Author Topic: New cylinder,,teeth to long?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
New cylinder,,teeth to long?
« on: October 16, 2021, 10:04:34 AM »
Converting a Uberti to 44 special,,Bought new cylinder and it will not fit in frame ,, tried fitting it in a Uberti cattleman revolver and a new El patron revolver,, It was a no go on both,,After measuring everything ,,the only thing different is the ratchet teeth are longer on the new cylinder,,So before I start taking a file to it,,Is this a feasible solution?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: New cylinder,,teeth to long?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 10:41:35 AM »

:)  willy   ;)

Does this cylinder have a removable bushing ??

Yes, you can work the star down, but advised, you may well screw up the headspace in the process.

Play Safe out There

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 12:27:52 PM »
Yes it does have the removable bushing,,The teeth on the new cylinder are .01 longer than the old cylinder,,all other measurements are the same,,Also the teeth on new cylinder come to a sharp point where as the original cylinder has more of a blunt shape on the teeth.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:12:11 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 10:40:37 AM »
If the bushing is removable remove it and try putting the cylinder in the frame.  If it goes in put an empty case in the cylinder and check the headspace.  Then put the cylinder in a lathe and turn the teeth down until the headspace is correct.  Then fit the cylinder bushing.  I had several brand new Colt cylinders that came just as you describe and had to turn the ratchet teeth down to set the headspace.  If you donot know how to set headspace let someone else fit the cylinder.  I also would not use a file if you genuinely have to remove .01 of material.  That is 100 thousands of an inch and the chances of you filing the teeth square is pretty low.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 10:53:30 AM »
...I also would not use a file if you genuinely have to remove .01 of material.  That is 100 thousands of an inch and the chances of you filing the teeth square is pretty low.

Hey Larsen, your calculator needs a new battery  :)
.01 is 10 thousandths.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 11:30:43 AM »
Big fingers, little buttons.  Luckily the buttons on my milling machine are a lot bigger. :D

Also the two digits threw my eyes off.  Thousands are usually written .010.

Same procedure.  Remove cylinder bushing, insert cylinder, measure head space and go from there.

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 04:28:05 PM »
If the bushing is removable remove it and try putting the cylinder in the frame.  If it goes in put an empty case in the cylinder and check the headspace.  Then put the cylinder in a lathe and turn the teeth down until the headspace is correct.  Then fit the cylinder bushing.  I had several brand new Colt cylinders that came just as you describe and had to turn the ratchet teeth down to set the headspace.  If you donot know how to set headspace let someone else fit the cylinder.  I also would not use a file if you genuinely have to remove .01 of material.  That is 100 thousands of an inch and the chances of you filing the teeth square is pretty low.

ooooh!, I never gave the head space a thought! You might have just saved me from ruining a brand new cylinder,,,Checked the head space on the old 45 colt cylinder and it was .004,, checked the new 44 spl, cylinder and it is .005   so I will work on the front of the bushing,,if I screw it up I can just get another bushing. Thanks for the info.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 09:31:18 PM »
If you screw it up you can buy some cylinder bushing shims.  Several vendors sell them here is one.

https://triggershims.com/cylinder_shims.php#S9

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 11:48:44 AM »
If you screw it up you can buy some cylinder bushing shims.  Several vendors sell them here is one.

https://triggershims.com/cylinder_shims.php#S9
[/quot

thanks,,,again

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 02:58:52 PM »
UP DATE,, 44 special cylinder fitted with almost - 0 - end shake ( less than a Ruger Blackhawk from the factory.
New 2nd gen. 7 1/2” SAA barrel installed ( with almost 2 hours of file and fit work)  .005 cylinder gap
first tests
3 groups of five shots with 7.5 gr. Unique 245 gr. SWC. 2 1/2” average  group (dead center but 1 inch low of poa)
3 groups of five shot with 9.5 gr. unique 180 gr. RNF  2” average group (one group was 3/4” ) groups was centered but about 7” below poa,,
I’m a very happy camper,,thanks for you all’s input..
Think I’m going to play around with the 245 grain loads before I take a file to the front sight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com