Author Topic: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies.  (Read 86862 times)

Offline Wireman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies.
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2009, 12:55:43 AM »
We ustah due dat on nah dip at ah RRXing. Tossed ah feller in the back seat to the roof one time in the Montego . Tawlk about ah Rag.

If ya cut on the left turn signal and put yer foot on the brake pedal..... The Radio would play....with out the Keys, from the factory.

Anunnder cool car was ah Barracuda.... Man, was that back glass cool. The Push button shift was MADE ta do burnouts wid.

Sweet mud buggy!

Ya'll remember the VW Thing? The WWII kooble car?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2009, 01:13:06 AM »
I paid for it. The flyin’ car Wizards materialized in my bed room. I was atomized ‘n taken to Planet 13. There, I was thrown inta bed with Momma Whiz. Knowin’ my only way back home wuz ta wear ‘er out, I did. Last I saw they were werkin’ CPR on the wretched ole gal.

I passed out ‘n woke up in my bed back home. The Falcon in the drive, never ta fly again..

Del, the answer is I had ta take ‘nother pill ‘n can’t sleep. Might as well play with the….
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2009, 01:36:25 AM »
Good luck, I'm off to bed.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 01:37:11 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2009, 02:15:20 AM »
I think everyone did stupid stuff in their cars when they were young, I know that I did. Before he was elected Sheriff, my Dad knew all the LEO's in the county. I had to behave myself around town or he would be the first to hear about it.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2009, 11:33:07 AM »
I done some things on them iron ponies that was plain dumb.  musta had an angel on ma shoulder.  Had to.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2009, 11:50:52 AM »
seems like that being young  brings on that devil may care  attitude with cars. Done too many things back then to hardly remember,  was awful lucky with them close calls.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2009, 12:06:13 PM »
The red one would move, you could peg the 90 mph speedometer and it would keep goin' faster for a bit.  Then it wouldn't go no faster and the speedometer would wobble.  Durn bugs would have a slight frontend lift at what was 'spossed to be right at 100 and lose enough areo-dynamics it slowed.  Least that's what the experts said.  Fast enough.

We worked on it one night in the shop after work, headed out on I-80 west, CB said I had a clear shot and lost a rear tire at about 85. ::)  Took my foot off the gas and rode it out.  Tire was shot, so was the rim, kept the shiny side up though.

Had the suspension set up so it would corner like a real sports car, fun little car, don't want one like that no more, might get in trouble.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2009, 03:35:10 PM »
seems like that being young  brings on that devil may care  attitude with cars. Done too many things back then to hardly remember,  was awful lucky with them close calls.

In motorsicklin they got a thing called a poker run.  Ya follow a route an stop at certain places ta draw a card.  At the end they have prizes fer the highest an lowest hand.  I pulled outta the second ta last stop which was on a windy mountain road an was stuck bahind at least a hunnert other bikes.  Pulled her over crost the double yella an nailed it.  Leanin that thing in ways it weren't made ta be leaned an throwin sparks the whole way.  Wore off one of the exhaust brackets and the primary case fluid plug.  I passed em all but man that was STUPID.  That's one of the reasons I've retired from 2 wheeled activities.  Somethin gets inta ya.  (but it was fun)

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2009, 03:40:24 PM »
Hopefully we get smarter as we get older and not take any dangerous chances.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2009, 04:20:43 PM »
Oh, I'm Johnny Cautious these days.  I just look back an wonder how in the world I'm still here.  My main mission these days is ta make it ta bed at night an wake up in the mornin with Lil next ta me.  Seem ta be doin ok with that so far...

Roland Deschain

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
Played in the snow with that beast:

as much as mud.  Had a set of chains slightly to small to go in the tires, could not get then hooked.  Simple, pull the cores out, and toss a sissiors jack or floor jack uner it and lift up the back, put them on and re-air them to about 10 lbs.  Never came loose.

We'd hit the back roads and they ones that wern't plowed sometimes had drifts 3 feet deep or so, just don't slow down, hit it and tabbogon over them on the floor pan, could be 100 feet long and you'd still make it fine.

Was fun to do with someone whoed never done it before, freaked em out when they could feel the floor move up under their feet. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2009, 06:12:34 PM »
Leo, didn't find the exact add I wanted, but this one will do:

and now you know why nice girls don't date guys with Nash's. ::) :o ;D

1949 Nash Ambasador ad, the full size one.  Note it had coil springs all the way around as well as it having unii-body construction.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2009, 07:34:45 PM »
I remember seeing the old black and white Nash squad cars on Superman.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2009, 08:44:08 PM »
That's the equivalent of "don't date boys with vans" taday.

Roland Deschain

Offline Wireman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2009, 10:56:26 PM »
Da Buick was ah Hatchback.  :o

::)

:-X

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2009, 11:17:29 PM »
I done some things on them iron ponies that was plain dumb.  musta had an angel on ma shoulder.  Had to.
I think we all did. I sure did my share.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2009, 12:10:59 AM »
Cracked the nose cone on the gear box on the beast, made it hard to shift and the shifter would torque over a bit.  Got another one, little brother was 16-17 and had helped put the bug he drove together.  Paid him to put it in, $20 bucks and lunch.  The bolts on the solid steel gearbox mounts looked a bit abused.  Gave him some cash and he went and bought new ones and put them in.

Went out and jumped it the next day, limped back about 20 miles in second, was stuck there.  didn't realize he missed the class on bolts, he just bought grade 2's, snapped half them right off. ;D  Showed him the three lines on the heads of the old ones, the no lines on the new ones and off we went to a parts house and got ones with 5 lines. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2009, 04:34:18 PM »
That was a lesson well learned.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »
On a slightly different track, as I was telling Leo today there are two folks here in Lincoln that have finished their third book of pictures and memories of Lincoln and are getting started on a 4th.  Met them this weekend and bought their new book.  They asked me to send them some memories of growing up here and any old pictures I know of.  did some searching today on American Memory and found these two jewels from 1942 in downtown Lincoln, color slide. ;D

Some nice cars in them.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2009, 06:40:01 PM »
Had to make a run for bullets this morning, and the route took me up thru Virginia City there and back.  On the way up I was slowed down by a nice ’68 Corvette.  On the way back passed a fully restored Metropolitan in white and turquoise.  Then Got slowed up thru VC by a pretty Shelby Cobra.
This week is Hot August Nights here in Reno!  From now until this coming Sunday we will be covered in restored classic cars and trucks!!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com