Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Cutting Edge

Throwing Knives

(1/3) > >>

Angel_Eyes:
I dont know if this subject is relevant but:-
Does anyone have measurements or diagrams for shape and dimensions for the "perfect" throwing knife?
Were they thrown by holding the handle or the tip of the blade or is that down to the user?

AE (who used to throw his Bowie all over the place)

St. George:
This is one of those questions that probably should be over in the 'Shooter's Meeting' forum, since it has nothing to do with period cutlery and more to do with the use of a knife for entertainment value.

If you do some looking, you'll find a copy of Harry McEvoy's 'Knife Throwing - A Practical Guide'.

In it, McEvoy discusses shapes, distances and throwing techniques.

These are knives specifically built for the game of knife throwing, and even for hunting 'with' a throwing knife.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Delmonico:
I may have the pattern for them in one of my books, I'll have to do some digging and see if I can find it and scan it.

Advertising:

Professor Marvel:
Greetings Amigos -

"The perfect design for a throwing knife" is a topic of much heated debate amongst this variety of Knife affecianados. As amazing as it may seem, there are Naysayers with only booklearning who often contend that "the knife, being an unaerodynamic shape, and tumbling uncontrollably, cannot be thrown effectively or consistantly." These individuals it would seem have never been to a circus, carnival, Rondesvous, or watched Ed Sullivan and Johny Carson. The identical comment by the way was made in a scholarly tome devoted to Daniel Boone, claiming that the tomahawk cannot be accurately thrown. If I recall correctly the *only* thing that author got correct was Boone's political career, which had been well documented.

There are a variety of "proven" patterns about which mostly have a tendencay to be a tad more "tip heavy" whilst some attempt to achieve the elusive so-called "perfect balance". Typically these are not at all traditional, rather 20th century design of a somewhat point heavy triangular pattern, or a "leaf pattern" such as those seen here:
http://tinyurl.com/bljyzm

This one was the old standard of Rondyvoo'ers for many many years, originally only available through Dixie:
http://tinyurl.com/bckkdg

Many of the Rondy crowd prefer an 8-12" butcher pattern. Thrown by either the tip or the handle, I have won a few "blanket throws" with these. Once your are used to it, your hold on the knife, force of throw, amount of  spin, etc will change at will depending upon the target, distance, and type of knife. One fellow even prefers the cheap Steakhouse Knives.

I recall sitting in the shop of a friend who made knives of any size, shape, or purpose. A young man came in wanting him to quote a price to make a set of "perfectly balanced throwing knives". The Knife Smith asked "OK, what shape, what kind of handle, and what do you want them to look like?"   

The Kid said "what are you talking about, there's only one design for perfectly balanced throwers!!!"

The Smith grabbed a handful of screwdrivers, woodchisels, files, and carving knives from his bench and sunk them all, pointy end first,  in a target on the wall across the room. Then he said " So what do ya want em to look like?"

yhs
Prof Marvel

Angel_Eyes:
Thanks guy's, the replies are much like I expected. :)

Basically, suck it and see!! ;D

I will now repair to my garage and start cutting metal. ::)

One thing has become clear from other post photo's, an indestructible leather handle is a must, don't want bits of horn or bone ricocheting all over the place!! :-\

Thanks again, AE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version