Author Topic: "Cowboy Cavalry" by Gordon Tolton  (Read 1491 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Cowboy Cavalry" by Gordon Tolton
« on: September 12, 2011, 11:57:10 AM »
Another book I recently read - "Cowboy Cavalry" by Gordon Tolton.

This one is about the 1885 Rebellion in western Canada when several units of irregular cavalry were raised in response to a feared Indian rebellion. What's interesting about is the number of Americans who enlisted, all taking the oath of allegiance to HRH Queen Victoria in order to serve!
Some did it out of a sense of adventure and others out of necessity, needing a little distance between them and the long arm of the US law. Most were already living and working in Alberta at the time, having drifted in on cattle drives. The border didn't count for much in those days.

If they needed them, recruits were issued horses, saddles, rifle and pistol. They were allowed to keep them following discharge, along with a land preemption. Issued kit was mainly paid for by wealthy ex-pat Brits who vainly hoped for glory, recognition and government reimbursement. They were disappointed in that, getting back only a small portion.
All were awarded the 1885 Rebellion Medal and paraded as 'heroes' once the dust settled, hardly a shot being fired during the emergency. The indians were smart enough not to take them on.

This was the beginning of the big cattle empires in Alberta. Then came the Boer Wars and WWI. The same loyal Colonials, ex-pat Brits and American adventurers went off to those wars, many not returning. Then the cattle empires became farming empires.

I met Gordon Tolton this summer at "Fort Whoop Up" near Lethbridge, Alberta. I went on at length about the above book, missing the fact that he told me he was the author early in the conversation. It was a pleasure to meet him.

Tolton has other titles as well on Canadian history like "Warships On The Prairies", the story of Gen. Middleton's use of steam powered paddle wheel vessels during the earlier Metis NW Rebellion. The Captains and pilots of those vessels were recruited for the Nile River rescue of 'Gordon of Khartoum', several of them Americans.

These stories would make GREAT movies as they don't need embellishment or big name stars. They stand alone.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com