Author Topic: Aiming methods??  (Read 7076 times)

Offline Bad Hand Dan

• One Handed Two Gun Terror
  • Active citizen
    • Old West Goods
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Aiming methods??
« on: June 10, 2005, 02:55:54 PM »
Since I am disabled and unable to use my good eye to shoot, I'm looking into the disclipline of aiming methods.

I'm intersted in your input what you think is best.. I want to settle on how I'm going to shoot before I spend a great deal of time at the range. I've been closing my right eye as I cannot close my left and keep my right eye open.

I've heard of the point and shoot method with both eyes open, I just wonder what limitations I might face with this style. I would like to be really good.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Best regards,

Bad Hand

"Yeah, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me"

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
Re: Aiming methods??
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 12:25:18 AM »
I normally end up with my left eye closed and use my right eye to sight my guns. 

Other than that, I'm not really sure what you're asking.  I dunno if it's kosher here, but you might check out my book, "Breaking the Shot".  Also, I have a bunch of stuff on my web site that might be of interest.  http://www.jspublications.net/

Doc

Offline Bad Hand Dan

• Active citizen
    • Old West Goods
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 01:22:17 AM »
Howdy Doc,

You have been very helpful to me and I am grateful.

However, if you read my post, I say I am newly disabled and I am unable to close my left eye and keep my right eye open. I thought I was clear on that point. I apologize if I was not.

This is maddening for me and I am desperate to come up with a way to be great. My left eye is weaker than my right as well.

I'm looking for some other way to aim.

Thanks for the response, but I need some other method to aim and I am ready to put in the hours to be decent.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:19:22 AM »

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 05:46:52 PM »
Sounds like you need to put a peice of tape over part of the lens of your glasses so that it blocks out the image.  In this way, you'll be able to keep both eyes open, but still sight your gun with one eye.

Doc

Offline West Longer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 07:56:29 AM »
Howdy Bad Hand Dan

Welcome to this great sport.
Since your right eye see's better, and your left eye is causing you problems when shooting, you might try using an eye patch over the left eye while shooting. It might look cool with your shooting duds. 8)
I shoot with both eyes open. My right eye is dominant. I also shoot double duilest. So when Im shooting with my left gun Im still using my right eye for sighting.
Good luck and good shooting. ;D
Happy Trails & Shoots
West Longer

SASS 46427  LASSOOS #77
Bold 339       BOSS #143
Warthog
NRA
SUDDS #52
RATS #205
P.W.D.F.R. #114

Offline Bad Hand Dan

• Active citizen
    • Old West Goods
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 01:12:10 PM »
Oh Heck yeah, now that's an idea!

I thought of a patch,but figgered it might break the rules!

I'll be the Dread Pirate Bad Hand Dan! 8) 8)

Yarrrrr!

God Bless,

Bad Hand

San Yskidrow Belle

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 04:46:04 PM »
John Wayne wore an eye patch in Rooster Cogburn.  SASS says that anything good enough for John Wayne is good enough for SASS. 

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 12:11:22 AM »
I've been using the point-shooting method recently.  Both eyes open and focused on the target.  Takes a little getting used to but it has sure improved my pistol and shotgun times.  Rifle I'm still closing my weak eye and going for it. 

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 07:09:18 AM »
Uh, IROT, keeping both eyes open isn't point shooting* if you are still using your sights.  :P

I shoot revolvers with both eyes open, left eye dominant.
My right eye is nearly as strong as my left one. That gave me some serious problems as when I focused on my front sight I'd see two targets, and when I focused on the targets I'd see two sights! I had to learn to ignore what my right eye was telling me. I'm still learning Gunfighter and my son tells me it is noticable that I turn my head to get my left eye over the right revolver.
I didn't use the patch, but I've heard it helps pards learn to focus with the eye they want to use.

Good luck, Dan, I hope it works for you and you decide to come out and join us wierdos!

;)

AnnieLee

*Sight shooting is shooting by aiming your sights on the target. Point shooting is shooting by aiming your eyes on the target and having your hands automatically follow your eyes. You shoot where you point.  It requires a LOT of practice, discipline, and ammo.

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Bad Hand Dan

• Active citizen
    • Old West Goods
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 10:34:45 AM »
*Sight shooting is shooting by aiming your sights on the target. Point shooting is shooting by aiming your eyes on the target and having your hands automatically follow your eyes. You shoot where you point.  It requires a LOT of practice, discipline, and ammo."

This is very, very helpful. I've tried both eyes open and I just see double. I'vee been practicing at an indoor range where I am a member, and alll I can practice on is "accuracy". No draw, no multiple targets, no anything to help me in this sport.

I'm going to go through Tequila'a shooting school DVDs now. I have great hopes for learning. I wrote him about my disablility and he called me immediately.
What a fantastic guy. I ordered the Outdoor channel just to watch the Cowboys show he hosts. It is the best thing on TV.

Bad Hand
Weirdo in training

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 04:08:32 PM »
Dan, keep both eyes open, but put a piece of scotch tape on the lens of the side you don't use to sight your gun.  This will allow you to just use 1 eye and still keep both open.  It's a big help in training your eyes for this.

Doc

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 07:43:01 PM »
Welcome to the fire Bad Hand. If you think you're wierd now, just wait till you really get into this game.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Offline Bad Hand Dan

• Active citizen
    • Old West Goods
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 07:50:57 PM »
I've been practicing dry firing with both eyes open. After a period of time I have gotten used to seeing things a little weird. I think I will probably try to get a decent patch for my eye and use that ultimately.

Big Thanks to all my fellow looneys. Say hi if you see me out somewhere.

Big Bad Hand

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 07:52:51 PM »
I heard AnnieLee shoots with both eyes closed. By the way, Arcey told me to say that.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com