Author Topic: True 1858 Remington frame  (Read 1297 times)

Offline BlindWillieGaspasser

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
True 1858 Remington frame
« on: August 10, 2020, 07:33:34 PM »
I'm curious if anyone can help me out with a question. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
I've always been a huge fan of the 1858 Remington revolver. I've read the stories of the "design flaw" of the frame where the barrel meets with the cylinder face. Allegedly, it was this "flaw" that led to the frame design change starting in about 1862/63. All reproduction 1858's offered today all follow the design change. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't anyone offering a reproduction "true" 1858 Remington/Remington-Beals frame. I'm hoping there may be someone out there who can point me in the direction of someone who can reproduce the original frame design that will allow me to use parts from a Pietta or Uberti and experience shooting a "true" 1858. It was suggested to just buy an original and shoot that. I don't have that kind of money to spend on an original in good enough condition to shoot nor would I feel completely comfortable to do so either.

Thanks all!!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: True 1858 Remington frame
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 07:48:46 PM »
Picture 1
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 07:50:07 PM »
Picture 2
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:40:02 AM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 07:51:25 PM »
Picture 3
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 07:57:29 PM »
You could modify an older small frame repro, if you could find one.

Picture shows the size difference. Most currently available Uberti all use the larger frame.
RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 08:03:52 PM »
Comparison of frames. Army top, Navy middle, Beals bottom.
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 08:07:17 PM »
There was an article done by someone altering a Remmington to look closer to the Beals. Grinding down the rammer, etc.
If I can locate it, I'll post. Seems to me they used a smaller frame Navy repro for the project.

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 09:29:58 PM »
Well, there is an easier way to "fix" a modern Remington that will alleviate the binding they so want to display!!!

You need to make a "fouling cut"or groove (on the pin),  right at the front of the cylinder/basepin intersection (this part is from Sam Colt). A fairly decent cut around the pin (.020") or so.  You need to chuck the pin up inna drill motor and about a 1/4" back from the cut , diminish the diameter of the pin maybe an 1/8" or so all the way back to where the factory clearance cut  for the loading lever screw clearance  goes (a bench belt sander is excellent here).  Then link the front cut with the  reduced dia . pin with 3 grooves angled left to right (front to back) think dremel. That way, any fouling that gets between the cyl and pin has somewhere to cycle back to.

Seems to work very well!!  I have a pair of state champion revolvers with that setup!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com