Author Topic: The Last Patrol  (Read 302662 times)

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Last Patrol
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »
"It is Missus Coatsworth," replied Ella, silently thanking Bo for the information about Cyrus.  "Thank you for the welcome.  I believe I had met you before, while helping my Aunt Helen keep you alive after you had an argument with a bear."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2007, 09:59:07 AM »
He thought he’d recognized Ella although he couldn’t place her right away. Cyrus had been a lot of places over the years with the Army and met a lot of women, ones who most likely still carried a dislike for the man no doubt. Once she spoke he knew immediately, Cyrus could remember voices, he couldn’t always put a face to them but he could remember the voices. Certain ones stood out more in his memory than others.

Cyrus held her hand for a moment looking down before he let it go. He could remember the touch of a girl who he guessed washed the wounds some. “I remember a young nurse and her assistant.” His eyes met Ella’s “Grammy would say this one still had a fighting chance. His heart still beats strong. That was the first time we met?” 
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2007, 02:11:24 PM »
Ella smiled at hearing those words quoted back at her.  She had said them dozens of times, and most of the patients had survived.  "I'm pretty sure it was the first time we had met.  Before Cold Harbor, I was in Connecticut with my grandmother.  Aunt Helen was in the hospital tents from the beginning of the war."
Elegant Ella

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 03:38:29 PM »

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2007, 10:22:20 PM »
“I remember your Aunt. I remember she helped the ones that needed it the most first, didn’t matter the color of the skin or the uniform they were wearing. I know doctors have an oath of some sort, but sometimes the color of the uniform or the skin dictates what kind of care one will get.

We will be riding with men of different colors; different beliefs. If  you are anything like your aunt, which I think you are, I believe if those men are wounded they truly will not know how lucky they are you are near.”  Cyrus said.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2007, 11:48:31 PM »
"Grammy taught us both.  I think the Healers Oath she taught us might be a heavier obligation than the oath doctors swear.  The Healers Oath doesn't allow me to deny my services to anyone who needs them.  Our posse had to get used to me treating outlaws we captured," replied Ella.  "I spent some time last summer learning from the medicine man of a local Indian tribe.  I had already learned during the War that gray-coat or blue-coat didn't make any difference to the treatment a wounded man would need.  Occasionally during the War, someone important would come on an inspection tour.  After he toured the prison hospitals, there would be a fuss about the lack of care being provided to wounded prisoners.  Dr. Coatsworth would volunteer to work at the prison for a while, and request my assistance.   Since he often bothered the other doctors, nagging at them to wash their hands and their instruments, they were willing to send him away for a couple months, even though they were always short-staffed. "
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2007, 09:18:57 PM »
Cyrus chuckled at Ella’s comment regarding the nagging doctors. “Welcome to the team Missus Coatsworth.”

Cyrus walked around Lucky looking over the horse and the gear he carried, coming to a stop in front of the woman who held his reins he said. “Do you know how to use that big rifle you got stuck on that horse?”

“I don’t pack anything I am not efficient with.” Scarlet replied knowing he was judging her.

Cyrus eyed her, she looked familiar too. When he spotted the Dragoon in the shoulder holster he immediately knew why.

“If we were enemies how much of a chance do you think you’d have with that.” He pointed at the shoulder holster. “Would ‘ve  thought the wife of the late Mr. Corbin would be packin’ something quicker to reload.”

Scarlet half smiled. “If we were enemies Mr. Kane I would have shot you with this.” She said pulling her duster back so he could see the Colt that rested in the cross draw holster. “while you were staring at what I carry between my shoulders.”

Cyrus laughed softly at her remark. “Fair nuff. Tell me Missus Corbin, are the rumors I’ve heard about you true?”

“Depends on what you’ve heard Mr. Kane.” She replied.

“I heard you know what it’s like to be skinned by an injun.”

Scarlet took off her duster and laid it across Lucky’s saddle then turned around and pulled her shirt up in the back.

Cyrus narrowed his eyes as he looked at the fine white line that followed her spine.

Scarlet started to tuck her shirt back in before she turned back to face him.

“That wasn’t done by no Indian though. That was done by a white man. So you see Mr. Kane to answer the question you have not asked but are working up to. Yes, I know what  I could be getting into and I know what it is like to be in fight.”

Cyrus slightly dipped his head in understanding. “Welcome to the team.” He said extending his hand.

“You haven’t asked if I am any kind of a decent tracker.” Scarlet said shaking his hand.

“I knew he was white too. Just one of the rumors said Indian. I was interested in what you say. If Bo says he prefers to ride with you I am not going to question your skills any more. ”With that they stepped over to Tensleep.

“This is Marshal Ross.” Bo said.

“Marshal, what interest does a marshal have with going out with us?” Cyrus asked.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2007, 06:31:59 PM »
Being alone on the trail gave a man lots of thime to think.  His mind drifted back to those early days.  He was just a green kid, wearing "dirty shirt blue."  That green wore off real fast on the plains.  Then there was the war.  There were small pieces of him that remained on those distant battlefields.  His blood seeped into the ground there.  Places like Antietam...Gettysburg...the Shenandoah.  A part of him would always be there.  He'd made a difference then, and in the years that followed.  He'd trained the men that served on the frontier.  Hopefully, his training had saved some lives.  Then, on his insistance, he'd gone back to the unit he loved.  The men he knew.  The place he called home. 

He squinted into the sun.  "God works in mysterious ways," he said to no one in particular.  While he sat in the squalor of a Mexican jail, he'd wished he never taken the mission.  But if he hadn't, he'd never have met Scarlet.  He missed her, that was certain.

But he rode with a confidence that pushed that thought aside.  He was going back to the Second.     

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2007, 06:59:55 PM »
"Not my first time to ride with the Army Mr Kane. I was a Captain with the First Ohio years back, then scouted here in Montana and Wyoming  before I took a Deputy Marshal's job. Still.... reason I'm here this time is to 'observe and evaluate' two of my deputies, they are looking for a woman named Carrie Moore who is running the plains we hear. So, I reckon that you are stuck with me as long as US Deputy Marshal Missus Ella Coatsworth and US Deputy Marshal Missus 'Scarlet' King are riding with you."
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2007, 08:46:32 PM »
Ella turned to Tensleep, "I thought we were going to find Carrie Moore, and then you would carry her off to justice while we finish what we sign up to do with the Army?"
Elegant Ella

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2007, 09:16:24 AM »

"From what I have heard about Missus Moore, I doubt that there will be much to carry back to justice, but we will see what we will see."
Tensleep paused. "You ladies aren't signed up with the Army, you are just on detatched duty, loaned from the US Marshal."
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2007, 10:37:29 PM »
“How ever yer gonna cut it, I appreciate good help. I’ve got some good scouts but there is tension between some of them and between some of the soldiers.  With any luck they won’t start killin’ one another.” Cyrus replied extending his hand. “Welcome to Fort Laramie Marshal Ross.”

Tensleep shook his hand.

“Follow me and I’ll show you around and introduce you to the people you will be riding with that are here. Some of them are already at Ft. Fetterman.” Cyrus replied.

Cyrus lead the way to the stables and waited while the group saw to the needs of their horses. The two women were of interest to him. Most women he knew would have asked someone to do it for them, some help if nothing else. Both of these women seemed to be content doing it themselves. The fact Ella had helped in the medical tents at such a young age told him something about her character. In fact from the experience with Ella’s aunt Cyrus head learned not to judge women to quickly.  He had to admire Ella based on what he knew of her.

Scarlet he knew from some of the things he’d heard from Travis and some of the things he’d from Bo over the years. An angel with a devilish spirit seemed to echo through his mind, Travis always like the ones that were high spirited. Her mother’s charm and her father’s temper that was one of the things Bo had told him. He’d been honest when he’d told Scarlet he would not question the skills of the people Bo rode with. Bo would ride alone before he rode with people who he didn’t trust or he knew couldn’t cover his back.

Cyrus also noticed the group worked together. Bo had finished taking care of his horses first then went to help Ella. It was obvious she didn’t need the help, she was very capable from what Cyrus could tell, it was just a team effort for everyone to finish together.

When the horses taken care of Cyrus showed them to where they’d be bunking for the next couple of days or so before they departed for Ft. Fetterman. The men would be bunking with the other scouts that they would be riding with, the women could share one of the empty quarters. He then took them around and introduced them to the others that would be riding with them.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2007, 04:01:09 PM »
After being done with introductions, Ella headed for the kitchen.  The cook was an older trooper, with a bad limp. 

"Hello," she called from the doorway, "May I help?  I rode in today with Bo Corbin." 
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2007, 09:04:15 PM »
"Don't know the name." The man grunted.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2007, 11:16:20 PM »
The first day at the fort seemed to drag to Scarlet. Some of the men that she’d be ridding with made no bones what they thought about having a couple of women along that would need watchin’ over along with them. Of course the comments were made between themselves when they didn’t think Scarlet and Ella would hear them. Scarlet figured that was ok, she’d been with men like them before. Minding her own business and doing things on her own seemed to be the best way to get their attention.

Scarlet shouldered the sharps and went to find a place to practice.

Private Billy Glass hurried to catch up to the woman who’d walked past him. The big rifle made him nervous.

“Pardon me ma’am.” He called after her.

Scarlet stopped, turned on her heel and faced the man. “Something you need soldier.”

He stopped quickly nearly running into her. He’d been standing not far from Cyrus when she had shown him the scars on her back but he’d not paid attention to her face. Somehow his mind had just focused on the fact the woman had lived through something like that. Now standing here face to face he realized she was not anything like he’d figured. She was softer looking up close, the sun danced through her blonde hair making it look like silk. Her eyes…her eyes looked right into his and he realized he’d not said anything for a long time.

“Private?” She repeated.

“Ah..Where you headed with that.” He pointed to the rifle thinking how ridiculous he just sounded.

“Is there someplace I can practice?” She replied.

“Are you really going to shoot it?”

The minute she narrowed her eyes he felt even more stupid. “I’ve never seen a rifle like that up close.” He said trying to regain some composure.

“If there is someplace I can, yes.”

“Follow me.” He said heading towards the back wall. “Sometimes the sharpshooters practice from up there.”

One man was already up there practicing. Billy followed Scarlet up the steps and stood back watching as she carefully chose a target.

The two shooters took turns for some time each picking a target further than the other.

“I’m empty.” The man said as he put his rifle down.

“You would be a deadly opponent.”

The man’s head snapped sideways hearing a woman’s voice. A grin slowly appeared on his lips. “I hope I never find myself on the other end of that rifle with you looking down it.” The man said extending his hand. “Teddy Grey is the name.”

Scarlet shook his hand. “Call me Scarlet.” She said flashing a charming smile. “Thank you for sharing your wall with me Mr. Grey.” Scarlet said as she gathered her gear. “Thank you for your assistance Private.” She replied then headed towards the stairs.

“I doubt you will need much watchin’ after Scarlet.” Teddy said with a wink.

Scarlet laughed softly. “Thank you Mr. Grey.” She said.

The two men stood on the wall and watched her cross the grounds towards her quarters.

“I’ve never seen anything like that.” Billy said.

“That thair is a Thoroughbred Billy boy.”  Teddy said watching her walk away.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2007, 01:06:50 AM »
"No matter whether you know him or not," replied Ella, ignoring the gruffness in the man's tone.  "I'm Ella Coatsworth.  I came with ones that Cyrus Kane asked to help dealing with the scouts.  I wanted to see if I could offer some help cooking while we're still here, and maybe get a chance to fix some tastier travel food to take along."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2007, 08:20:37 AM »
The man finally looked at Ella one eyebrow raised. "Ya think my cookin' is bad?" He snorted.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2007, 09:10:17 AM »
"I don't know anything about your cooking.  I do know what standard issue trail rations are like, and those are bad," replied Ella calmly.
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »
This time the man faced Ella. "Well don't ya know missus yer supposed to sneak that inta the food supply of the enemy. Then when they is wishin' they was dead ya can go easily right inta their camp." The man began to laugh as he waved her in.

"dealing with the scouts huh? Ol' Cyrus keeps those boyz in line pretty well and they are happy to eat trail rations. Them boyz eat just about anything ifin ya cook it or not. Ah sure some of 'em 'er fussy but only if he lets 'em sit around to long with nuthin' ta do."

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2007, 09:33:52 PM »
He could hear Scarlet talking..."This adds to the degree of difficulty."

Fritz laughed, but only on the inside.  The sound of the set trigger had scared the tom off, and it had taken almost an hour to call him back.  He'd considered using the '66 for the hunt, but Fritz only had a limited amount of ammo for the carbine.  When it was gone, that was that.  He had plenty of government .45 ammo, and he'd be able to replenish what he used. 

Fritz was a patient man, but his body wasn't as patient as it once was.  His forearms were tingling, and his right foot was asleep.  There was no way he could hit the bobbing and weaving head at this range, but Fritz figured if he hit the body where the neck met, he could take him.

Fritz held his breath, and touched the trigger.  The report echoed across the landscape.  The other birds scattered.  The tom's neck and head disappeared.  It stood there for a moment, blood pumping from the stump.  It took a step, and fell dead.

Fritz levered himself up.  The pain would pass.  He had his dinner.  He walked forward the collected the bird.

"Lord, thank you for the gifts you have bestowed," he said, then walked back to the spot where Strider and Buddy were tethered.     

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2007, 10:53:12 PM »
Scarlet sat outside the room she was sharing with Ella and cleaned the rifle. Her mind wandered. She could feel the warmth of his hand as he held hers, see the smile in his eyes as he looked into hers, she smiled at the memory. Although Fritz had not been gone long it felt like forever and she missed him terribly.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com