Author Topic: Manhattan arms Navy IV - #57553  (Read 287 times)

Offline Stonewall631

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Manhattan arms Navy IV - #57553
« on: December 19, 2023, 03:29:47 PM »
Have a Manhattan Arms Navy IV - the cylinder will not cycle but I do have half and full cock with the hammer but no cylinder movement - need a supplier of parts for these revolvers. Do not plan on shooting it but would like to have it fully functional - any help locating parts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Manhattan arms Navy IV - #57553
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 07:32:05 PM »
 :) Stonewall  ;)

Chances of finding original "Manhattan" lock work parts for your example will be akin to a search for the Holy Grail. 

Historically, as with several other manufacturers, when the Colt Patent(s) expired, others jumped at the chance to copy Colt Pattern guns.  Manhattan was one of those.

What you describe is typical of having a functional Main Spring.  the gun may or may not have a functioning Trigger/Bolt spring.  Pull the trigger - does it rebound??  It also sounds like a broken Hand Spring or even a broken Hand as well.  A broken hand spring is a simple fix, by replacing the broken spring with a Uberti spring.  It is also possible the hand is the same as a Uberti hand, which copy the OEM Colt items.  These parts will NOT be drop in and will require a degree of fitting.  Should be able to return your Manhattan to functionality.  It may well even be shootable with lighter loads.  Best of Luck with your endeavor.

Type 0 corrected.  I detest OTTO

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1161
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 09:27:10 PM »
Ah I see Coffinmaker beat me to it…

Is it one of these ?

https://www.manhattanfirearms.com/GuidePercussion.html

If original, as coffinmaker related, you will need lots of luck and a good gunsmith who can “file and fit” what he can find
Into what you need

Yhs
Prof mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:49:52 AM »

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 10:41:02 PM »
Howdy Stonewall,

I don't know if this will help with the diagnosis. Try aiming the gun muzzle down, than cock the gun. If the cylinder then moves, it might just need a cylinder hand spring.(or the hand is not falling forward to catch the cylinder, or it's missing.) You might also try removing the cylinder and watching to see what the hand is doing when the gun is cocked. The foregoing might tell someone with some expertise what the problem might be.

Report back. There are some very savvy folks here.

Rev. Chase

Offline RoyceP

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 06:04:13 PM »
Have a Manhattan Arms Navy IV - the cylinder will not cycle but I do have half and full cock with the hammer but no cylinder movement - need a supplier of parts for these revolvers. Do not plan on shooting it but would like to have it fully functional - any help locating parts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I can give a recommendation for Bill Fuchs AKA "Lever Action Bill" - he might be able to make the part from scratch. Give him a call to find out - https://springcreekarmory.com

A very clever guy who is really into old single actions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com