Author Topic: 7 rounds in magazine approved by WB committee !!  (Read 17011 times)

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
7 rounds in magazine approved by WB committee !!
« on: August 25, 2017, 07:49:58 AM »
Official start date 1-1-18.  Per Happy Jack. So get ready for an exciting 2018 in wild bunch! Dusty Boddams

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: 7 rounds in magazine approved by WB committee !!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 07:22:58 PM »
Nobody has anything to say so I'll break the deafening silence. Please don't get me wrong, I like Traditional WB. Like the guns, the gear and the uniforms. This however sounds even more like ipsc in cowboy boots than Modern WB IS. 7 rounds in a mag looks like a spotters headache and a definite increase in difficulty to the average SASS shooter who without the 5 rd mag/ 5 target order to help keep a 20 plus round order of engagement  straight in his head is going to have problems. We ain't getting any younger and this imo is going to make it harder. This won't affect the A shooters as they already shoot ipsc and it actually makes their life much easier but to a SASS shooter who competes with SAs 3 weekends a month and a 1911 the other weekend not so much. Time will tell, I might be full of buffalo chips but don't think that I like this 'improvement'.
As an afterthought. You know those great big cowboy hats with those big brims really get in the way, slow me down something fierce, maybe the WB Committee will allow smaller brims on just the front part style'o cowboy hats next year too. Couple of conchos on the brim, a horsehair braid and a Montana peak! Shooter ready. Beep!
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 08:19:13 PM »
I've always seen 5 rounds in the magazine as sort of Oxymoron.  5 round magazines has always made WB nothing more than CAS with a 1911.  Of course, I have real deep Heartburn with what SASS has done to Wild Bunch anyway so it actually made some sense that SASS would limit magazine capacity along with screwing up everything else.

It's sort of a "What Took Ya Sol Long" sort of thing.  Trying to figure out why that magazine thing is so Long??  Maybe we should put more rounds innit??  Who'd a thought.  Novel concept ... that.

Time to clean and oil up my Broom Handle yet??  Thought not..

B. Ed,  Think you've got a pretty valid stand too.  35 round pistol stage be fun to keep track of.  No it wouldn't.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:49:41 AM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 09:09:57 PM »
WB is getting more like the GAF.  ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 08:25:15 AM »
Wild bunch is not part of my old west.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 02:32:55 PM »
... that's because it ain't Cowboy - it's Mexican Revolution. The Cowboy era was gone by then.

Anyone who can count to 5 can count to 7, at least he/she oughta be able to.

I haven't seen the rule change. Does it men that you get more targets to shoot at or more rds to fire at the usual number?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »
Coffinmaker, I was thinking about this as I drove 2 hrs to my clubs monthly match today. It could work if the match creator used 4 and 7 target arrays rather than 3 and 5 like we use now in sass. 4 targets could be a nevada sweep or multiples of and the 7 would be just a sweep but again multiples would work but get real complicated ie a triple tap sweep of the 7 tgts.??? Still think it'll be a spotters nightmare. Just thinking out loud.  Next thing they'll want to paint the steel between shooters.
What'd you think of my hat idea?
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
O.  O. O. O.
1   2. 3  4
7   6. 5.               
Continuous Nevada sweep
21 or 28 rounds
Start on #1 each mag
--------------------------
O. O. O. O.
1  2. 3. 4
5  6. 7
Sweep but not continuous
Start #1 each mag
----------------------------
O. O. O. O. O.
1  2. 3  4. 5
      7  6
Nevada sweep
Start on #1 each mag
----------------------------
O. O. O. O. O.
1  3. 5. 4. 2
   6     7
Outside to center
Start on #1 each mag
-----------------------------
O. O. O. O. O.
4  3. 1. 2. 5
   7     6
Center to outside
Start on center each mag.
------------------------------
O. O. O.
1  2. 3
5  4
   6  7
Nevada sweep
Start on #1 and end on 3
With each mag
--------------------------------
O. O. O.
4  1  2
   5  6
Nevada sweep start and end on center each mag.
----------------------------------
These were written and well thought out sweeps that are simple and shows that 7 rounds isn't more complicated it's just more shooting and just to be clear more is good! These were written by HooDoo Brown and pardon the pun but I think he did a bang up job! Good stuff! Dusty Boddams

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
I might, I said might, have to amend my initial post, Dusty. I do like your post. But, throw in a miss or two, a malfunction or two with a double tap of these sweeps and lost you are. I like what Matthew McConaughey said on Colbert a while back "Found myself right where I left me." We've got 4 months to practice getting lost and found.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »
B.E., it's going to be a little different and interesting that's for sure. I don't really see a spotter problem if folks are paying attention. The biggest issue I think is going to be non intentional tactical reloads  :o and movement with the slide forward for a big ole stage DQ until shooters are conditioned to 7 round mags. We shot a super stage yesterday that covered 100' movement. 10 shotgun targets with 4 flipped birds 6 reactionary and 40 rounds pistol with no dumps or double taps. For a total of 50 rounds. Truly put the wild in wild bunch!  Our big state sass WB match is coming up nov. 4-5 so I don't know if the match director will turn us loose shooting 7 rounds at our monthly until after that. I did go out and run some 7 round stages in private and I tell you B.E. It really is fun. I know it's not but 2 more rounds but when we didn't have but 5 to begin with that's what 40% more? Heck as far as getting lost lost because of a malfunction I can do that with 5 so 7 is a given! Remember they can't dish out but 1 procedural! Dusty

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »
Sooooooo? Making sure that you shoot each target the correct number of times??? The heck with the target order. Take the one P and be done with it!!  Good idea???  The RO might possibly try to do a Spirit of the Game penalty but I'm not a gamer, I'm old and easily confused. Hard to prove. Sounds just like a plan. We used to shoot with a cowboy and that was his plan on just about every stage. Order schmorder. He had a lot of fun but if you followed him you better watch out.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
My wife had already figured out the sweep patterns that would work. Something in her quilter's brain that can make order out of chaos.

It remains to be seen how things world out in the real world.  Like Ed said - you can foresee lots of "What the heck did he do .....?" looks on the faces of spotters and a lot of PEs awarded.

I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »
WB is getting more like the GAF.  ;) Slim
Forget the #$%&! order! Make 'em all knock downs, and shoot 'em all 'till they're dead.
Yee-Haw! ;D
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
I'm with you! I like knock downs. For one thing, it enforces a power factor.

Only problem is the constant resetting. That becomes an issue with some people once fatique sets in towards the end of a long hot day of shooting.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 02:13:03 PM »
Talking about knockem all down. I created an elaborate WB match years ago for my club including a dummy Browning 1917 WC prop gun, (when you pulled the trigger a tape player would play a loop tape of a machine gun firing.) After the main match was done we would move things around and I would set up 60 knockdowns targets consisting of plates on stands, the range plate rail, our clubs shotgun knockdowns and bowling pins. We would pick cards out of the hat to form 4 man teams. Betcha cant guess who they were. Each team would assign 2 shooters to start with shotguns (and 1911s), one with a rifle (and 1911) and the last with his 1911 (and a rifle). Each shooter had 15 designated targets to knock down but then he could help another shooter out. All guns were loaded to the max. Extra guns were staged on the long table where the 1917 was staged, after firing they went back on the table and were cleared there before being moved. Anyway, when the beep went off all four guys cut loose until every target was down!! VERY dramatic to say the least. I wish I had video of it.  Fastest team won. Everyone had a blast!
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 04:05:20 PM »
I've always seen 5 rounds in the magazine as sort of Oxymoron.  5 round magazines has always made WB nothing more than CAS with a 1911.  Of course, I have real deep Heartburn with what SASS has done to Wild Bunch anyway so it actually made some sense that SASS would limit magazine capacity along with screwing up everything else.

It's sort of a "What Took Ya Sol Long" sort of thing.  Trying to figure out why that magazine thing is so Long??  Maybe we should put more rounds innit??  Who'd a thought.  Novel concept ... that.

Time to clean and oil up my Broom Handle yet??  Thought not..

B. Ed,  Think you've got a pretty valid stand too.  35 round pistol stage be fun to keep track of.  No it wouldn't.

Cas with a 1911?  Maybe where you shoot.  In one of the matches I shot recently after WB was done they moved the 1911 targets in and used them for CAS rifle targets and they were still at the max recommended distance for CAS.
 You need to get out more and try a little variety.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 05:37:24 PM »
Forget the #$%&! order! Make 'em all knock downs, and shoot 'em all 'till they're dead.
Yee-Haw! ;D
Yee-haw indeed!!!! That's my favorite kind of stage!  In my above post that 40 shot pistol with 10 shotgun had no double taps,no dump targets but it had 4 airborne pigeons , 12 falling plates,2 dueling trees, 3 oxygen tank bells, targets from 8 yards out to 45 yards but that one was a big plate about 2' square lots of 15-20 yard targets. That includes a plate rack called the snuff can because that's what was used to trace the targets out with. So I don't know does that sound like a cowboy match today?  ;D
 My god! Thinking about it that was a GAF war without the great costuming!  ;D ;D

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »
Talking about knockem all down.
All guns were loaded to the max. Extra guns were staged on the long table where the 1917 was staged, after firing they went back on the table and were cleared there before being moved. Anyway, when the beep went off all four guys cut loose until every target was down!! VERY dramatic to say the least. I wish I had video of it.  Fastest team won. Everyone had a blast to say the least.

Dramatic - yes. Fun - yes - but .....

I know of a case where during such a team event, a shooter with an original '86 45-70 suffered a squib due to powder contamination when the lube melted in his loads. He fired again and blew the barrel of his rifle.

He sued the commercial reloader and won damages as he has specified a lube known to better resist warm temperatures.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 11:55:33 PM »
There is indeed a risk in multiple shooters shooting at multiple targets simultaneously. I've cut lumber in half with rifles as a posse event during a regional or state shoot, don't remember which. And as I've said on other threads, I was standing behind a shooter who blew up his 3rd gen Colt SA with a gross overload and was also present when a new shooter dropped his mag follower on a partially loaded Henry magazine with disastrous results. What we do is dangerous. Potential squibs were dicussed and shooters could opt out of the event. We shot it 3 or 4 times that day I'm thinking, luckily with no problems.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 08:05:16 AM »
... that's because it ain't Cowboy - it's Mexican Revolution. The Cowboy era was gone by then.

Anyone who can count to 5 can count to 7, at least he/she oughta be able to.

I haven't seen the rule change. Does it men that you get more targets to shoot at or more rds to fire at the usual number?

You are right PJ, it ain't Cowboy.  I live in the period 1861 to 1885.  Wild Bunch is too modern for me.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com