrel in .45LC

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 07:23:39 PM »
Been home about a week and finally loaded up a bunch of guns and ammo and headed off to the range to do some test firing.  Got there and started unloading ???  Found I'd left my .45 Colt reloads back at home.  Oh well, bought a box of Magtech's Cowboy ammo in .45 Colt.  Don't own a chrono so I don't know how these go down range.  But they're 250gr. FPs so I knew they'd work fine in the rifle.
Fired first shot out of gun @ 50yd target and hit a little left of center; about 4 inches.  Moved the rear sight just off the centerline of the top flat and shot next three rounds.  They shot just above center X in a tight little cluster approx. 1-1/4 across.  Shot 5 more rounds and group size was unaffected, just shot the center out of the triangle :)
I do believe the rifle is a "keeper".
I shot the rifle at 3 monthly matches before this little trip for a couple of stages each trip and didn't have any problems with it.  percentage of hits was just what I expect of my shooting under the clock so I wasn't too surprised at the accuracy this rifle yielded at the range.  I've been using both two different 225gr. FPs.  One is a truncated cone and the other has an ogive that appears similar to a .44-40 round.  Both feed reliably in the rifle.
Accurate, good looking, and reliable; about all one wants in a cowboy gun ;D
For my next trip to range I'm tying a string around my finger to remember my handloads.   ::)
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 06:13:26 AM »
Has the EMF started puttin' the silly safety in yet?
Or jus' Puma?
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

PWDFR POSSE

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 07:15:14 PM »
I bought me an EMF 1892 Carbine Blue in .45LC and love the gun.  This was a real good deal too!

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2005, 08:58:35 PM »
Mine doesn't have the safety.  Badlands, yep, after living with mine for almost a year, I love my '92 Short Rifle.  Shoots well, accuracy is quite adequate for CAS and short range hunting.  Taking mine to deer camp this year.  No, not for deer, but with that heavy 325 gr. slug, I'm confident that it'll do the trick on those pesky havelina ;D 
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

PWDFR POSSE

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2005, 07:55:02 AM »
Has anyone noticed the title on this?  It reads: EMF Hartford 1982 Short Rifle.   :o

That's OK though pard... we knew what ya meant! ;) :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com