Something Wonderful My Way Cometh....

Started by Tuolumne Lawman, March 02, 2024, 08:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuolumne Lawman

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Abilene

Very nice!  But put some cartridges in those loops.  ;D

Tuolumne Lawman

Rather than the typical 200 grain flat point CAS .44 Russian loads, I used Bear Creek's 246 grain, conical round nose .44 Russian/Special bullet over 5.3 grains of Unique.  That is listed in Lymann as a factory duplication load.  That should smack the plates with authority.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Black River Smith

Quote from: Tuolumne Lawman on April 11, 2024, 08:28:32 PM
Rather than the typical 200 grain flat point CAS .44 Russian loads, I used Bear Creek's 246 grain, conical round nose .44 Russian/Special bullet over 5.3 grains of Unique.  That is listed in Lymann as a factory duplication load.  That should smack the plates with authority.

When I shot in NCOWS I used the Lyman 429251 bullet with BP for my 44 Russians in the '72 OP.  Did that only because I never could put my hands on the Lyman 429184 bullet mold listed as the 'regular' 44 Russian bullet.

Have fun with those revolvers.  I will own one someday, just not this soon.
Black River Smith

Tuolumne Lawman

Going to a local matcg Saturday to try them out.  Can't wait!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Tuolumne Lawman

Absolutely wonderful revolvers!  Shot pretty much dead on with 246 grain .44 Russian factory duplication loads (5.3 grains of Unique).  Never dropped a shot.  Next is the annual match at Railroad Flat in the end of May.  Thats a 12 stage match with side matches.  That will wring them out thoroughly for part two of the article.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Tuolumne Lawman

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!   Had to cancel going to my annual match, as my wife wasill and the kids came to see her this weekend.  I'll go to a 6 stage local match on the 8th to wring them out a bit more
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Tuolumne Lawman

Used the pair at a local match. They performed wonderfully. BUT, I still prefer my Anderson 1860 Conversions in .44 Colt! I can't afford really afford to keep both Americans, so the 5" has a new home.  I may keep the 8" as a back-up to my 44 Colt conversions.  It will shoot the 44 Colt ammo, so I don't have to bring two pistol calibers to a match.  I may even use the American and one 1860 conversion , using the other 1860 as back up.  While I can't totally go away from the Conversions, one American and one 1860 wold be a slick combo!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Tuolumne Lawman

After prolonged evaluation, I have decided to keep the 8" American, and I sold the 5 inch.  I am using the 8" American and one Anderson .44 Colt 1860 Conversion as my main match pair.  My second 1860 conversion as back up. I really do love the 8".
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Abilene

Howdy T.L. it took a while before I was able to get home to my printed copy of the Chronicle and read part 1 of the article.  Very much enjoyed it and looking forward to part 2.  Thank you, sir!  :)

Tuolumne Lawman

THANKS, thats the pared down version!  I could have had 5 or 6 more pages of No. 3 lore!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Major 2

Quote from: Tuolumne Lawman on August 29, 2024, 11:04:47 PMAfter prolonged evaluation, I have decided to keep the 8" American, and I sold the 5 inch.  I am using the 8" American and one Anderson .44 Colt 1860 Conversion as my main match pair.  My second 1860 conversion as back up. I really do love the 8".

I don't have an American, I suspect the grip might not work with my Med. Hands.
I would like to try one thought.

I do have a New Model #3 from Uberti and the original 2nd Model Russian you sold me.
The bump, or Knob in the grips suits me fine
when planets align...do the deal !

Tuolumne Lawman

I can't tell you how much I love my 8" American (the 5" just didn't grab me)! After the initial adjustment of the first two range session, I think it is the absolute coolest SASS pistol I have ever had.  Paired with one of my Anderson 1860 .44 Colts, I use my .44 Colt loads in both (Russian won't fit in my Andersons, which were made for .44 Colt BHA).  The American and the 1860 conversion are perfect with my 1860 Henry.  The well equipped 1870 lawman in the California Gold fields.

My .44 Colt loads just became my .44 S&W American loads, since if you read my research post, the .44 S&W was sometimes used in the .44 Colt conversions. I got 4 replica 3 piece .44 S&W American boxes from GC1876 on eBay, and over-labled my Cheyenne c.44 Russian boxes with .44 S&W labels.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com