Author Topic: Wow! What a book!  (Read 12954 times)

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wow! What a book!
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
You guys have to remember that "Empire of the Summer Moon" the book was more of a history, meant to educate, rather than a book meant to entertain. Movies on the other hand are meant to entertaoin and be suitable for a broad audience, including children. If parts of the book are left out or "manicured", I'm sure that it would be to maintain the audience apeal that is necessary to make it a financial success and avoid movie ratings that would restrict or diminish the viewing audience.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 10:18:26 AM »
I just left the library with empire of the summer moon on cd and Lonesome Dove in hardcover
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 11:31:55 AM »
John Ford's THE SEARCHERS is based on incidents surrounding Quanah Parker's mother, Cynthia Ann Parker, that are mentioned in this book. Too bad it wandered a bit too far from historical accuracy.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:39:25 PM »

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 02:58:28 PM »
I saw on television that this movie really moved John Wayne. It was the only movie that he made that he would never talk about and nobody seems to know why he wouldn't. He just would not comment on it at all.

John Ford's THE SEARCHERS is based on incidents surrounding Quanah Parker's mother that are mentioned in this book. Too bad it wandered a bit too far from historical accuracy.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 09:31:19 AM »
OK here is my first book report.
I am reading Lonesome Dove and I am really enjoying it. It is extremely well written and tells a fascinating tale.

However, simultaneous to this I am listening to Empire of the Summer Moon in my car. That is Excellent! I am really struck by how important the Comanches were in shaping our nation. If it were not for their struggles against the Spanish and the Mexicans the United States might look very different. I had no idea of this fact at all. I am also struck by the raw brutality and violence of the narrative. To say I am enjoying it would not sound right. I am fascinated by this book though. I had no idea about all the things that went on. I cannot wait to hear more...
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Dances With Coyotes

• Dark Lord of the Soot apprentice
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 09:43:24 AM »
Try to read all the Lonesome Dove books, but as someone said before it's hard to tell where fiction begins and history ends with McMurtry. Still a entertaining time is promised to all.
All you need is love and a .45

Offline HogDoc Olliday

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
I got "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne from the local library. I read half way through it and realized that I HAD to own this book, so I ordered a hardbound from Amazon.com . It is readily apparent to me that the vast amount of research, verified information and direct quotes from period literature and the believable historical account of the rise and fall of the Nermernuh (Comanches), the most formidable native American fighting force that American forces ever faced, make this a "must own book". I am not a Historian, so I cannot swear to the authenticity of what Mr. Gwynne writes, but the documentation is quite significant and the bibliography is formidable to say the least. It is for tht reason that I want to own this book and it is one that I would encourage anyone with an interest in the history of the old west to own and read. For me I don't intend to just read it. I will STUDY it.
I am presently reading this book now. I love it. It has captured my attention. Real history is very dramatic and captivating.  :)
HogDoc Olliday
SASS #89965
"Born 100 Years too late"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com