Author Topic: A Word on Westerns: Classic TV Westerns with writer D.C. Fontana  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68

Writing under the non-gender identifying name D.C. Fontana, Dorothy Fontana (March 25, 1939-Dec 2, 2019) left a lasting legacy as a well-known television writer of science fiction.

Her work on the original "Star Trek" brought her to the attention of that series many fans.  Surprisingly, Dorothy's first television work was on TV's "The Tall Man," where she joined the ranks of a growing number of female TV western writers like Katherine Hite, Gerry Day and Margaret Armen.

Some of her other TV western writing includes: "Lancer," "The Big Valley," "Wild, Wild West," "The Road West," "The High Chaparral," "Here Come the Brides," and "Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years," her last western.

Originally, Dorothy was employed by producer/writer Samuel A. Peeples as a script reader for "The Tall Man" (1960-62).  Dorothy's conflict driven character stories appealed to him and he bought several stories and teleplays for this, and his later series, "Lancer."

While working on the busy Paramount lot for another writer/producer, Gene Roddenberry, Dorothy also sold several stories to that studio's hit western, "Bonanza."

Following her work on "Star Trek" (12 episodes),  she kept busy with multiple writing and producing jobs on an array of science fiction series, including: "Star Trek: The Next Generation," "Logan's Run," "Buck Rogers," "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Babylon 5."

This is the conclusion of an interview with Dorothy from Jan 16, 2018. She was a delight and returned to be an audience member several more times when we taped A WORD ON WESTERNS, which was always a thrill for us and her many fans. She is missed.
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: A Word on Westerns: Classic TV Westerns with writer D.C. Fontana
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 09:17:12 AM »
Gene Roddenberry pitched Star Trek as "a wagon train to the stars", so it really doesn't come as a surprise that his best writer worked on westerns. I just never realized how many things she worked on, that were a part of my childhood.

Offline Deacon Henry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 12:18:45 PM »
Wow great site. Thanks for posting.

Advertising

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 01:08:30 PM »
Every Saturday I watch Arizona Ghostriders and every Sunday I watch A Word on Westerns. Great videos.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline DB Books

• My alter-ego
  • Very Active Citizen
  • JB's vengeful brother
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 09:43:12 AM »
I watch A Word on Westerns & Aridzona Ghostriders on Youtube. I thought it was cool that Fontana wrote episodes of Star Trek as well as Bonanza and another show or two we watched during family time at home in those days. Cool.  8)
Never take life too seriously...there's always somebody else that will!

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 12:39:24 AM »
I enjoy the heck out of Rob Word's videos. The stories are great. He really knows just about everything there is to know about Hollywood westerns also.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com