Author Topic: Found a sister knife to my Bowie.  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
Found a sister knife to my Bowie.
« on: February 10, 2022, 01:58:42 PM »
A few weeks ago, I found a sister knife to the bowie I purchased last year. I would deem it a coffin handle Arkansas toothpick. I just received it in the mail a few days ago. The only con was I felt the handle was too big and not proportionate to the symmetry of the knife, so I had to grind it narrower which put the scale pins close to the edge especially on the coffin end of the handle and like on the Bowie knife I still don’t care for the larger decorative pins. I also had to regrind the hand guard as the original I didn’t care for, too big. I will make a better sheath for it as soon as I get some leather.

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
Re: Found a sister knife to my Bowie.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 03:57:00 PM »
Those look pretty good. I've always liked the coffin handles. Where are you finding these? Are they from a specific importer?
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 04:46:58 PM »
Those look pretty good. I've always liked the coffin handles. Where are you finding these? Are they from a specific importer?

Coal Greek Griff, I found them both on ebay. Just do a search for feather Damascus knives. Also, most of the sellers will take a best offer. The individual I purchased the more recent knife from goes by "skcustomknife". You might also be able to find them on Amazon but they do not have a best offer option.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:57:01 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 07:12:41 PM »
Thanks! After you had first posted the picture of your Bowie, I had started browsing Pakistani knives on eBay, but I hadn't come across any that I liked as well. I'll check out what that seller offers.

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 03:58:12 PM »
I recently found a knife that I thought would be a sister knife to the Damascus Bowie I bought last year. When I received it, I did not like the hand guard as with the Bowie I purchased last year, so like the Bowie I reground the hand guard. The handle was also too big and fat, so I also ground it down as well to be in better proportion to the blade and to fit my hand. It put some of the pins close to the edge of the handle, but it is acceptable to me. Also, the sheath that came with the knife was not up to my standards for a nice cowboy look so I made a new sheath. Here are some photos comparing my Bowie from last year and the recent Arkansas Toothpick I purchased as its sister.

Offline KenH

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 08:06:33 AM »
As much as I hate to admit it (I make custom knifes), those are some really good looking blades.  Really good looking feather Damascus.

Now, those sheaths you made - WOW!!!  You're a real leather worker with good skills.  I'm impressed with the designs and craftsmanship exhibited in the making.  Good job!

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 04:05:02 PM »
As much as I hate to admit it (I make custom knifes), those are some really good looking blades.  Really good looking feather Damascus.

Now, those sheaths you made - WOW!!!  You're a real leather worker with good skills.  I'm impressed with the designs and craftsmanship exhibited in the making.  Good job!

KenH, thank you for the kind remarks.

Some years back I made a few knives by the stock removal and heat treating method. I had a thing for Bowies and could not afford a custom knife so I decided to make one myself. After I had several attempts under my belt I made this knife along with some others along the way for about three or four years until one day I just decided to quit. I still buy a blank blade ever now and then and regrind it to my liking and add bolsters and scales, but I no longer build from a blank billet or forging.

The knife pictured is made from a 3/8" thick 01 tool steel billet that a custom knife maker friend gave me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com