Author Topic: Modifacations  (Read 2732 times)

Offline ABOYNAMED SUE

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Modifacations
« on: September 21, 2008, 01:47:59 AM »
So how was the follower modified and what else did it take for the 44 russians to function/cycle?

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Modifacations
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:10:10 AM »
Depending on how short you load the Russian, it can be done two ways. If longer 240 grainers are used, sometimes steepening the bevel on the lower front edge of the carrier will work.  The other way is to use the set screw method that Terry Schultz (Major?) writes about.  A set screw is tapped in from the side, protruding slightly into the bottom channel of the carrier.  A small portion of the bolt face is removed to clear the screw.  The screw stops the short round from going all the way in.

This was developed by re-enactors to load short blanks in there Henry rifles.  I have one of Terry's blocks and it feeds crimped 45, 44-40 and 38-40 brass into my 45 Colt Henry.  It will cycle 45 Schofields with 200 grain bullets with the original lifter, but needs the modified for Schofields with 180s.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 11:36:38 AM »
My carrier just had the front end beveled so it feeds .44 Russian, Colt and Special.  Not familiar with the mechanics of the thing to say why.  It just does.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:31:44 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com