Author Topic: 1876 Cimarron vs. Taylors?  (Read 5575 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1876 Cimarron vs. Taylors?
« on: March 02, 2008, 08:34:30 AM »
I know they are both made by Uberti but is there any difference in wood quality or anything else? 

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: 1876 Cimarron vs. Taylors?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:11:31 PM »
I know they are both made by Uberti but is there any difference in wood quality or anything else? 

You really can't go wrong with either the Taylors or the Cimmie.  The folks at Taylors are really great to work with, and I have also had good experience with Cimarron.  The primary difference between them, and others as well, is that the Cimarron version is marked more authentically than the others.  Barrel address etc on the Cimarron are placed correctly and are very close to the original Winchester markings.  That level of detail is important to me, so I usually go with Cimarron. :)

The devil's in the details! ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 06:37:26 AM »
Other than what Grizzly mentioned there are no differences.  I go with whoever has the gun I want,  the best price, and then with Taylors as they now have the edge on customer service,  in that order of importance.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:14:58 AM »

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:01:04 AM »
I'll second Deadeye on Taylors service.

I had a '60army,,,a prob,,,Taylors sent me a pre-paid label to ship it back,,,and didnt fix the gun,,just REPLACED IT ! Had it sent back and replacement in bout 7 days,,they had my new one ready to ship  when the other one arrived back at their place !

Can't beat that with a stick !

And,,at request,,they will peek in the boxs to find you nice wood..just tell the gals what you desire and they will do their best....

I'v got Cimmarron guns...good quality,,,got Taylors,,good quality...  Again,,as Deadeye said,,the one that has the gun....

Now,,if only the gumertment woujld send me nuff for that '76 Win,,id be in hog heaven...

Say Deadeye,,how does your 45-60 shoot ? Bet it'd be a neat deer rifle, yes ? I've considered the 45-75,,,just reloading expense vrs the 45-60.....so,,were I to ever get one,,,prob do as you and go 45-60....

MD

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 09:29:21 AM »
I havent had much of a chance to shoot it thus far.  I am hoping with our more long range section at our new NCOWS site that I will have more opportunity this season.  So far I like it alot.  I have not had an easier rifle to load than this one.  You practically just hold the round to the loading gate and it gets sucked in.    ;D  I would go with the 45-60 if I were you.   Makes for a nice mid range type rifle.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 09:31:13 AM »
I've been eye ballin' a '76 in 45-60 too......goona have to sell some old toys so I can get a new one!
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »
Rooster,,,them Uberti 'winchestres' are really nice well built rifles. I have a '73..seen lots of others in the 'cowboy' circles,,,and all love them...my '73 is top quality all over....and accurate as can be...Ubertis must really have accurate barrels in the formula...the SAAs seem to shoot a wee bit high,,as is historically correct too,,but my 7 1/2 inch,,and open top too,,are bout as accurate as some handguns iv had that were customized. Accuracy is just inherent in Ubertis...with a 20+ dollar set of Wolff springs or Lees,,,they are handguns to last thur the years....

actually,,I have heard very little of Uberti springs being bad.....a wee bit of 'slickin' up makes them very nice,,,,and the Ubertis I'v seen are smoother than Colts out of the box.

I 'hear' USFA is amazingly smooth out of the box,,,but twice or more the price of the Uberti,,and the Uberti can be had with the 'old style'...or BP frame for no extra cost,,were-as the USFA is a 150 or so dollar option to get the 'BP' frame. I just like the historic aspect of not having the spring cross latch myself,,,and the 'bulls-eye' ejector tab instead of the crescent gives them a really good 'early west' look.

Now,,,a stagecoach robbery is in order,,,I jest gotta have a '76 !

Marshal Deadwood aka Mike C.

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 03:08:15 PM »
I have one Cimarron and one Taylor's. Both are very nice looking, but the detail mentioned earlier stands out to me too. I like the Cimarron a tad more, but both are keepers! I have a question - has anyone shot the 50/95 load from their '76? I'm still waiting for ammo from BA, but I'm curious as heck to know how it shoots. I like recoil - more boom the better for me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com