Author Topic: Finish “CC/AB”  (Read 995 times)

Offline TheTinMan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
Finish “CC/AB”
« on: September 10, 2023, 10:54:34 AM »
I just bought 2 more USFA single action revolvers. Turnbull Restorations confirmed that both had been through their shop; however, they can’t/won’t say what they did to the guns. Serial numbers are in the low 26xxx range and I believe they are 100% US made.

I have to assume that “CC” means “case colored”, but does anyone know the significance of “AB”?

I’ll add photos of both to the picture thread, but here is the Bisley:

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
Re: Finish “CC/AB”
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 10:58:24 AM »
Arsenal Blue
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline TheTinMan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 12:38:38 PM »
Arsenal Blue

Thank you!  So done by Turnbull.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:53:02 AM »

Offline RoyceP

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 05:36:59 PM »
Looks pretty good! Mine is a Colt made around 1889. It's out for a refinish, the 20 + year old cold blue refinish was not making it for me.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 07:24:00 PM »
I thought it was Armoury Blue but I guess Arsenal Blue would be the same thing. Anyway Armoury aka Arsenal Blue was the high end option and Dome Blue was the regular option. DB was regular hot salt bluing. I believe AB was charcoal or gas oven bluing?

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 10:57:58 AM »
Turnbull no doubt did the CC but USFA had ovens installed and were doing the Armor Blue in house

Offline TheTinMan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 12:12:15 PM »
Turnbull no doubt did the CC but USFA had ovens installed and were doing the Armor Blue in house

Thanks Gary! 

Did Turnbull do the carbona blueing for a while until USFA started doing it in house or was it always in house?

Chip

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 06:14:04 PM »
I believe the ones that had DT in the serial number were done by Turnbull. In fact I believe they were in the white guns received from USFA and totally fitted and finished by Turnbull.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 09:08:40 PM »
Initially, Turnbull did both the CC and carbona blue.  USFA called it Armory Blue.  The ovens USFA installed were both for Armory Blue and CC but USFA never got the CC process down. Also installed their own nickel tanks.  Prior to that, nickel was done by either Baron Technology or another company in MA.
Regarding Turnbull guns, USFA would send them completed guns in the white with DT serial numbers.  After awhile, Turnbull would get just the frame with TG and BS attached.  He would get a selection of internal parts plus cylinders and barrels to make up guns as needed. These would also carry the DT seal numbers. 

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023, 11:42:58 AM »
Initially, Turnbull did both the CC and carbona blue.  USFA called it Armory Blue.  The ovens USFA installed were both for Armory Blue and CC but USFA never got the CC process down. Also installed their own nickel tanks.  Prior to that, nickel was done by either Baron Technology or another company in MA.
Regarding Turnbull guns, USFA would send them completed guns in the white with DT serial numbers.  After awhile, Turnbull would get just the frame with TG and BS attached.  He would get a selection of internal parts plus cylinders and barrels to make up guns as needed. These would also carry the DT seal numbers.

GaryG, Thank you for the proper information. We would be guessing if it were not for your memory and expertise.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2023, 12:54:02 PM »
Bisley Flat-top, I hate you. If it's a .44Special I'm going to toilet paper your yard.  ;D

That does look like dome blue though.
SASS #81,827

Offline TheTinMan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2023, 08:41:42 PM »
Bisley Flat-top, I hate you. If it's a .44Special I'm going to toilet paper your yard.  ;D

That does look like dome blue though.

No TP necessary!  The barrel is rollmarked 45 Automatic but it also came with a .45 Colt cylinder.

My original photograph isn’t great. I’m still developing photography skills. However, the box specifies CC/AB for the finish.

Based on this discussion, it sounds like Turnbull did the case hardening on the frame. Whether the Armory Blue finish is USFA or Turnbull I don’t know.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2023, 11:29:12 PM »
A .45 convertible is almost as bad. Awesome sixgun!  ;D
SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk