Author Topic: Dummy .30-06 rounds-source needed  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dummy .30-06 rounds-source needed
« on: August 28, 2006, 10:40:59 AM »
Gentlemen:

I am looking for a source for .30-06 dummy rounds made of plastic or some other READILY IDENTIFIABLE as INERT cartridges that can be used by a teen-ager who does informative lectures in schools.  He has done CW lectures for a number of years, and is probably as knowledgable or moreso than I on that topic.  He is now working up costumes and equipment for portrayal of a 101st AB (Normandy invasion), and wants a cartridge belt full of clips for the M-1 Garand.  I could make up some dummy rounds by drilling through the sides of fired brass, plus drilling out the primer pockets, loading the cases with FMJ bullets.  But I am concerned that the "officials" may not look closely enough, and get all upset.  I'd rather find some RED plastic dummies, either .30-06 or even 7.62 NATO would look okay in the M-1 clips.  I tried "googling", but didn't come up with anything.

Any ideas?  I'd hate to have to try to turn these individually on my lathe from plastic!

Bliged!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Dummy .30-06 rounds-source needed
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 10:52:13 AM »
Are you looking fer something like snap caps? MidwayUSA has A-Zoom, Pachmayr, and Tipton snap caps in .30-06.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 11:11:02 AM »
There was a firm in England that made the dummy M1 enbloc clips used to fill out the cartridge belt pockets - but their name escapes me.

They were cast resin.

I'd just load empty brass and leave the primer pocket empty, or drill it completely out.

It's safe - and readily visible.

The Government-Issued dummy for the .30-06 was fluted and had a primer - though some had a primer pocket that had never been opened through.

Later 7.62 NATO dummy rounds are both fluted , with  the open-yet-closed primer pocket, 'and' are Black in color - as a ready identifier.

You 'could' find a local National Guardsman who might be able to supply some fired 7.62mm Blank ammunition - then drill out the primer.
Fired Blank brass is collected - but Turn-In isn't as critical as 'real' brass.
Once fired - the 'bullet nose' and the opened primer would then be an open tube - yet would look like a loaded round from the side.

You see a lot of in in close-ups of belted machinegun ammo.

On the other hand - since he has no reason to 'load' a Garand - he can have triangular wooden blocks made up to fill out the cartridge belt pockets.

If he wants to demonstrate the distinctive 'ping' of the ejecting clip - that can be loaded separately.

Then - he can relate the mythical tale of the 'enemy' - (Germans, Japanese or North Koreans) waiting patiently to hear it and charging while the GIs were reloading.
(Damned fine hearing - in the unholy cacophany of infantry combat - and wonderful senses of timing - to be able to pull off an attack as an entire unit was caught 'empty'...)

If he's allowed to bring weapons into a school - then he has an enlightened School District indeed, since many, many gun shows were forced to find other venues because of various edicts forbidding firearms on school grounds that were interpreted literally.

Before he does a 'modern' display - he needs to tell the Principal exactly 'what' will be shown and 'how' it will be demonstrated.
Otherwise, confusion reigns and kids aren't afforded the opportunity to see and learn.

I wish him luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:42:17 PM »

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 11:42:10 AM »
Dillon advertises some red-colored plastic training dummies.  Might be a little expensive to have a whole clip full.

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 04:56:02 PM »
Much obliged, gentlemen!  Dillion does indeed have .30-06 orange dummy rounds.  They are priced at $4.95 per 5-pack.  I'm going to order some for the young troop!

St. George -  I've heard that tale about the distinctive "ping", from those who were there in WWII and Korea.  Some of the Korean War vets told of taking a spare rifle (there were always a few after the first firefight :( ) firing it until the clip ejected and when a gent in quilted uniform popped up...well he was popped OFF with as many rounds as might be needed...from the fully loaded M-1 held by a buddy or grabbed up!  But as you said...not sure how you could hear the clip going out anyway in all that noise!

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline The Wizard

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 01:52:36 PM »
The ping thing has been cussed and discussed on several M1 forums.  Anyone who has been in actual combat can asure you that there are much loader noises going on than the ping of an M1 clip.  Beside if the hostiles are close enough to hear the ping you have done something seriously wrong and better have your bayonet fixed!
The Wizard

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 02:45:05 PM »
You can just 'see' it in your mind's eye - an entire Line Company of American Infantry firing in strict, measured unison, whilst the bad guys (pick a uniform) listen intently - gathering themselves to launch their attack.

They wait - poised and ready as the fifth and sixth and seventh rounds are fired, and rising as one at the sound of the eighth - are at full cry at the sound of the 'ping' as it reverberates across the battlefield, signalling their attack...

Except for one thing...

The damned Second Cook has 'finally' gotten some hot chow up to the Line when he looks over his Mermites and sees the screaming horde...

Well and truly honked off at the un-planned for 'guests' racing toward 'his' chow line - he and the KP throw down their greasy ladles while the 'Combat-happy Joes of Easy Company's' fingers fumble at the closed 'Lift-the-Dot' fasteners on the cartridge belts.

Leaping into the snub-nosed Deuce-and-a-Half - they charge the M1919A4 in the ring mount - screaming something about 'Headcount!!', as the butterfly trigger's depressed...

A couple of days later - the Brass is pinning all sorts of medals on them, and Sergeant Rock's comments about the soft life of the cooks are finished.

And 'that' is how Grandpa won the Big One, m'boy...
Had the M1's clip not signalled the attack - those heroic actions would never have occurred.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 12:26:54 PM »
Speaking of sound effects - supposedly the "cricket" clickers used by the D-Day soldiers could be mis-interpreted, or vice-versa. The movie "The Longest Day" depicts soldiers hearing a Mauser bolt being cycled as the signal of a "friendly", dropped their guard, and subsequently got waxed by the Wehrmacht soldat.  Don't know how true it is, but makes good lore/myth.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 06:40:03 PM »
Those crickets were a Screaming Eagle device - the more seasoned All American 'troopers had experience in North Africa and Sicily and felt that it was suited for unseasoned 'troops.

A cricket - especially one of the larger-sized ones - 'could' mimic the bolt on a well-fitted Mauser.

In the various 101st Airborne accounts - the crickets 'were' used - but none I've read make mention of anyone getting shot.

It's kinda like the myth surrounding the 'notch' on the dogtags being purpose-made to insert between the front teeth of the dead soldier - when all it really was, was the place where the indexing pin on the dogtag stamping machine went - so as to align the lettering's placement.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com