Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1892

Chiappa 1892?

(1/4) > >>

ndnchf:
Does anyone have experience with these? A LGS has a used .44-40 rifle on the rack. Its really nice looking, but I haven't heard much about their quality and accuracy. Those that have one, please tell me about it - thanks.

greyhawk:

--- Quote from: ndnchf on August 29, 2020, 03:36:50 PM ---Does anyone have experience with these? A LGS has a used .44-40 rifle on the rack. Its really nice looking, but I haven't heard much about their quality and accuracy. Those that have one, please tell me about it - thanks.

--- End quote ---

How used?
Reason I ask is I bought a chiappa 86 used - almost new - didnt check it out for function before I took it - would not feed from the magazine tube - required major gunsmithing internals - yeah he woulda took it back - but I shot it single loaded before I made the decision and no way was that gun going back to the shop!! The barrel is tops - scary accurate - and I have a real nice 86 several hundred bucks under new. Slug the barrel and put a few dummy rounds through it before you leave the shop - if it ends up as good as my 86 you will be a happy camper --

Coffinmaker:

:)  ndnchf  :D

Nope.  I don't currently have one and have never had one, however I did action work on quite a few when I was still in the business.  Quite well made.  Good Machine work and will clean up to run exceptionally fast, if that matters.

For the accuracy question, Ima Dry Hole.  Didn't shoot em.  I don't like to just Parrot others so can't make a call there.

Advertising:

Johnson Barr:
I have a beautiful take-down short rifle in .44-40. Slick as glass right out of the box. No smith work needed what so ever. It shoots stunningly tight groups at 50yds. (my normal posse target distance), but it does prefer 200gr. hard cast bullets sized to .427.

ndnchf:
This morning I went down and bought the .44wcf Chiappa m1892 rifle. It was marked as  used, but it sure looks new to me. When I got home, I didn't even bring it in the house. Instead I brought out my shooting gear and an assortment of loads made up for my '73 carbine and headed for the gun club :-)

At the range I found it operated very smoothly and functioned perfectly. Since I've not yet slugged the bore, I did not know what to expect. After playing with the sights a bit to get it on target at 50yds. It did pretty well. The best load seemed to be the duplex load of 4gr RL7, 30gr Goex 2F and the 30-1 427098 bullet sized .429".

I'll be adding a tang sight to help my 60+ year old eyes. Overall I'm very pleased with the fit, finish, function and accuracy of the rifle. I know Chiappa's quality has been spotty in the past. But this one is a winner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version