Author Topic: Possible acquisition  (Read 5695 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Possible acquisition
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2022, 02:19:23 PM »
I actually am very glad they have the slightly beefier purpose built cylinders.  Less chance of a notch "blow out" happening.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2022, 12:33:25 AM »
Well, I really don't like the way the 1860 grips were cut down to make them thinner.  I located one ASM 1860 walnut grip on ebay.  Haven't found another, but did come across a complete ASM 1851 grip, so I have it on the other one for now (until I find another ASM or even a Uberti 1860 grip (which is close enough). 

Hope to finally use them at the local match in a couple weeks. SWEET!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2022, 10:23:01 AM »
Anyone have an un-loved Uberti 1860 grip (wood only) that they would like to part with?  I checked, and the Uberti can be fitted to the ASM.  I thought of new, but last time I checked, VTI was out.  I just sent them another check stock email.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 08:33:54 PM »

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2022, 02:46:58 PM »
I do, probably more than one, if I can find the one from my engraved Open Top. They're yours if you want them.
SASS #81,827

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2022, 09:01:20 PM »
Thanks!  That would be awesome.  Let me know and I'll send you some $$$ and mention you as the source of one of the grips when I do the Cowboy Chronicle article about these. 

The article will lead off with me being teased by a shooting pard 4 or 5 years ago, wanting me to buy Truth and Justice.  It will chronicle the acquisition, including the skinny grips, and transformation into my main match pair.  Then I will go into a history of Anderson, his guns, and his efforts to make the first "production, semi custom" 1860 conversions, (meant to be cheaper than Howell or Millington), all before ASM introduced production 1860 .44 Colts  in 1990.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2022, 01:46:08 AM »
Question, do any of these guys mark their work? I just got a Uberti 1851 conversion with a relined barrel but have no clue who put it together. I'm going to put a Kirst ejector on it and it will probably need a taller front sight.

Thanks!  That would be awesome.  Let me know and I'll send you some $$$ and mention you as the source of one of the grips when I do the Cowboy Chronicle article about these. 

The article will lead off with me being teased by a shooting pard 4 or 5 years ago, wanting me to buy Truth and Justice.  It will chronicle the acquisition, including the skinny grips, and transformation into my main match pair.  Then I will go into a history of Anderson, his guns, and his efforts to make the first "production, semi custom" 1860 conversions, (meant to be cheaper than Howell or Millington), all before ASM introduced production 1860 .44 Colts  in 1990.
Don't worry about paying me, just let me know when the article prints so I can look for it. PM your address to me and I'll send it this week.
SASS #81,827

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2022, 07:01:19 AM »
The short answer is yes-sometimes

My Kenny Howell 2nd Gen. 1st Richards is marked under the barrel - R&D Beloit, WI USA by hand.
I acquired the gun about 2006 and the precious owner had it built on his donor in 1998 or 99.

The Dave Anderson ASM sourced USPFA 1993 Shot Show gun- 2nd Model Richards, was only marked
USPFA  Hartford, Connecticut. roll marked on the top of the barrel no other marks

The Millington Remy was  B. Millington/ArmSport LLC , also had the Pietta FAP Diamond on the grip frame otherwise shaved of FLLI Pietta- Made in Italy- Black Powder Only.

My Gary Barnes Navy conversion has no marks on my donor Pietta 61 Navy- Kirst (totally shaved by request)

I never had a John Gren but handled one once, it was marked as shown in the photo below
I had to look for it though as I had not recalled the markings. 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2022, 07:54:32 PM »

The Gang.  Taken before I replaced the second shaved grip.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2022, 09:56:55 AM »
Here are Truth and Justice after I replaced the shaved grips.  One is an 1860 ASM grip from eBay, and the other a modified Uberti 1860 grip from Craig C,

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2022, 10:17:06 AM »
Those grips are a vast improvement over the shaved ones. Good job fitting them.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2022, 01:08:24 PM »
I agree with Will....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2022, 11:04:12 PM »
A fine pair!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2022, 07:50:45 AM »
Much improved on the grips.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2022, 10:23:52 AM »

SUPER improvement TL  :D

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2022, 05:29:43 PM »
While the Anderson's will be my primary main match pistols, replacing the Uberti Type IIs, my pair of Kirst/Pietta .45 Schofield 1860s (8" Saber River and 5.5" Sheriff model) will still be my back-up pair.  The Saber River is so dang beautiful, it just has to be shot sometimes!  I am going to an annual match in October, and I would guess half the stages will be shot with the .44 Andersons, and half with the .45 Kirsts.

I have one of Walt's .45 ACP cylinders for the Piettas and it is a hoot.  I use the same 230 grain RN lead bullet for my ,45 ACP WW231 Wild Bunch 1911 loads, and my Trail Boss .45 Schofield loads for my conversions.  Both cylinders print about the same!  I am doing a Cowboy Chronicle article on the Kirst 1860 .45 ACP cylinder as a two for one gun in the 5.5" sheriff model, using also the .45 Colt cylinder.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2022, 12:01:21 AM »
Question, do any of these guys mark their work? I just got a Uberti 1851 conversion with a relined barrel but have no clue who put it together. I'm going to put a Kirst ejector on it and it will probably need a taller front sight.

Don't worry about paying me, just let me know when the article prints so I can look for it. PM your address to me and I'll send it this week.

Sorry for delayed response.  Early Anderson's were unmarked, Later ones marked American Frontier Firearms.  Gren marks his with his name,  Jay Strite had a raven stamp on the barrel, IIRC, and Howell marked his.  I do not know about Millington.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2022, 08:55:09 AM »
Sorry for delayed response.  Early Anderson's were unmarked, Later ones marked American Frontier Firearms.  Gren marks his with his name,  Jay Strite had a raven stamp on the barrel, IIRC, and Howell marked his.  I do not know about Millington.

Good information in these threads. Thanks.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2022, 10:56:47 AM »
We're thinking Howell did that one. The conversion ring and gate are color cased and screwed to the frame. Gonna put a Kirst ejector on it.
SASS #81,827

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2022, 09:39:37 PM »
Well, after family reunions, vacations, a death in the family (at my house!), and finally getting COVID after escaping it for over two years, I will get a chance to shoot Truth and Justice at End of Track annual match in two weeks.  Also going to shoot my Kirst Saber River and its 5.5 inch 1860 little brother.  Four days of shooting, s a good time will be had by all.  Pics will be forthcoming.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2022, 10:03:49 PM »
Patience is a virtue!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk