Author Topic: The Ruger NEW Vaquero  (Read 57237 times)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Re: The Ruger NEW Vaquero
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2005, 12:37:08 PM »
Nice looking gun, Mike. My local "toy" dealer has some on order. I might have to have a look-see when he gets them in.  ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2005, 12:42:55 PM »
Additional note, this cost $449, all the other RV's in the case (old models) were priced at $399, even the stainless.
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2005, 08:18:28 PM »
MF, Prices on the old style around here run about $405- $429. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to see/handle an NRV yet. Got an old one in .45/5 1/2 that works wel but just doesn't feel right in the hand. Shoot toooo many clones I guess. Might have to try and work my way into a new one...............Buck 8) ::) :o ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:05:48 AM »

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2005, 03:35:22 AM »
Buck, your said "work your way into a new one",   well you got to work your way to a pair! :)
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline REELFOOT REGULATOR

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2005, 10:28:01 AM »
Don't quote me on this but i was just on Leverguns.com and someone stated that the unthinkable has happened! A new Rugar has blown up! Apparently someone went to the only safe for Ruger and Contender section of a reloading manual and proceeded to load some type of hot hunting load and the cylinder blew up! I'm not suprised by this, only saddened! this happened alot sooner than i expected! Like myself and others stated on that forum, use the proper tools for the intended purpose
NRA
SASS
IDPA
SMOKEY BOTTOM GUN CLUB
WEST TN LONGRIDERS(HOME OF THE FARRINGTON BROS GANG)
COLLECTOR & SHOOTER OF MILSURPS

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2005, 11:34:05 AM »
Reelfoot, rumor has it at our range a pard blew two guns up last season, a genuine Colt SAA and a three screw Ruger.  The rumor is also that the loads with a Dillon progressive press.......

Hey, haven't shot her yet, yesterday it didn't get up to -12 before work and today it's warmer but the wind is blowing like crazy and I need to sight in my Win94 too.  Put a new front sight on her.

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2005, 02:28:40 PM »
Ok, got out to shoot her yesterday after all.  Looking at the weather report and it was Thursday or sometime after the first of the week as another Arctic cold front is moving in.

She works great in dry fire mode but it just isn’t the same!

Now this isn’t Scientific, just my general impressions.....

Appearance wise she is a beauty.  Balance good.  She has a wide front blade and a square cut notch in the rear which seems to let you get a better sight picture quicker.

Front of the cylinder is beveled for getting in the holster better.

The hammer is different from the Colt/clone too.  Higher and farther back.  I thought it would get in the way but out on the range it was easier to get a hold of, particularly with the ever growing frozen fingers syndrome.  It makes shooting two handed much smoother.

As stated earlier for those of you that might be worried about the internal gun lock, don’t be.  You have to take off the grip panels to access it and upon inspection I don’t see anyway it could accidently jam.  If it further worries you it looks like it could be replaced with minimal effort.

Maybe someone could get a side line going making the replacement part.... If the lock is something you were looking forward to and would use it on a regular basis, keep the kids safe for example, they include instructions for drilling the grip panel out for easy access.

They also give you two little keys that have a screwdriver on the side to get the grip screw off.  These will fit on your key ring.  More on this later.

At 25 yards, leaning over the hood of my Bronco II, 26 degrees with a 22 mph cross wind, standing in a foot of snow I managed 3 shot  groups that averaged 1 3/4 inch.

She shot center and about 3-4 inches low from the point of aim.  I have loaded 250 grain RNFP with 5.8 grains of TiteGroup.

After the first three shots I go to pull the hammer back and it’s not working, jammed!

You pull the hammer back and the transfer bar goes up, hits the firing pin and won’t go up, no cylinder rotation, jammed.....

Now you savvy Ruger owners already got this figure out.  I have owned several in my life but haven’t had one in my hand for 15 years or better, and never had this trouble when I did.

It seems that the base pin assembly has a plunger pin in one end (the end that pints towards you), and this prevents the action from being cycled when the base pin assembly is removed, or partially removed as in this case. The recoil was making the base pin move forward enough to jam the action.
What was needed was a simple adjustment to the base pin latch (the button you push to unlock the base pin) and I reach in my handy range bag for a screwdriver and oh no, not there, they are in my gun cart, safe and warm at home.  What should I do?

The reader that has been paying attention knows, I grab my key ring and use my trusty Ruger New Vaquero internal gun lock key with screwdriver!  A couple of quick turns, the base pin assembly stays secure in place under recoil and the day is saved. :)

I really like the checkered black hard rubber grips.  They made it much easier to hold onto in the cold.

If you are a Colt/Clone purist, then this gun isn’t for you.  No half cock, opening the loading gate lets you rotate the cylinder with the hammer down.  Something about the sound and feel of spinning the cylinder isn’t quite right either.

There is about 1/8 of an inch of creep that keeps advancing the transfer bar when you pull the trigger.  If anyone knows how to fix that, besides the “ship it to a smith” response I would like to know.

Having said all that, I sure do like the way she shoots and I’m going to have to get me another one now so I won’t be lopsided! :-)

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2005, 01:44:11 PM »
Local dealer trying to order a couple.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2005, 01:44:00 PM »
Leather update!

I took some measurements, my new RNV and my Colt/clone Uberti Cattlemen..

Uberti cylinder measures roughly 1.668 diameter

RNV cylinder roughly 1.675, as I was experiencing some, what I thought was cylinder sticking I took more measurements.

The first picture shows the distance between the bottom of the trigger guard and the top of the frame.

Uberti 3.474     RNV 3.668

This is best illustrated by pictures two and three.  In picture two you can see my Uberti sitting in my "Big Jake" style holster I use for hunting, this holster is from KirkPatrick's.  Notice the trigger guard fit.

Now it the third picture you can see the fit of the RNV.  And it doesn't, so leather makers out there take notice of the problem.

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2005, 05:01:30 PM »
Fact is I'm so happy with the first one I had to get another....  ;)  SN/ 510-01090
And they look happy together. :)

Offline The Dispatcher

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2005, 06:25:05 PM »
Hey Michael    Used New Vaquero at Butterfield Gulch. Love the way is shoots and how now the cylinder indexes for loading and unloading. By the way I've got  #421 Thanks The Dispatcher  ;D

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2005, 01:53:49 PM »
Somebody (I ferget who) over on TFS has handled and (I think) bought one or a pair.

Everyone who's handled them seems to be very favorably impressed.  I'm not surprised.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline RowdyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2005, 11:44:11 AM »
Has the "new Vaquero" replaced the "old Vaquero" as a standard, or are both still in production concurrently.  Reason I ask, is I cannot find anything about the "new Vaquero" on the Ruger website.  They just call them "Vaquero's."

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2005, 03:43:36 PM »
The NRV's are replacing all versions except .44Mag. The load data marked for Ruger/ TC doesn't apply to the NRV's. Only loads up to SAAMI specs.. We've had a report of someone blowing an NRV already using specs for the BH/Contender or above them. The NRV's are for the CAS shooters, not the guys into heavy loads/ high pressure/ bazooka type ammo...........Buck 8) ??? ::) :o

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2005, 08:37:07 AM »
Second RNV Bought on 01-10-2005 SN/ 510-01090 Blue .45Colt
5 1/2 inch barrels, they are twins.

Right out of the box she had the same problem with the base pin assembly, this time it wouldn't come out for initial cleaning and inspection.

Just a couple of turns with the screw driver on the base pin assembly latch to knock what ever it is lose and it functions like normal.
Under the same conditions I shot same types of groups with this one as the last one.

Problem, after firing a few rounds I noticed that the cylinder was sticking one or or two shoots, this got worse fast and the cylinder would no longer advance by pulling the hammer back.

To make the cylinder advance you had to thumb the hammer back while rotating the cylinder by hand.
Note: This never happened during dry firing. Only after the cylinder was warm and dirty.

I took it apart, cleaned it up, put black magic marker on the forward end of the cylinder and fired more rounds.

I removed the cylinder and noticed that for the distance of about two chambers it was scraping metal. The front of the cylinder was in that limited area scraping against the back of the forcing cone (barrel).

I took the revolver home. Cleaned her up real good, and stoned the high chamber area. Took her back and shot a few more rounds.

This time it was much better, but still not right. So back home to stone some more. Not much material was removed. I like that nice tight cylinder gap and didn't want to make it any bigger, just true up the cylinder a bit.

This time I fired a full box with no hesitation!

I think I will enjoy these very much.

I hope this helps you some.

No, you shouldn't have to work on brand new guns.............

Offline Capt. George Baylor

• Citizen
    • Captain Baylor's Ranger Camp
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2005, 09:44:06 AM »
For a fairly comprehensive, mostly unbiased review of a pair of .357 Ruger New Vaqueros, please go to:
Ruger New Vaquero
Fully Sponsored by the Miracle Bullet Co.
"If it hits the target, it's a miracle."

Offline McGavin

• Thos. C. McGavin, DUSM NMT
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2005, 07:44:58 PM »
The first Vaqueros I encountered -- old style and several years ago -- had problems related to the base pin which required sending each of them back to Ruger, one of them twice. Since then I have read and listened to so many praises for teh dead reliability of the guns that I was wondering if our expereince was a fluke. I bought a Vaquero as a project -- tune it up, shoot it some and sell it -- and also encountered problems. I fixed them in like fashion to the way described and all was well.

Seems like the problems with the new Vaquero are just a continuation of the problems with the old. Anything made by people is subject to some difficulties, but a brand new gun should work right out of the box and not require the attention of the owner or a 'smith to make it right.

All that said, I think it says something that Ruger heard the comments made by many that the original Vaquero was just too large and rather clunky -- my opinion -- and that they could sell more of them if they were closer to the size and heft of a Colt or the clones. I'm looking forward to more on your adventure with the new addition to your safe.

McGavin
Thos. C. McGavin
DUSM, NM Territory
STORM # 181

"Don't let your mouth overload your hardware, cowboy." Frank Culpepper

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2005, 06:58:30 PM »
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2005, 12:58:04 PM »
Thanks Capt for the very fine article. I have a pair of SS RNVs on order. They should get here next week.
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2005, 07:57:39 PM »
Glad you guys are finding them. I've been to shops in three county's here and NADA. Not a single one to touch. Keep getting the song and dance that their distributors can't get'em. what the heck! distributors in N.E. Ohio on Ruger's sh*% list? Or are these guys not getting any till they sell the OLD ones off first? all I'm seeing are the big ones............Buck 8) ::) :o ??? :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com