Author Topic: Question About Cimarron 1858 New Model Army Conversion .45 (Pics Added)  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
Hello, I am looking at getting a Cimarron New Model Army Conversion. I believe it to be a factory conversion because .45 Colt is stamped on the barrel. This is a used set and the owner says that it comes with the cap n ball cylinders also but that he has never shot them and was not 100% sure if they would work in the gun.

He did however; after talking to me about it put in the cap and ball cylinder and set off a round of caps so it appears to function.

I was not aware of the factory conversion revolvers being able to also take cap n ball cylinders.

Is this right?

They are Sheriff Models with the 5.5" barrels if that matters any.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: Question About Cimarron 1858 New Model Army Conversion .45
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 10:49:33 AM »
Yes, Uberti launched that combo ca. 10 years ago: .45 Colt cal. cartridge cylinder and .44 cal. C&B cylinder.
Contrary to the percussion Remmy of Uberti this one has a beefed up frame to accomodate the 6-shot .45 Colt cylinder.
Enjoy your new toy.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 11:43:57 AM »
When the Remington conversion was first announced it was supposed to come with the percussion cylinder as well, and some gun mags printed articles about it with both cylinders.  But when it came to production, Uberti found that it took too much time to fit both cylinders, so the guns were sold without the percussion cylinder.  You could order the percussion cylinder (the new larger size) and fit it yourself.  I think a very few of the new guns were shipped with the percussion cylinder.  Consider yourself lucky!

Advertising

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 12:49:26 PM »
Yes, Uberti launched that combo ca. 10 years ago: .45 Colt cal. cartridge cylinder and .44 cal. C&B cylinder.
Contrary to the percussion Remmy of Uberti this one has a beefed up frame to accomodate the 6-shot .45 Colt cylinder.
Enjoy your new toy.
Long Johns Wolf

Well that is good news. I was not aware that they had the conversions that could also take bp cylinders. I was only aware that the bp ones could take conversion cylinders.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 12:49:53 PM »
When the Remington conversion was first announced it was supposed to come with the percussion cylinder as well, and some gun mags printed articles about it with both cylinders.  But when it came to production, Uberti found that it took too much time to fit both cylinders, so the guns were sold without the percussion cylinder.  You could order the percussion cylinder (the new larger size) and fit it yourself.  I think a very few of the new guns were shipped with the percussion cylinder.  Consider yourself lucky!

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 02:52:23 PM »
Well here they are. I made the trade for them. These are the first Remington Conversions that I have had. They each came with a BP cyilnder which fits perfect and will fire caps. Have not got it out to the range yet.

They are Cimarron guns and marked "CAL 45 LC" on the barrel.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
When C&B cylinder is in the gun how do the caps stay on when passing the notch in the frame for the cartridge loading?

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
When C&B cylinder is in the gun how do the caps stay on when passing the notch in the frame for the cartridge loading?

I have not tried this pair yet with cap and ball because I have another pair that I normally shoot the cap and ball in but I am assuming that with properly fitting caps they should stay on. Its not like the metal that would have been there is actually holding the caps in place.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com