Author Topic: Toilet paper fillers  (Read 634 times)

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Toilet paper fillers
« on: December 03, 2021, 11:59:37 AM »
If using to as a filler does the bullet have to be seated tight to it to prevent ringing of the chamber. New to loading smokeless in these rifles
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Toilet paper fillers
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 12:36:42 PM »
By seated tight do you mean a tight wad of whatever filler you are using?  Do you mean actual case tightness, as with a custom sizer?  Are you talking about the crimp?
In regards to the first, I have never used toilet paper (I have a wad of dacron that I've been using on different cases for about 40 years) but I don't make the wad any denser than needed to hold the powder at the bottom of the case.  I have experimented with tight wads vs. just enough, and have found no real difference.  Of course, this is only my experience.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 12:57:52 PM »
I have used 1/4 sheet of single-ply (Scott's) toilet tissue poked LOOSELY into the case over light loads of smokeless powder (mainly IMR 4198) in .40-65, .45-70 and .45-2.5" cartridges for years and never ringed a barrel yet.  The key is to let the bullet do the final seating of the tissue. Charge weights may need to be reduced slightly due to reduced volume in the case. Best practice is to develop loads using a chronograph. Always crimp the case mouth firmly into the cannelure or grease grove to allow the smokeless powder to ignite properly.  That applies to all low smokeless loads in large capacity cases, including rifle-caliber pistol cartridges (.45LC, .44-40, etc.).
 [Usual disclaimer: Not for use in guns and ammo other than my own. Cannot assume responsibility for what others may do.]
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:49:55 PM »

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 04:09:42 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com