Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 774700 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #620 on: July 16, 2009, 09:04:10 PM »
He jumps every birthday now.  He ruled with an even hand an knew just how far ta go an just when ta stop.  Good man in my book.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #621 on: July 17, 2009, 07:53:13 AM »
George SR. is in relatively good health and I hope he can continue to jump on his birthday,
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
Mathew 5.9

Advertising

« Reply #623 on: Today at 03:48:48 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #623 on: July 19, 2009, 04:45:41 PM »
That article failed to mention about Jimmy's role in "Strategic Air Command" which was filmed at Carswell and Offut AFB's.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #624 on: July 24, 2009, 01:01:10 PM »
Here's a site with some rare and interesting aircraft.

http://rareaircraf1.greyfalcon.us/UNITED%20STATES.htm
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #625 on: July 24, 2009, 01:26:22 PM »
Those are some great pictures.

My grandfather worked fer Northrop and gave me a slew of pictures of experimental planes.  Some of them fit the UFO sightings to a tee.  Got ta see a picture of "flying saucers" with swastikas on them an other German markings that were taken at the end of the war.  I balieve the Russians ended up with that stuff.  Weren't aliens that crashed in New Mexico, it were just commies.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #626 on: July 24, 2009, 01:45:53 PM »
This one sure looks an  awful like a Rutan VariEze.  Bet it weighs a bit more!

Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #627 on: July 24, 2009, 05:50:52 PM »
I really enjoyed seeing the pictures, Major. I especially enjoyed the photo of the B25 with the 75mm cannon in the nose. Dad's outfit had a few of them in the Med. They used them against German ships, especially the "E" Boats.  Dad said that the plane would actually stop when the gun was fired.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #628 on: July 24, 2009, 08:17:37 PM »
All them fliers were somethin else Pop.  I'm still collecting stories about my Uncle Joe and his buddies.  From what I got so far, those guys had ta be at least half crazy.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #629 on: July 25, 2009, 04:29:08 AM »
They were young then, not really thinking much past the next day. You do a lot of stuff like that when you're young and in danger.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #630 on: July 25, 2009, 09:33:22 PM »
Had NGEO on this morning, watched a program about some Austrians recovering a P-47 that had crashed in a lake in the ALPS on the last day of the war in Europe. Plane was shipped to Chino for restoration, believe it was recovered in the late '90's, give or take. They showed the hanger in Chino where it went, had a 17g out front............Buck 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #631 on: July 25, 2009, 09:57:20 PM »
I'll keep an eye out fer that one.  Last day of the war, what a drag.  Hopefully the pilot got out an met some Swiss Miss's.  Mebbe a good runnin watch ta boot, er a handy pocket knife.

Seriously, I'm gonna look that up.  The P47 was one helluva machine.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #632 on: July 26, 2009, 12:18:51 AM »
The P47G at Chino has been owned by them since the 80s. It was purchased from an Individual. The G models were built in a plant in Evansville, Indiana.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #633 on: July 26, 2009, 02:59:15 PM »
He must have a second one now, TLD. this one when it came out of the lake still had vestiges of invasion stripes on it. Believe they took them off late in the war. Not sure which model it was, but it did have the bubble canopy, not a razorback. the pilot did survive, rescued by a pair of Austrian girls and taken to a German hospital. He was still living as of the filming, they interviewed him..................Buck 8)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #634 on: July 26, 2009, 09:27:12 PM »
EAA Airventure starts tomorrow in Oshkosh, WI.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #635 on: July 26, 2009, 11:38:56 PM »
He must have a second one now, TLD. this one when it came out of the lake still had vestiges of invasion stripes on it. Believe they took them off late in the war. Not sure which model it was, but it did have the bubble canopy, not a razorback. the pilot did survive, rescued by a pair of Austrian girls and taken to a German hospital. He was still living as of the filming, they interviewed him..................Buck 8)

God love him, I figgered he'd pull through an be in the hands of some young women.  Don't ask me how I knew that, I just saw it in ma head.  Either we live in fame er go down in flame, nothing can stop the US Air Corps.

Roland Deschain

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #636 on: July 27, 2009, 11:50:36 AM »
EAA Airventure starts tomorrow in Oshkosh, WI.

Slim

Boy I miss that place, but like EOT it's probably outgrown the sense of family it had when I was working it.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #637 on: July 27, 2009, 02:21:30 PM »
I hope to get up to Oskosh sometime for the EAA show.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #638 on: July 27, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »
Gonna be a 17G up at Cleveburg sometime in the next couple weeks. it's out of the Yankee museum up to Willow Run. Saw that one under restoration back in '89..............Buck 8)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #639 on: July 27, 2009, 11:44:05 PM »
I contacted Mr. Bill Hamilton who is VP of the Planes of Fame Museum. He told me that a Planes of Fame member was technical consultant on the History channel episode. Panes of Fame has no direct involvement in the restoration. The plane was at the Chino Airport for a while but it is no longer there. It is being restored at an unknown location. It belongs to an individual owner in Chino, not related to the Panes of Fame Museum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com