Author Topic: Pocket Revolvers  (Read 6696 times)

Offline TomDoniphon

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pocket Revolvers
« on: December 11, 2015, 09:19:31 AM »
Hello,
I have interest in carrying a small, concealable firearm with me for protection on occasion. I also have interest in cowboy action firearms. I am wondering if there is a modern gun that truly melds those two thoughts together.

Many cowboys carried pocket guns concealed on their person to skirt gun laws in cities. I have not seen many recreations of those guns on the market. Surely there has to be an interest.

Wondering if a short barrelled Cimarron Lightning or some small framed birds head might fit the bill. Realizing and not wanting to debate the merits of a single action revolver as a carry gun, does a particular model come to anybody's mind?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Pocket Revolvers
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 10:08:55 AM »
You would not be under gunned.. with a Sheriff or store Keeper 2" or 3" barrel SA in 45.
Limited Yes in rounds count...but not under gunned .

I have one and on the belt its a good trail carry ( no heaver or bulky than my 1911) not as good as the 1911 though.
(BTW mine is a USPFA in nickel in the Avatar @ left )

S&W made a New Departure DA and one dated after 1909 could use smokeless 38 Colt...no Special or certainly no +P.

Personally for daily use, I carry a S&W model 36 DA in 38 Special @ 5 shots,  I'm short on round count but I prefer the carry & simple pull & shoot revolver.

No plastic guns I care for ....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 10:11:43 AM »
Trusting your life to a quaint, slow-to-load pocket revolver from the nineteenth century isn't the best of ideas, just because you really, really like C&WAS.

You don't carry concealed based on the 'cool factor' of something obscure, or unusual, or to be different from the other kids on the block who carry deadly weapons - you carry because you may 'need' to actually put said weapon into play at some difficult point in your life, and you pray that that day never comes, because if it does, then no matter who is in the right - things are never the same.

Also, should that happen, the piece 'will' be surrendered and put into the Property Room until adjudication is over and done with - and LE agencies don't have velvet-lined boxes to place it in, so rest assured it'll be returned with brand-new dings and scratches you've never seen before, if it's returned at all.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:20:15 AM »

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
Robert is exactly right ...  normally & as usual

Still... I hope I never see the day , more than 5 or 6 38+P  or 45 Colt won't see me prevail.
I hope to never NEED anything...but I carry a 1911 often or the 38P+ when concealment is the order of the day

Offline TomDoniphon

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 06:19:04 PM »
I never said it was the only gun I would carry. Also said I was not going to debate the merits of single actions as carry guns so I won't. Thanks for the opinion anyways.

Have not seen too much on the store keepers. In fact, only one I have laid eyes on was a Ruger 22. I was thinking of something a little larger and the gentleman behind the counter could not help more than, "it us a Ruger..."

I suppose my search continues...

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 07:20:08 PM »
here is mine in 45 Colt

Birdsheads is not mine, just to illustrate it can be done

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 07:04:00 AM »
I'll point out here that you're the one asking specifically about the Cimarron 'Lightning'.

In case you never noticed, it's a single-action, and not a double-action revolver - so while it fits your criteria for a small, birds-head for pocket carry (and it does that) it's still a single-action and can't be modified.

Using a small top-break like a Smith & Wesson is fine - 'except' that S&W didn't warrant their metal for smokeless until 1914, so .38 Special's pretty much out, and .38 S&W will have to be the round of choice.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 09:44:34 AM »
Why is it totally acceptable to dress up like outlaws play cas on sundays, but deemed irresponsible to want to carry a pocket pistol in a coffee shop on mondays?

Offline TomDoniphon

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 02:26:36 PM »
Why is it totally acceptable to dress up like outlaws play cas on sundays, but deemed irresponsible to want to carry a pocket pistol in a coffee shop on mondays?

Amen!

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 02:53:07 PM »
I have an Iver Johnson 3" 38 S&W top break I'll slip into a pocket now and then.  These were made up until WW2, warrantied for smokeless, all coil springs, transfer bar safety, and mine is a fine shooter.    Its not my 1911, Tokarev, or S&W K frame, but its a pocket revolver for when a jacket pocket is all that's available.  And a fast reload, come to that.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 12:34:20 PM »
I carried a 5 1/2" SAA in .45 tucked behind my belt for many years.  Never once had an issue with concealabilty or feeling under-gunned.

Had to give it up when I gained so much weight after I retired.  Made my pants fall down when I let enough of my belt out to shove the gun behind.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com