Author Topic: Serial number lookup please, unique barrel SN location, Confederate captured?  (Read 579 times)

Offline GABguns

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi all, new member of SSS in 2022 and my first post.

I have two potentially captured M1860 carbines - this post will just focus on the earlier SN 16446.  This gun is broken at the rear of the receiver and all that I have is from the receiver forward.  The lever, sling plate, lock plate screw, trigger guard screw, and tube sleeve fractures appear to be impact fractures from long ago.  The exposed barrel and receiver metal is slightly corrosion pitted and the wood forearm is moderately weathered suggesting it was exposed to the elements for several months.  So all things add up to this gun being a Confederate capture, but due to the inability for the South to procure cartridges, the best option was to render the Spencer unusable; and it laid in a field somewhere until picked up several months after it was captured.

Research thus far, minus SRS (help please?), suggests the carbine was issued to the 2nd Michigan Cavalry.  Internet research found SN 16442 etched John Clark believed to be from Co. H, 2nd Michigan Cav.  I also found an interesting Spencer assessment in the the diary of Henry Hempstead, Co. M and previously acting QM, who writes in his diary on March 6, 1864.  I didn't think carbines were being issued this early in 1864.

"Today has been an eventful day with the 2nd Michigan Cavalry.  We have surrendered our guns, those old Colts revolving rifles which have served us so well for nearly three years and whose grim barrels cluster many memories of toil, privation and danger and of some scenes that still make our hearts leap with pride.  Those death dealing five chamber guns which we once thought made us almost invincible now in the march of improvement have become only second rate arms, and we have cheerfully surrendered them not to the Enemy but to the Quarter Master and in their stead have received new 7 shot Spencer Carbines, the most effective and best arm I have yet seen.  Spencer Carbines arm all that are left for duty of the best of the elite of company M.  A few more guns could be used but the No. 4 or horse-holder, cooks and poorer men can get along for the present."

I've attached photos.  Note the barrel SN is on the sight mount surfaces (on both the higher surface although a very light stamp on the rear surface) with a number "7" stamped on the lower surface.

Help and commentary I'd appreciate from the SSS forum members:

1) SN 16446 look up in SRS
2) SN 16442 look up in SRS - confirmed issue to 2nd Michigan Cav?
3) Any other examples or insight as to when the barrel SN was stamped on the sight mount surface (I thought barrels were stamped on the underside of the barrel and could not find anything from Marcot).
3) Any insight, thoughts, stories regarding Confederate captured Spencers being rendered unusable?

Thanks and happy holidays!

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Gabguns,

Excellent post and great research.  I will check on the serial #s.  Please shoot me an email  . . . my email address is fsgrand2@fairpoint.net.  I need it to activate your SSS membership.

Two Flints
SSS Moderator

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery