Author Topic: Cimarron carbine safe carry  (Read 1564 times)

Offline griffith

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron carbine safe carry
« on: May 30, 2020, 05:09:36 PM »
     Is it safe to carry a Cimarron saddle ring carbine with a round in the chamber and the hammer down?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Cimarron carbine safe carry
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 05:48:02 PM »
No.  Hammer on safety notch would be better, but still not recommended (like safety notch on SAA).

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 10:09:44 AM »

???   PLUS ONE too Abilene    ???

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:00:19 PM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 03:38:39 PM »
Unless the rioters are coming down your residential street, or that long driveway in the country, having an empty chamber is the way to go. This despite John T. Chance's admonition to Colorado (courtesy of Warner Brothers "Rio Bravo") about keeping his carbine cocked as some were faster with a short gun than he was. (smile)

Dave

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 04:58:31 PM »
     Is it safe to carry a Cimarron saddle ring carbine with a round in the chamber and the hammer down?
Unless that carbine has an inertia firing pin (where when the pin is fully forward, it does not stick out from the face of the bolt, and is held that way by an internal retraction spring, NO! And, even then, should the gun happen to fall on its muzzle on a hard surface, it still might go off.  I don't like relying on the half-cock notch on single-action revolvers or rifles with firing pins long enough to project through the bolt face, so that it would fire if the half-cock notch broke off, and the hammer can fall fully down! 
Stay well, Pard!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline griffith

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 07:03:39 AM »
     Thanks for the answers. I wasn't sure if the firing pin was retracted by a spring or not. The only exploded drawing I've found is so small. I can't tell how things work in there.

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 07:27:32 AM »
Winchester 65, '86, '92, '94 and Marlin 336, chamber loaded hammer at half cock for 60 years. YOU are the safety!

DD
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 05:29:55 PM »

Sorry Dirty Dick.  I must take exception.

Just because you can, DOES NOT mean you should.  Should luck run out, it usually gets really ugly.

griffith.  Yea, the exploded drawing often leave a lot to be desired.  The Uberti firing pin is retracted and retained retracted by a spring.  OFTEN, that firing pin can still protrude past the breach face of the breach block (bolt) and most certainly CAN protrude with the action closed up.  Carry with a round chambered is spooky.  I am well aware often, hunters wander around with a round chambered because the sound of chambering a round can spook game.  I'd much rather spook game than put a round thru me or someone else (unless I meant to shoot 'em)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 04:45:48 PM »
     Thanks for the answers. I wasn't sure if the firing pin was retracted by a spring or not. The only exploded drawing I've found is so small. I can't tell how things work in there.
Open the action just enough that you can see the bolt face. Press hard on the rear of the firing pin until the rear is flush with the back of the bolt and see if the firing pin protrudes from the bolt face. That is NOT a sure way to tell because there might be an interlocking firing pin retractor.  But at least it is a start.  The chances are, however, that the firing pin is NOT of the inertia type.  And even if it is, if the gun is dropped on the muzzle, it still might go off.

One technique I used to use when I went hunting with a M1886 was to chamber a round, put the hammer on half-cock, and then open the lever enough so I could get the fingers of my shooting hand between the top of the lever and the stock. The trigger would not allow the hammer to fall on that type of gun, and if I fell, the worst that could happen would be mashed fingers! :o  If I ran into game, I would just slip my fingers out, close the lever and ease the hammer back to full cock. Killed a couple of wild boar down Tennesse-way back in '63! Rifle was chambered for .33WCF. 
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline griffith

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 04:56:48 PM »
     I don't plan on carrying it with a round in the chamber. I just asked out of curiosity.

Coffinmaker: I thought the latest Uberti 73's had changed from a spring to some type of retracting arm.

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 06:19:20 PM »
M14, M16, carried round in the chamber, safety on, 1911 .45 ACP always cocked and locked, never shot anyone by accident.  Your mileage may vary.  ;D
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 10:14:31 AM »
M14, M16, carried round in the chamber, safety on, 1911 .45 ACP always cocked and locked, never shot anyone by accident.  Your mileage may vary.  ;D

The problem is mileage does vary, even with individuals.

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 11:30:13 AM »

OK there Dirty Dick.

Let me express, when one is already in harms way, wandering thru/around the rice paddies, around and through the weeds, it is normal and understandable to have a round chambered.  I spent three tours is South East Asia and that practice was "The Normal."  Entirely different circumstances.

ALSO:  The 1911 was specifically designed to be carried "Cocked and Locked."  Carried that way myself also in said bushes and still do.

The 1873 toggle Link rifle was NEVER designed nor intended to be carried with a round chambered as one wandered around the home patch.  Quite frankly, your analogy sucks.  Your mileage does VARY.

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 07:21:22 PM »
I respectively disagree!   ;D
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 07:40:42 PM »
'I respectfully disagree'. From a muzzleloader to an M60, it does'nt  matter, YOU are the safety!   Coffinmaker, is it your opinion that the M14 was the Best battle rifle!  Or? Inquiring minds seek to know. 
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 12:12:59 AM »
Some guns have very positive mechanical safeties and I feel are within the margin of safety to carry with a loaded chamber. I have certainly carried modern rifles like the AR-15/M4 series and pistols like the 1911 style with loaded chambers and their positive safeties applied. I have to agree with others, though, that relying on a half-cock as a safety is asking for trouble. It really isn't a fair comparison. You might be able to get away with it, but the risk is much higher.
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 10:42:22 AM »

:)  Dirty Dick   ;)

Naw.  I did have occasion to drag an M14 around the patch.  I really liked it.  EXCEPT:  The thing weighed a ton.  The ammo load out also weighed a ton.  When fired Rock-n-Roll, it was almost impossible to control.  It would however, punch right thru the shrubbery and it never stopped.  This was in the early days of the "Mattel Toy" M16.  It was not unusual to be forced to open up and clean a jammed M16 in the middle of a fire fight.  The M16 was also totally unsuited for Jungle operations.  The bullets were easily deflected by the bushes.  I would probably like the latest iterations, the M4, in open country (Middle east) but have my doubts of effectiveness in the shrubbery, but have not had occasion to try that.  The M4 is lighter than an M14 and is no longer a "Jam-0-Matic and a full load out is lighter than that of the M14.  I would still rather an M14 but would not run one on full auto.  Based on personal experience, if you're stuck in the Bushes, the most effective close in weapon is a 12Ga with Buck Shot.  Lugging an M60 is cruel and unusual punishment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com