Author Topic: Uberti 1873 shortstrok kit question  (Read 948 times)

Offline Gunleather

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 46543
  • GAF #: 62
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Uberti 1873 shortstrok kit question
« on: July 31, 2021, 03:13:15 AM »
So I just picked up a Uberti 73 carbine in 44 Mag,  I’ve been using a Navy Arms/Rossi 1892 in 45 Colt sense 2002. I’m not that knowledgeable about the 73. Is there any shortstrok kits that are drop in or do they all require some fitting. Would you guys recommend using a gunsmith or are they all fairly easy for a guy with limited resources (tools) to do the work?

Thanks for the advice
Gunleather

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Uberti 1873 shortstrok kit question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 07:56:40 AM »
 :)  Gunleather  ;)

I absolutely LOVE this question, having made pretty good money for 20 years building competition Toggle Link Rifles for CAS competition.  So allow me to present a very important CAVEAT:  There are . . . NO . . . DROP IN . . . parts.

The Sort Stroke kit is the final step in about 6 to 9 hours of work on the action to prepare it for the kit.  If you install only the Short Stroke kit you will find you now have a Toggle Link rifle that takes three men and a girl to operate.  All mechanical advantage is GONE.

Step one is to go thru the action and moving surfaces and eliminate all drag spots.  Then polish all the moving mating surfaces.  Then start reducing or replacing Springs.

The Main Spring needs reduced.  Once reduced, you must reduce the Firing Pin return spring.  Both lever side springs need to be reduced as well as fit to the frame, or replaced (I recommend SlixSprings, some fitting required)

You're now ready for your Short Stroke kit.  As far as I know, we are down to two makers of kits.  Cowboys and Indian Store and Pioneer Gun Works.  The Cowboys and Indian kit will require the least "fitting" and are caliber specific, ie; Large Bore (44 or 45) or small bore (38 or 32WCF).

Also, completely unrelated to the action . . . . is the Magazine Tube.  It came from the factory full of rust (no extra charge option).  Get the cap off (more fun), seriously scrub out the bore then apply a suitable dry lubricant such as Boeshield T9.  Since you will have had the fun of getting the cap off, lube it with a little Anti-Sieze lubricant.

People are Hazardous to your Health

PS:  I forgot to mention, once you have completed the steps to cleanup the action to prepare for the Short Stroke kit, you will find you have created a Very Light, Very Fast, Very user friendly toggle link rifle.  I use to explain to my potential customers, the Very Best BANG for yer buck was a real good, quality, action job.

You'll want a "Lever Wrap" in either case as the action will run light enough Yule be slamming your fingers at the end of the stroke.

Offline Gunleather

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 46543
  • GAF #: 62
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 09:22:09 PM »
Thanks for the information.  :o  I guess I’ll just run her stock for while.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:51:44 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com