Author Topic: Color Guard for Hell on Wheels  (Read 6661 times)

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Color Guard for Hell on Wheels
« on: June 06, 2006, 06:43:04 PM »
Here in the Department of the Platte, we are stumbling toward Hell on Wheels and the color guard detail is still very much in a state of flux.  As commander of the Department of the Platte, I am trying to coordinate Grand Army of the Frontier activities for the opening ceremonies.  Mustang Gregg, who has been an active participant in recent years, will not be able to attend this time around.  Terry Lane has informed me he will be in attendance in his usual Buffalo Bill scout mode.  Trailrider is hoping to be present for the ceremonies and is working to acquire flag harnesses for the department.  Although I will be unable to participate in the HOW match this year I will be present Thursday and Friday for the opening ceremonies.  Except for those mentioned so far, no one else in GAF has given me any indication about being there.  I will be arriving in Cheyenne early on the afternoon of Thursday, June 29th, and hanging at the range most of the afternoon.  I’ll be spending the night at Little America.  I’d like to hear from any GAF members who will be at HOW and are willing to be a part of the color guard. 

Phone:  970-824-8407

e-mail:  akbullen2001@yahoo.com

As always, the efforts and assistance of all are appreciated.
Sagebrush Burns, brevet Colonel
Commanding,
Department of the Platte

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Color Guard for Hell on Wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 11:35:36 AM »
Since the original post considerable progress has been achieved.  Many thanks to all who have responded and particularly to Trailrider who has covered an awesome amount of ground.  We have now heard from Terry Lane, Gringo Jack, Ogallala Jim, and Smiling Bob Masterson, all of whom will be participating in the color guard ceremonies.  Mustang Gregg is making a mighty effort but outside events continue to keep his attendance questionable.  Trailrider has a grand child due about that time but should be able to be there.  The HOW folks have a U.S. flag and a Wyoming state flag ready for us and (thanks to Trailrider) I have four flag harnesses in my possession.  Friday morning we are planning to meet at the range at 0630 to get organized for the opening ceremonies at 0700.  Any GAF members there are invited to meet at the lounge at Little America at about 1930 (7:30PM) Thursday evening for general BS and discussion of GAF dept of the Platte “business”.  Hope to see you all there and I will continue to post up-dates as more information becomes abailable.
Sagebrush Burns, brevet Colonel
Commanding,
Department of the Platte

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 12:06:26 PM »
Gentlemen:

I have the honor to inquire if anyone is planning to bring Trapdoor Springfield carbines or rifles for use in the color guard?  Two would be nice to have, but we can probably get by with one or none, if it comes to it.  I can bring carbine slings (the kind that go from the left shoulder to the right hip, with the big snap swivel.  These are repros I make.  It will NOT be necessary to have them hooked to the carbines.  Rifles don't use them.  I will also have some extra U.S. military equipment in case you need to borrow them.  Belts have a maximum size of about 41-inches, though I might be able to come up with a larger one, if I can get a request NLT 22 June.  These will be waist belts, NOT full-blown CW cavalry rigs.  Waist belts can be used with 1885 Stewart hangers (that's the brass hook with the leather saber straps...the hook goes over the top of the belt.)

We will be having a "muster"/wetting down at 1930 hrs. Thursday evening, 29 June, in the club at Little America motel.  Wives are invited.  I will be buying the first round in celebration of having been promoted by the Colonel Commanding the Dept. of the Platte to the rank of Brevet Major, Ordnance!

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:12:53 AM »

Offline Terry Lane

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 12:25:12 PM »
Howdy all,
Trailrider, congratulations. If you're buyin', I'm drinkin'. Hadn't intended to, but I can bring my '84 rifle if it's needed. Don't have a sling for it though. Take care.
Terry Lane, Nebraska Territory,
Nebraska's Official Hon. Col. Wm. F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody
Grand Army of the Frontier Department of the Missouri Chief of Scouts

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 10:50:49 PM »
GAF troopers, soldiers, sailors:

I plan on making it for the Thurs night "wetting-down".  Save me a place at the table.  I will buy the second round.

If we can work it into the itinerary---I will assist with the Color Guard, if you have an open spot.
BTW:  I do own a nice SASS flag.

Respectfully,
(Bvt) Ltc Mustang Gregg, Cmdr,
Nebraska Regiment, Department of the Missouri.

"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 11:05:55 PM »
Sir:
I will be most happy and gratified if we have "too many" troops! The same is true of flags.  We have the National Colors, Wyoming State Flag, and I'm not sure about any others.  We have four (4) flag harnesses, so bring your SASS flag along! We are looking forward to this muster and seeing you and as many others as can make it!

BTW, that Krag carbine would be welcome, in case we have a shortage of Trapdoor Springfields, etc.

For the Commander, Dept. of the Platte,

I remain,

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 09:48:09 AM »
Gregg - Great to hear you'll be there, hope you can make the color guard too.  As Trailrider said:  "The more the better".  This is looking like it is not only going to work, but like it is going to exceed my expectations.  I am proud to be associated with the likes of Mustang Gregg, Trailrider and all the GAF troops involved in this exercise.  My thanks to all of you.
Sagebrush Burns,
Dept of the Platte,
commanding

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 05:59:46 AM »
I will bring a guidon staff with both a white SASS flag & also our actual 1-124 Cav pennant.  [We can fly either one.]
Do I need to bring more harness/sockets?  Let me know if you want white or OD green.
Respectfully,
Mustang Gregg
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 11:15:52 AM »
Gregg - we now have a matching set of four white flag harnesses.  I'm thinking that should be enough to cover any contingency.  If I recall correctly (that's a BIG if!) four flags is the maximum that should be done at one time.  Many thanks - Burns

Offline Terry Lane

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 11:48:15 AM »
Greg,
do you want to pick up the Krag before the 24th (that's when we're leaving as I have two Buffalo Bill performances in route) or do you just want me to fetch it with me? Anything else you need?

Burns and Trailrider, do you want me to throw in my '84 infantry rifle (no sling) when we pack?

Take care.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 12:04:07 PM »
Terry:
If you have the room, please bring along that good-lookin', sweet-shootin' Krag. 
I would be proud to shoulder it whilst marchin' in the HOW/GAF Color Guard.
See you at the HOW MUSTER!!!
Mustang
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 05:47:32 PM »
Terry - If you can bring the rifle without going to "excessive" lengths, that would be fine.  If it starts being a problem, we'll make do without it.  Many thanks, Burns

Offline Terry Lane

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 10:02:51 PM »
Gregg and Burns,
can do!! Take care and see you soon.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 07:53:23 AM »
On the way home from Lincoln yesterday I passed a black Dually with a SASS sticker in the window pulling a gooseneck camper. I wondered at the time if it was HOW weekend but now I see it isn't.

Greg and Terry I'm glad to hear you'll be representing our Department.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 01:10:16 PM »
Terry,
Your call.  If we have some long arms, it would probably help with the impression.  If it is a good one, and you have any concerns about security (in you vehicle, hotel room, etc.), then err on the side of caution.  Even if you do bring it, the question is whether anyone else has a rifle, and if they do, can they do the manual-at-arms sufficiently.  I'm not sure I know the correct commands for the rifle guards.  I'll be packing a replica saber, and did alright with that last year.

Hope to see you there!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 05:56:33 PM »
I will be bringing along fairly detailed instructions regarding manual of arms, commands, etc. for the color guard detail.  I got them from the GAF website so they should be fairly "official".  If there are not sufficient military rifles, I see no problem if we use our lever guns.  As I see it, execution of the detail is more important than perfection of equipment.  Since we'll be partnered up with the Guardsmen in their BDUs, exactly correct side arms should be a non-issue.

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 11:49:49 AM »
Well...  we're almost down to the wire for HOW and the GAF color guard.  Here is how things look as of Tuesday morning.  I will be at the range most of Thursday afternoon - planning on arriving about 1400 (2:00PM).  I'll be wearing an "American flag" shirt and a cavalry hat.  Will try to establish early contact with the HOW folks to ensure everything is set for Friday morning.  GAF "social/business" meeting is planned for Little America lounge at 1930 (7:30PM).  I'll continue to wear the flag shirt.  Opening ceremonies are scheduled for 0700 (7:00AM) Friday morning and we are assembling at 0630 to organize.  I will have four matching white canvas flag harnesses and notes about performing the color guard detail.  Hopefully we will have amonst us at least two military type rifles/carbines for the color guard.  If not, match type rifles will serve.  At least some of us will have sabers, and if there aren't enough long arms, sabers are an acceptable alternative.   U.S. flag and Wyoming state flag will be furnished by HOW and Mustang Gregg will have additional flags if we can use them.  Members of the Wyoming National Guard will be participating along with GAF members so there should be plenty of man power available for the detail.  My wife will be "official" photographer for the GAF detail so I will need to get names and e-mail addresses from all participants for distribution of pictures and appropriate credit.  Looking forward to seeing you all on Thursday and/or Friday.  Many thanks for everybody's assistance and participation.
S. Burns
GAF, DoP

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 01:00:42 PM »
Get us some pictures and comments on procedures so we can improve on what we did at Mulecamp this year.

Best,Cannon Fodder

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 08:38:45 PM »
Colonel, sir! 

Loading up the six-mule team wagon.  Barring the "expected", intend to depart Denver City for the vicinity of Ft. D.A.Russell in the morning.  (We are taking an extra day of leave on the front end.)  I am bringing one saber, but will have two spare sword belts with full flap pattern holsters in case anyone needs to borrow equipment.  There might be some limitations on adjustment of the sizes, however.  ::)

See you down the trail!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Gringo Jack

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 12:10:37 AM »
Howdy Sagebrush

Ogallala Jim and I will be driving in early Friday morning will try and link up with you!
But when we get there it will be close to 6:30. We will come dress for color guard

See ya there!!
Gringo ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com