CAS TOPICS > Gun Reviews

Anyone have a "floating firing pin" Uberti SAA replica?

<< < (14/19) > >>

lv2tinker:

--- Quote from: 45 Dragoon on May 13, 2019, 06:27:09 PM ---I had one in the shop and made some drop in "safety deletes" for them.  Just remove the pin that holds the spring and plunger in the hammer, remove the spring and plunger, drop in the S.D. and replace the pin to keep it in place. Much cleaner and faster than JB.  It allows you to re-install the safety device if you ever want to sell it or carry it with 6.

Mike

--- End quote ---
45 Dragoon;
I have S.A. Cattleman II 45 Colt/45 ACP with the RETRACTING FIRING PIN and it was working great for about 200 rounds then I suddenly started getting light primer strikes. Less than half the depth of the previous rounds. Last 6 rounds only one would ignite, the other 5  were lite strikes.
     Took it to the shop, dismantled and cleaned it and found that the Trigger Bar was not pushing the Transfer Bar up far enough to get full firing pin extension but was only pushing it about 1/2 way out resulting in the light strikes. Even took the Transfer Bar out, cleaned & de-burred it, but it appeared to be working properly.
     Could find no wear, broken parts or anything that was causing this. Any ideas/suggesting's, what to look for would be greatly appreciated!

Al

Coffinmaker:

:) Tinker  ;)

First a CAVEAT: I ain't 45 Dragoon.  I'm da odder Mike.  The older better looking one.  It sounds to me as if there is some wear on the op-rod to the firing pin.  My other CAVEAT:  I think the retracting firing pin is STUPID.

Suggest:  Contact Mike Brackett (Da udder Mike) at GoonsGunworks and see if you can source his Safety Delete parts for your SA.  Or:

Contact Taylors & Co. for the parts to retro fit your Cattleman II to the prior Hammer/Trigger/Firing Pin.

Play Safe Out There.  People be Hazardous to Yer Health!!

lv2tinker:
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Advertising:

lv2tinker:

--- Quote from: lv2tinker on February 03, 2022, 11:02:23 AM ---Thanks, I'll check them out.

--- End quote ---

Update:

I checked Taylors & Co. for the parts to retro fit my Cattleman II but they were out of stock & were on back-order.

So I got to thinking (should do that more often) what would/could be one of the causes of light strikes??? How about a weak main spring?

So I pulled out my 'ol Trigger Pull Scale & checked out the force it took to chock the hammers on my following Revolvers:

Cattleman II .45/45 APC= 3.5 lbs.   Lots of light strikes, misfires.
Frontier .357 Mag ===== 3.0 lbs.   No misfires but shallow dimples,
Older Uberti .45 Colt === 5.15 lbs.  No light strikes. (Normal dimples).

I swapped the main spring from the Uberti to the Cattleman II and low and behold, it went “bang” every time. 50 rounds of .45 APC, 25 rounds .45 Colt.

Ordered two Main Springs from Taylor's & Company to replace the lighter ones.

And now I’m “Happy as a clam at high tide”.

Lv2tinker

cpt dan blodgett:
Just ordered 2 5.5 Inch 44-40 cattlemen.  If and when they arrive will post how much I like/dislike the look, feel and function of the floating 3 click hammer and what if anything I will do about it.  Thought I was smart staying out of the Taylor Tent at EOT less than a week later on the phone with them what the heck?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version