Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Cutting Edge

Joe Musso Bowie

<< < (2/2)

1961MJS:

--- Quote from: KenH on January 22, 2021, 01:17:14 PM ---Thank you for the nice words on the Bowie.  I looked for Norm Flayderman's "BOWIE" book, and found it's $185 for a used book, and $249 for a new copy.  I guess I'll have to pass on buying my own copy {g}.  Here's a site with some good info and photos of the original Bowies, and thumbnail history of each:
https://relentlessknives.com/newsletter0411.html

--- End quote ---

Hi
Keep looking for a copy, I bought a copy a few years ago for under $50.00.  That was good.  My 30 year old daughter thought it was a catalog, which is a bad thing.
Later

Robert Swartz:

--- Quote from: 1961MJS on January 25, 2021, 04:55:21 PM ---Hi
Keep looking for a copy, I bought a copy a few years ago for under $50.00.  That was good.  My 30 year old daughter thought it was a catalog, which is a bad thing.

--- End quote ---

Gonna say, that sounds awful pricey. I let go of a bunch of BP books a couple years back that were supposed to be worth a lot. Had a buddy trying to learn gunsmithing so made him a couple trades. He got the better end of it. I had nothing in them. They were given to me. I've had my copy for close to 20 years. Keep your eyes out and don't forget Half Price books. you can still be stunned at what shows up on their shelves, still.

Cliff Fendley:
Gil Hibben, my neighbor, teacher, and mentor for knifemaking, has been making Musso Bowie knives since the 1960s or 70s. The one he made for the Expendables movies is the same pattern just with Ivory Micarta handle because Stallone wanted it to show in the lighting. Thats when Gil mentioned to Stallone the Ivory Micarta scrims just like real Ivory so Stallone sent him the artwork they were using for the film to have scrimed on the handles.

Anyway didn't mean to get off track but Gil has an old tracing of the original Musso Bowie with notes. I've got a tracing of the pattern myself from him and there are a couple little things to do if you want it to be more like the Musso Bowie. One that stands out if you know what to look for is there is actually a short hollow grind at the starting of the recasso. I actually have one of those blades started in my shop, rough ground and heat treated I really should take time to finish.

Advertising:

KenH:
Thank you - PM was sent.

Ken H>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version