Author Topic: Pseudo 1861 Richards Mason  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
Pseudo 1861 Richards Mason
« on: July 27, 2022, 09:01:28 AM »
Basically an 1860 Type II .38 with a Colt SAA/Navy grip frame and one pieces factory pearls. Still have some work to do on it.

SASS #81,827

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
Re: Pseudo 1861 Richards Mason
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 10:19:10 AM »
Craig, that's beautiful gun as it is. I suspect you may want to engrave it but I'm inclined the other way and would leave it along. What ever you chose to do with it I'm sure it will be a delight to see. Well done so far.

Dave

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 10:38:32 AM »
Craig, that's beautiful gun as it is. I suspect you may want to engrave it but I'm inclined the other way and would leave it along. What ever you chose to do with it I'm sure it will be a delight to see. Well done so far.

Dave
I wasn't planning to engrave this one but I was gong to reshape the barrel lug to more closely resemble the originals. Which means I'll have to either refinish it or strip and age the whole thing. Since I'm aging the .44, I may opt to send this one to Turnbull.
SASS #81,827

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:24:51 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 11:23:39 AM »
Well right now you have a Type II '61.  Same as I did to my .38 Type II when switched to Navy gripframe.  Of course, Colt only ever made one sample of that.  I would be afraid that if you tried to reshape the barrel into a '61 R-M shape you will have problems with the ejector mounting.

Always wondered why Uberti never made the '61 R-M.  They already have everything else, just need to make a new barrel.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 11:34:59 AM »
Well right now you have a Type II '61.  Same as I did to my .38 Type II when switched to Navy gripframe.  Of course, Colt only ever made one sample of that.  I would be afraid that if you tried to reshape the barrel into a '61 R-M shape you will have problems with the ejector mounting.

Always wondered why Uberti never made the '61 R-M.  They already have everything else, just need to make a new barrel.
I'll have to wait until I lay it out but I may have to move the screw that holds the ejector in place.
SASS #81,827

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 01:38:05 PM »
Great looking revolver. I have never really been a big fan of the Pearl handles but here lately I have been looking more and more at them and think I'd like to try a set.

I made a trade for a set recently but they did not fit my gun properly. I mocked them up and took a photo but in reality the grips were too small and moved around so the guy was nice enough to trade back with me.

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 05:09:50 PM »
Great looking revolver. I have never really been a big fan of the Pearl handles but here lately I have been looking more and more at them and think I'd like to try a set.

I made a trade for a set recently but they did not fit my gun properly. I mocked them up and took a photo but in reality the grips were too small and moved around so the guy was nice enough to trade back with me.

Not much you can do if they are too small.  As for moving around, when any of mine move at all, I just put a thin paper shim, like a strip or two or three of a business card, against the back of the grip spacer piece and that usually does the trick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com