Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Cas City Historical Society

I thought some here would find this interesting.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dave T:
tobb,

Looking forward to your future installments.  Thanks for posting this.  When I lived in Tucson, Tombstone was one of my favorite places to visit.

Dave

Silver Creek Slim:

--- Quote from: The original bad bob on August 05, 2021, 11:33:42 AM ---Slim, I believe the windows in this tombstone home were fabricated on site by carpenters with hand tools... The problem with these windows not have window weights that I am encountering is that over the years people living there put screws , nails, tension clips and other modifications in the window frames to jimmy rig a way to keep them up for ventilation... currently the place only has gas heat.. no air conditioner

The windows are repairable.. just tedious to have to wood epoxy all the structural issues in them .. re glazing is also “fun” :D

--- End quote ---
I used a stick to hold the windows open before I replaced all of them.

Slim

Story:

--- Quote from: The original bad bob on August 03, 2021, 01:45:50 PM --- The owner wants to restore the front of the residence to match the back while including modern kitchen appliances and bathroom amenities... 

--- End quote ---

Just a tangential notion, but I'll assume this means a refrigerator and microwave. 

Could a college-dorm style 'frig be hidden inside of a gutted period icebox and a microwave likewise something like a breadbox with a side swinging (rather than drop down) door?

The appliance efforts would more closely match your remodeling.

PS - I am not particularly imaginative, and this proves precedence
Then came the refrigerator dilemma. When an icebox company failed to deliver, the Foxes found the Liebherr Company, a German appliance maker than offers an integrated refrigerator of reasonable size. Working from Matthew Roman’s sketches (which took cues from a McCray icebox), Brendon Powell built the wooden case and doors at his shop.
https://www.oldhouseonline.com/kitchens-and-baths-articles/reproduction-kitchen-in-an-old-house/

Advertising:

Story:

--- Quote from: The original bad bob on August 04, 2021, 10:02:28 AM ---The work I have started there to date is having a dumpster delivered, and working on the old sash windows that are also original to the house... The old sash windows are unusual in that they were built and installed without window weights... I have heard about these but up until now never worked on them.

--- End quote ---

Before things become too trampled, you might suggest the owners have someone proficient with metal detecting sweep around in the grass by those doors.

A friend of mine would do detecting in a major urban city's old mill neighborhood that was mostly mid-19th century row homes mixed with small individual houses. He had the best luck near doors, around the base of stairs - figured that the guys coming home after a beer or three would dig around in their pockets for the door key - disgorging the coins and all sorts of other stuff he'd find in the process.

Any finds would make for interesting shadowbox displays, hung near the doors where they were discovered.

The original bad bob:
 Story, this property has been vacant for at least 20 years.. it is right in the heart of what they call the historic district ... .. The scope of my work keeps increasing on the inside of the house... The lots are rectangular shaped and the yard is quite long and narrow and no one has maintained the yard for quite a while and there are 3’ tall weeds with the worst thorns I have ever seen in my life on them... it definitely needs to be cleaned up before any metal detecting could be done... the inside of this house can best be described as creepy... as in if ghosts really exist I’m probably going to see one.. last time I was there I was talking apart a window and I swore I saw Wyatt Earp walk by the open window... it turns out I did... it was a reinactor Wyatt Earp though.  :D
I’m certain the real Wyatt walked past this place many times and was probably inside the house based on the judge that lived there.
I’m going to be installing new exterior doors there soon as well as taking a few more windows apart to work on restoring them... I’m a little apprehensive about replacing the doors because the exterior walls are real adobe and that is something I have no experience working with if say the door jambs have issues with no or rotted wood backing... remember, this place was built in 1880 before building codes or inspections etc.. etc.... this structure survived the 1881 and 1882 fires and it will be interesting to see what is behind the drywall drop down ceiling that is in the living room or parlor area of the house

I’m sure there was an outhouse at one time in the yard as well as a standing shed that has some interesting artifacts inside ... I will update this with more photos soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version