Author Topic: Need Gunsmith Recommendation for Colt Lightning Rifle  (Read 1022 times)

Offline 44caliberkid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need Gunsmith Recommendation for Colt Lightning Rifle
« on: February 04, 2022, 07:04:04 PM »
I have an original Colt Lightning rifle in 32 WCF. The lifter doesn’t lift and something is keeping the loading gate from fully opening. The piece that holds the cartridges in the magazine tube doesn’t move either. Anyone know a great antique smith, preferably close to Iowa that can work n these?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Need Gunsmith Recommendation for Colt Lightning Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 11:34:24 PM »
How about Lassiter (Tom's Single Action Shop)?  He's in Ohio, which is a kind of far drive (not so much if you're from Texas).  He is topnotch with many guns, but certainly lightnings.  Great shooter as well, and the combo of talents let him win a national championship with a Taurus Thunderbolt.

Runn & Iron is in south central Nebraska, a little closer.  Don't know about lightnings but they have a good reputation in general.

Offline 44caliberkid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 01:48:07 PM »
It has been a year since I asked, but I finally was able to drop the Lightening off with Lassiter, in Ohio.  We were going to Harrisburg, PA for the Great American Outdoor Show, so I called him the morning we were going through Dayton to ask if I could bring it by. He is very busy, but I’m not in a hurry. He was also very gracious to let me stop by and drop off the rifle.  He was able to point out a couple of things he saw wrong immediately, like a frozen firing pin.  He also showed me his original Colt Lightening in 38-40, that is his competition rifle right now. Wow, was that a smooth runner.  Also showed me a customer’s Taurus Lightening that he rebarreled to 44 Special.  I gotta love that.  I’m very thankful for the time he took and information he shared with me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:46:11 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 02:29:38 PM »
... He is very busy, but I’m not in a hurry. He was also very gracious to let me stop by and drop off the rifle....

Well, it's pretty obvious you are in no hurry since it was not one but two years ago that you first asked about it (time flies, eh?).  ;D   But I'm sure you will be quite pleased with his work.  Give us a report when you get it back.

Offline 44caliberkid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 06:36:30 PM »
Duh, it has been two years. We travel a lot and I was waiting for a trip going east to take it to him. But we’ve only been going south and west the last two years.  Have probably two more trips east planned this year so might get to coordinate a pick up too.  Combine it with a walleye charter out of Sandusky.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com