Author Topic: New camp butcher knife for me  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
New camp butcher knife for me
« on: May 06, 2018, 10:22:51 PM »
Several years ago Rita's Aunt gave me a sad old butcher knife.  Had a pine handle on it held on with machine screws and nuts.

Marked Weck & Muller Soligen Germany the steel as expected seemed very good.  Was a half tang but length, just not full width.

Well I removed the old handle (scales seems the wrong word.) and it was a mess, the tang was very rusty and pitted and it got set aside for another day.  That day came recent, filled the pits with JB Weld and sanded it smooth so the epoxy didn't need to bridge a gap.

Dug in my wood stash and chose a piece of Old World walnut.  Inlet the tang in on side and epoxied it in place.  Trued everything up and put the other side in place.  Annealed brass rod for the rivets, sanded the wood after final shaping.  Used 2 stains and some of my tricks to really bring the grain out and then the many coats of hand rubbed linseed oil.

I know have a new camp butcher knife, my wife has kinda laid claim to my nice old Sheffield one because camp season and watermelon season over lap.

Couple years ago I had a message in the evening upset because she had to use the smaller butcher knife for a melon.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: New camp butcher knife for me
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 06:24:42 AM »
Looks dang good Dell, that handle looks like it has been on there from the get go . Blade shape is perfect for kitchen work and about anything else . ,,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com