CAS TOPICS > The Darksider's Den

A Poll about your bullets

(1/8) > >>

Mako:
Okay, we've lost our source of the Big Lube Bullet Molds (Dick Dastardly), we've lost probably the best known source for cast Big Lube bullets (Mark Whyte).  Some of us have lost our secondary sources for bullets, so let's pool our resources and figure out how to keep us in lead.

Everyone may not be a disciple of the deep wide groove bullets like the Big Lube Styles.  Some are currently not available as molds.  Let's see what we can do to remedy the mold availability. I'm already working the Snake Bite Grease Wagon substitute (you'll like it).  It would also be great if we had someone who wanted to get into casting that could fill the void Mark left.

The next bullet for me is the .44 Mav Dutchman replacement, though I know the majority of y'all will want something like the PRS 250gr .45 or the 200gr .45.  If you can send me specifics on the dimensions of the PRS I would appreciate it.  I have some somewhere and can't find them, I don't shoot much .45 Colt.  I can post or send a sketch indicating the dimensions I need (actually for any of the bullets you would like again).

Pipe up about other bullets you want to see.  There are already mold replacements for the EPP-UG for the .44 Cap & Ball guns, there is also a replacement for the EPP-UG 36.  There is also a nice 130gr-135gr mold for .36 Navy Bullets (a big lube variant which works well).  There are also some .44 and .45 molds currently available I am evaluating (but not big lube).  I have contacted Accurate Molds, MP molds and Lee.  Tom at Accurate isn't an issue, but his groove depth may be unless I can get him to give us a bit deeper.  Lee acts like they are too busy to even talk unless we have a big group order.  The group orders over on CastBoolits.com have gone South since some problems during the pandemic.  We could get exact duplicates of the Bullets of the Big Lube style we are used to from Lee but as I said they act like it isn't important to them.  Their catalog has also shrunk a lot.  And Mihec over at MP molds is covered up as well.

So to get started vote above and then post what you have. Don't just say "I use a Lee .45 mold".  Tell us which mold by number or post a picture of the bullet if you don't know what the model number is.

Oh, and you can vote for as many of the lines as apply and change you vote later if you wish.  This is about gathering information...

One last thing, I have no financial interest or direct affiliation with any of the vendors I have been working or talking with.  My only interest is for anyone who wants to shoot Real Powder to have the best bullets available for that purpose.

~Mako

Abilene:
Well, you didn't have enough options, but I picked two.  I have bought biglube .44 "toggle" bullets from Slim, and still have some left.  Plus a friend gave me 100 Mav's lubed with SBG.  When I run out of those, I can maybe get more Mav's from the friend.  He said his mold is worn and he was not happy when I told him Dick D was out of the business. 

I also bought some sort of 125gr bullet from Slim, not even sure if it was big lube.  But all my shooting is CAS and my longest barrel is 20", so I'm not a big needer of biglubes. 

I'm now buying BP-lubed bullets for my .38's and .44 Spcl/Russians from Missouri Bullet Co.  They are not big lube.  I had tried Desperado bullets before since their lube is supposed to be BP compatible but I did not have good luck with it in .45 and 32-20 so I relubed with my lube.

For years I just bought smokeless bullets and melted out the crayon lube for all calibers.  I relubed with an old Lyman 45 for rifle use (started with pan lubing, but too tedious), and used no lube at all in pistol rounds, just lubing with butter flavored Crisco over the first two rounds in the cylinder.

A guy on the SASS Wire named Dallas McBoomboom is supposed to be making some biglubes now.

hellgate:
I cast and shoot the old Lyman 358311 158gr RN FB in .357 Mag cases. In order to use real gunpowder i need to put two thin discs of medium brood core beeswax on top of the powder before seating the bullet to prevent fouling out the barrel in my Rossi '92. I can shoot that load all day but it only gets about a 6" group at 50 yards. If I use 3F 777 I don't need the beeswax and can shoot all day and get 1.5-2" groups at 50 yds. I use a BP lube on all my bullets regardless of the powder used: 50/50 beeswax/deer tallow.

Advertising:

Professor Marvel:
I ahve and cast in both the PRS 250gr .45 or the 200gr .45.
In an old thompson center .45 maxi mold
In an older lyman hollow base .454 colt mold.

Looking for one of those largish heavyish .38 molds Mako was talking about… the catalog is a tish confusing at the moment.

Not giving any of them up, you will have to ask whoever is the executor of my will when i finally go in 60 or 75 years….

Yhs
Prof marvel

Mako:

--- Quote from: Professor Marvel on April 07, 2024, 11:37:17 PM ---I ahve and cast in both the PRS 250gr .45 or the 200gr .45.
In an old thompson center .45 maxi mold
In an older lyman hollow base .454 colt mold.

Looking for one of those largish heavyish .38 molds Mako was talking about… the catalog is a tish confusing at the moment.

Not giving any of them up, you will have to ask whoever is the executor of my will when i finally go in 60 or 75 years….

Yhs
Prof marvel

--- End quote ---

Perfesser,
Are you talking about the 130-135gr .36 C&B mold?

If so here it is:

https://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=38-135C

If you are talking about the 160gr Grease Wagon analog, Tom doesn't have it cataloged yet.  I'm still waiting on him to send me a link to approve the "design". Odd since I actually submitted the design, but that is the way he has done it in the past as well.

~Mako

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version