Author Topic: Morel of the story  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Morel of the story
« on: April 29, 2020, 08:04:07 AM »
I am kind of a Hobbit in terms of mushrooms.  The more the better! 

So, Spring is officially here in Missouri, as I have had some Morels.   Of course, we grew up with them breaded in cracker crumbs and fried in butter.   

I also really like mixing them with asparagus, in the no dice being played with the universe, I am a firm believer that items that become available at coinciding times usually pair well together, so ramps could be added here as well.   

I like a pasta with asparagus and morels.
Chopped fresh asparagus (~1/2 lb)
Sliced morel mushrooms (~1/2lb)
1 clove of garlic, smashed with salt to a paste
fresh thyme (also comes available at this time) 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (loose pack)
fresh ground black pepper
1 lb of pasta of your choice.   I like Orecchiette for this dish.
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 of dry white wine (optional)
grated parmesan cheese

Melt butter in a saute pan with the olive oil.   While it is melting bring salted water to boil for pasta.   add sliced mushrooms to the saute pan on medium high heat.   You want to get some good coloring on the mushrooms and some fond in the pan.     When water is boiling, add pasta to the pan and chopped asparagus to the saute pan (timing on this should be the mushrooms have good caramelization when the water comes to a boil.   Should take 9-10 minutes on the pasta.   Saute the asparagus with the mushrooms for 4 minutes, add garlic and cook for ~20 seconds.   Do not let it burn.   If using wine, after garlic has cooked, deglaze pan with the wine.   If not, use a ladle of pasta water.   Cook on high at this point, as liquid boils off, add a small ladle worth of pasta water to it.   This will give a light sauce with some starchy body to it.   When pasta has 1 minute left, add Thyme and black pepper.   turn sauce to low, having added water to desired consistency.   Drain pasta and add to the saute pan.    Toss and cook about 1 minute.   Dish it up.  Top with parmesan and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.   I think it might be illegal to not eat this with crusty bread.   

Also, just saute the morels to get good color in butter/olive oil.   Add garlic and minced shallots.   Deglaze with a red wine.   evaporate liquid to a desired consistency, turn off heat and add a tablespoon of butter.   stir lightly to melt/blend butter and use this to top a grilled steak.   

Farmer Maggot's Mushrooms
Since I mentioned Hobbit above,  I will put this out there for all the nerdom.   Way back before Peter Jackson opted to mess up Lord of the Rings, I ran with a crowd that only marginally tolerated me because I had not finished the Silmarillion (I since have).   Every September 22, there was a huge party for Bilbo/Frodo's Birthday.  Only food allowed was food from the books.   I was mostly invited because we raised coneys (rabbits) and I stew a mean coney.   I also brought mushrooms, ala Farmer Maggot.

1 lb button mushrooms, sliced or quartered (stems removed when I do it.)   
1 or 2 packages of dried mushrooms (rehydrated in water.  SAVE THE REHYDRATING LIQUID)
3-4 slices of thick cut bacon (cubed)
1 onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (smashed to a paste with salt
1/4 dry white wine (I always used a uber dry riesling)
fresh thyme 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (loose pack)
black pepper and salt to taste

In a saute pan, cook bacon cubes to a crispy brown.   Pull the bacon from the pan and allow to drain on a paper towel.   Do not touch that bacon grease, add onions and button mushrooms.   Do not overcrowd the pan, as the mushrooms cook, add more.   What you want is a nice golden brown on the mushrooms and some caramelization on the onions.  Pull the now rehydrated wild mushrooms and squeeze out some liquid.  Rough chop them if they are bigger pieces and add to the pan.   reserve the hydrating liquid (pour off top 3/4 as there is usually grit at bottom, toss that bottom 1/4).   Add garlic to the pan and cook for ~20 seconds, do not burn.   Deglaze with the white wine and turn heat to high.   As the liquid evaporates to dryness, add the rehydrating liquid.   When you have a thick sauce consistency, turn off the heat, add the thyme and it is up to you to add 1 tablespoon of butter to melt an enhance the sauce.   Add salt and pepper to taste.   Place in a large bowl, top with bacon and make sure Fatty Bolger does not serve them. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com