Author Topic: Gunfight at the OK Corral Match  (Read 1063 times)

Offline SgtRickHenry

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Gunfight at the OK Corral Match
« on: October 26, 2022, 10:52:47 AM »
On this date, October 26th, in 1881 a fierce and deadly shootout occurred in the alley behind the OK Corral, in Tombstone, A.T., which has come to be known as The Gunfight at the OK Corral.  The incident started when officers of the City Police, Wyatt Earp, Virgil, Morgan, and "Doc" Holliday (who had been deputized) attempted to arrest members of the Clanton-McLaury group, for carrying firearms within the city limits, in violation of a local ordinance.  That was, of course, a pretext to disarm certain individuals who had made threats against their lives earlier, and whom the officers believed intended to make good on those threats.  When the officers demanded their guns, some of them ran off, leaving Billy Clanton, and Frank and Tom McLaury.  The officers later testified that when the gang members attempted to draw their guns, they defended themselves, which resulted in three police officers wounded, and the three suspects, mortally wounded or dead.  Only Wyatt Earp came through unscathed. 

Our local NCOWS posse, the South Carolina Old West Shootists, holds a match every year, in which all of the stages are based on this shootout and the events that followed.  This year's match will be held Saturday, October 29th, 2022 at our local range in Gaston, SC.  We normally shoot four main stages plus a shorter, bonus only stage.  I have often wondered if other posses so anything similar, around this time of the year.  I brought the subject up a couple of times, during Cowboy match I had attended, not only did no one seem to even realize the historical significance in Old West history of the timing of that particular match, albeit it perhaps a little macabre, but when informed of same, there wasn't even any interest shown.

Nonetheless, if anyone finds him-or-her-self in Gaston, SC this coming Saturday Morning, please drop by and join us.  We have cowboy coffee (tastes like coffee, not water) and donuts typically at every match.  We normally shoot matches the second Sunday of every month, except November, and the fifth Saturday of such months in which they occur.  Our range is located at Mid-Carolina Rifle Club, 3435 Fish Hatchery Rd., Gaston, SC 29053.  We normally do not shoot matches in rainy weather, blizzards, or hurricanes.  Please see our contact info on the NCOWS web page, under POSSES, http://ncows.com/posses.html 
Sgt. R. Henry, Marshal
S.C. Old West Shootists
An NCOWS Posse

NCOWS, SASS, & NRA Life
Fly Navy, Support Your Local Police

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
Re: Gunfight at the OK Corral Match
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 02:24:03 PM »
I spent a couple of months in Tombstone 3 winters ago. I was at a campground 4 blocks from the OK
corral on Allen street. As members of this organization we know how to look right. It's very cool walking
the boardwalk with boots and jinglebobs, carrying a Colt and Winchester. I posed with tourists for
literally hundreds of pictures. My 73 Winchester was made  in 1882 possibly during the vendetta ride.
I got to ride horseback in period clothes (of course) out to the remains of the Clanton ranch. Go have
a beer in the Crystal Palace Saloon and you will have to check your Colt at the bar, (don't forget it).

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline SgtRickHenry

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 04:43:28 PM »
I have visited Tombstone several times, and even my adult children had a blast just being there.  My son actually raised the idea and asked that we go.  I look forward to the next trip out, hopefully soon. 
Sgt. R. Henry, Marshal
S.C. Old West Shootists
An NCOWS Posse

NCOWS, SASS, & NRA Life
Fly Navy, Support Your Local Police

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:52:36 AM »

Offline MoonShine

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • SASS #: 20515L
  • NCOWS #: L-196
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 11:32:28 AM »
Howdy!  Been to Tombstone as well.  Enjoyed the visit both times... Had lunch at Bignose Kates.

MoonShine
MoonShine
SC Old West Shootists
NCOWS Life, SASS Life and NRA Life Benefactor Member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com