Author Topic: 3:10 to Yuma 1957 version  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Tubac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
3:10 to Yuma 1957 version
« on: November 07, 2007, 08:13:50 PM »
Hi gents,
I'm not familiar with the 1957 version. Did the posse go from Bisbee to Contention in that version too?
The reason I ask, is that in the early 1880's the only way to get to Yuma by rail from that area was the New
Mexico & Arizona RR.You would take the NM&A to Benson, then west on the Southern Pacific track to Yuma.
The terminal for the NM&A was in Fairbank, which was south of Contention City.  To get to Contention, you'd have to
ride past the terminal at Fairbank, and get on an ore train at Contention City then go south to the terminal at Fairbank.
This would seem rather silly. Of course, Elmore Leonard could have just liked the name Contention better than Fairbank. ;D
Both towns were on the San Pedro river and milled the ore from Tombstone.

Tubac
from the Confederate Territory of Arizona

Offline gunplay

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 3:10 to Yuma 1957 version
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:11:05 PM »
The two movies are similiar in title only.  I haven"t seen the new version.  But in the original, Van Heflin carried a coach gun and Glenn Ford was in handcuffs the whole movie.  Little if any shooting  as I remember.  Van played a scared good guy very well and as usual Glenn carried  off being a bad guy very well.  Probably the original was closer to the way it would have happened in the old west.  More people are shot in one movie than were killed in gunfight in the old west really.  Bat Masterson was in only three gunfights in his career and wounded two and killed one which was Sgt King.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 08:48:41 AM »
I haven"t seen the new version.

Then how can you comment on the new version?  ???

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:28:07 PM »

Offline dakotaranger

• Citizen
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 11:42:37 PM »
The two movies are similiar in title only.  I haven"t seen the new version.  But in the original, Van Heflin carried a coach gun and Glenn Ford was in handcuffs the whole movie.  Little if any shooting  as I remember.  Van played a scared good guy very well and as usual Glenn carried  off being a bad guy very well.  Probably the original was closer to the way it would have happened in the old west.  More people are shot in one movie than were killed in gunfight in the old west really.  Bat Masterson was in only three gunfights in his career and wounded two and killed one which was Sgt King.
Actually, there was quite a bit of the dialogue was exactly the same.  There were things that were similar also.  The walk to the train was fairly close, even if the ending was totally different.  Ben trying to bribe Dan was the same. The saloon girl relationship was in the original.

The original version is worth buying a copy.

In the orginal there was just the Alex Potter, Butterfield and Dan that took Ben to Contention. 
If the pen is truely mightier than the sword, they why do so many people weild crayons

Offline gunplay

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 01:20:18 PM »
At the present time, I am in the Philippines so I have not seen the new version.  I have only the comments about the new version to go by so I did not comment on it except that it was different from the original.  I am very sorry if I have upset anyone by daring to to make a comment here.  Rest assured that it will not happen again.

Offline Stophel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 01:08:25 PM »
It ran a couple of times a few days ago on the Encore Westerns channel.  I didn't get to see it either time.  Once, I saw the very beginning, but had to leave.  They may run it again soon.
The quickest reload is a second gun!

www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Flintlocks                                                                                       
Ich bin der Weg, und die Wahrheit, und das Leben, niemand kommt zur Vater denn durch mich.  Johannes 14:6

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 01:20:31 PM »
Just saw the original version fer the first time yesterday--a Valentine gift from my wife.
     It was great!  The resemblence between Glen Ford and Russel Crow was striking.  There was less shooting in the old version an it kinda reminded me of all the Jimmy Stewart flicks--good man doin what he can for his family an ended up takin charge of a mess.  Who ever had the idea to change the end on the new one was an idiot, the 'riginal was perfect.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Stophel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 05:05:04 PM »
I just saw the last half hour or so of it on TV the other day.  MUCH better than the new version, and much more satisfying an ending.   ;)
The quickest reload is a second gun!

www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Flintlocks                                                                                       
Ich bin der Weg, und die Wahrheit, und das Leben, niemand kommt zur Vater denn durch mich.  Johannes 14:6

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com