Author Topic: 1876 Takedown  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Okefinokee Outlaw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1876 Takedown
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »
My Uberti 1876 is leaving a scratch along the length of the cases, and I suspect the tab on the bottom of the breech bolt needs a little filing.  I have a 1873 takedown guide, which is very similar, and they instruct you to drift out the front link pin and remove the firing pin extractor in order to remove the breech bolt.  I've been wailing on the pin, properly supported, quite heavily, and it will not budge.  I fear I'll destroy something.  Any suggestions?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1224
Re: 1876 Takedown
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »
Sorry, can't help on getting the pin to budge.  But your description of the problem has me confused.  Is it a long scratch along the case?  If so, I don't see how it could be from that support tab at the bottom of the bolt face.  The only things that move against the side of the brass are the loading gate, inside of the magazine tube, carrier, and chamber.  Or maybe I'm not understanding the problem (highly likely  :D )

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 09:54:11 PM »
Abilene,  You are exactly correct.  After I posted this, I saw that if I do not make a very conscious effort to push the 45-75 cartridge all the way down when loading into the magazine tube, it scrapes against the inside of the receiver and leaves a long scratch.  Perhaps I can polish the inside of the receiver to minimize this?  But I still would love to know how to drift that pin out, just for the sake of knowing.  Thanks.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:22:04 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1224
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:27:33 PM »
O.O. - glad you figured out the scratch. 

I've had to drift that pin out on several '76's to remove the firing pin to take to shows.  Some were easy, some took some hard pounding, but they did move.  These were new guns; don't know if that would tend to make it harder or easier.  Maybe some of the gunsmiths will happen upon this post and reveal their tricks.  I wonder if penetrating oil would help any?  Good luck.
i

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:35:04 AM »
Do not laugh if I show to much of my ignorance here!  Is there any chance that direction matters on driving this pin in/out?  At some point you will start peening the head of the pin which might make matters worse, no?  I have taken small chances on '66 and '73 beaters before BUT on a '76 I would spot my limitations a little quicker and start thinking professional help.   I want one badly enuff that I could not imagine anyone not treating it like a baby.  Good Luck.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 08:06:47 AM »
Slowhand,  I did try it in both directions, but it wouldn't budge.  I used a brass punch so it would not damage the steel.  Of course I destroyed the brass punch in the process.  Fortunately I didn't damage anything on the rifle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com