Author Topic: Buffalo rifles in the Movies  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Re: Buffalo rifles in the Movies
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2022, 06:43:34 AM »
Quigley definitely put the thought in my mind, but I opted for a trapdoor.  I have had a fondness for those since passing up a good deal on three of them in the 80s.   

My issue with Quigley down under is it left me with a big quesiton.   Is Hans Gruber, Australian, or Austrian?    Very confusing.

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2022, 05:08:44 PM »
   Let's not forget Wes Studi in "Geronimo" when he shot at the lawman's head and broke his whiskey jug!

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2022, 08:39:58 PM »
The first movie for me was titled 'The Last Hunt'.  It had Stewart Granger using the Sharps.

Believe it or not, this same movie also had a 'second' first time to see rifle, for me. Robert Taylor was using a Win 1876.

I still watch this movie at least once a year.

Thanks for mentioning this movie! I tracked down a DVD of it on eBay and took a chance. We just finished watching it and we were really impressed. It had a thoughtful plot and dealt with some topics that you don't often see in movies from the '50s. Several aspects were quite realistic, like the muddy streets, the buffalo, of course and most of the guns. There was the Sharps and a nickeled 1876 as well as a nickeled 1873 carbine. One character caries a top-break revolver (also nickeled). Maybe you can help me identify Robert Taylor's revolver. It was hard to get a clear look, but it was similar in appearance to a SAA, but with a swing-out cylinder. I couldn't see if it was double-action. I might have to watch it again to see if I can get a better look.

Anyway, I'd recommend the movie to those who like old westerns. (For those who don't like old westerns, there's something wrong with you.). Thanks again!

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:16:29 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2022, 12:25:46 AM »
There are a number of Sharps rifles being used in the 1960 Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn film "The Unforgiven" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054428/). There's even a bullet casting and reloading scene. I believe that Audrey Hepburn was miscast, but it's still a good movie. In my opinion, Audie Murphy does his best acting in this film.
J
Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2022, 06:52:44 PM »
I was a kid in Va. during the Civil War centennial and had about a 1/2 scale plastic model of a Sharps '63 carbine. It was a kit like a plastic model plane and when assembled the breech worked. I loved it!  I've owned several since then. My current N-SSA carbine is an early '59 model.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com