Author Topic: Replacement Fluted Cylinder in Colt 2nd Gen 1860  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Higganum

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Replacement Fluted Cylinder in Colt 2nd Gen 1860
« on: February 23, 2022, 10:42:54 AM »
I have a 1860 2nd Generation with round cylinder. Have recently become enamored of the fluted ones.  VTI is listing a fluted cylinder for the Uberti. Does any one know if it will fit my 2nd Gen. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks.
Chris

Offline Earl Brasse

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Replacement Fluted Cylinder in Colt 2nd Gen 1860
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 06:15:00 PM »
Uberti parts should fit with normal "fitting & adjustment".
Colt percussion revolvers were made by Uberti.

Offline Higganum

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 07:50:45 PM »
That is my theory, also. Wish I had a fluted replacement just to measure.  I have an original 1860 with a modern Italian replacement cylinder that is about .017" too short.
Thanks for your input.
Chris

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:28:04 PM »

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 11:37:41 PM »
wait on coffinmaker to show up and he'll explain it better. but what i understand is the 2nd gen Colts are made from Uberti parts, either all the way or a majority of it is. An Uberti fluted cylinder will work on a 2nd gen Colt. There should've be too much of a difference. Putting a modern replacement on originals usually isn't going to work due to differences in manufacture between the two, Colt had their measurements and Uberti and Pietta have their own and both occasionally change their dimensions every few years for some reason.

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 06:20:10 AM »
Howdy,
I have a pair of 2nd. Gen. Colt 1860 w/roll engraved cylinders that I use for mainmatch.
They are "U.S. Cavalry Commemorative's", and made in 1979 as far as I can determine.

I also have an Uberti 1860 Fluted Cylinder Army with a "CL" date code, so made in 2013.

Today I tried the fluted cylinder in both of the 2nd. Gen.'s. 
While it seemed to fit both cylinder arbors nicely, and the overall length of the three cylinders were a near exact match, it would not unlock or index.
So there is evidently a minor difference in timing between the 2nd. Gen.'s and the Uberti.

If You are prepared to tinker with the timing Yourself, or pay someone to do it, it can be made to work.

But at least in my case it was not at straight forward swap.

YMMV.

(Personally I would use this as an excuse to order a brand, spanking new Fluted Cylinder Uberti.  Or better make it a pair:  It looks better with one on each hip, and it keeps Your back from going all crooked...!)   :D
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 07:13:23 AM »

:)  Law Dee Dee Daa Dee Daa ,  Oh Hey

I hear someone call my name??  Was just passing by.

OK!!  First a CAVEAT:  Almost nothing Uberti is "Drop In."  Just doesn't quite work that way.  Uberti parts mostly require some "fitting."

Second Generation Colt Percussion Guns are Uberti sourced.  Just some gussied up and mostly well fitted.  Signature Series "not so much" well fitted.

Cap'n Redneck:

Your supposition is correct.  Minor difference in the timing.  Bit of a difference in the Star.  Your 2d Gen guns have Hands that are slightly too long for the 2013 Cylinder.  Therefore, the hand is trying to rotate the cylinder before the bolt withdraws and everything just stops.  I can't suggest altering the hands in the 2d Gen's, I could suggest a separate hand for use in the 2d Gen's with the fluted cylinder.  I would personally find that to be a lot of hassle for not much gain.

Higganum:  For a single 1860, not in general CAS use, adding a fluted cylinder is perhaps a fun idea.  YES,  the Uberti Cylinder will fit.  The timing may be a mite wonky, so I would suggest, when ordering the fluted cylinder, also order a new Hand to cover the possibility of "some fitting required."

However, any reason to buy a new gun is a good reason to buy a new gun  ;D

Offline Higganum

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 07:31:42 PM »
    Thanks to all for sharing your time and knowledge.
     The dilemma complexifies:
    My wife thinks that I should sell the 2nd Generation  along with an original 1860 parts gun and  find a good condition original. I can't afford an original fluted, but still...
Regard,
Chris

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 07:48:51 PM »
Auctionarms.com has a fluted '60 for $2600 (barrel shortened to 6 1/2").  I have no idea if that is a good price.  Way higher than my pay grade.  :)  Maybe keep both of yours and buy an Uberti fluted?  Yeah, not quite the same, but still...

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 08:43:43 AM »

:)  Higganum  ;)

Your 2d Gen. plus your parts gun would only make a dent in the cost of an "Original" in shooting condition.  Plus, an original 1860, is far far to valuable to shooting on a regular basis.  Not that it can't be done, but most that own shootable percussion guns tend to be protective.  The question begs, do you plan for it to be a shooter??

If your enamored with the fluted cylinder 1860, shop for a nice reproduction and then shoot the heck out of it.  Regardless, your going to find an original or a reproduction to be well "over sprung" and need some after-market springs to prevent un-due wear and perhaps some replacement nipples.

Play Safe Out There, People are Still Hazardous to Yer Health

Offline HamptonBogs45

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 110635
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 12:15:45 PM »
Uberti parts should fit with normal "fitting & adjustment".
Colt percussion revolvers were made by Uberti.
only the 3rd gen signature series was made by uberti. The 2nd gen was colt and iver johnson(now henry repeating arms) made in US.

Here is 2 videos detailing this more.
“Life’s hard, it’s harder if you’re stupid.” -John Wayne

“Who’s the fella owns this sh*thole?”-William Munny

“You gonna pull those pistols? Or whistle Dixie?”-Josey Wales

Offline Higganum

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 07:38:26 PM »
Dilemma Update.
  I just sold the original parts gun. That's one variable removed from the equation.
Have a Second Generation, unfired.   Realistically, I looking at  shooting 200 rounds per year.
What brand of  "softer" spring kit should I be looking for?
  Thanks to all for your patience.

Online 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 09:03:31 PM »
Haaaaaaa !!!!!!

Mike !!!!!
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 09:31:53 AM »

:) Ah well Hampton .. ;)

You are in need of a little more information, not necessarily restricted to a single source.

Iver Johnson was acquired by Imperiato and then used to turn raw Uberti sourced parts into finished guns.  At no time in the production did Colt, or Iver Johnson have the machine tooling for replica Percussion Guns.  Colt machine tooling having been destroyed decades earlier in a factory fire.  Ever Johnson never had the tooling to start with.

Signature Series guns were just plain sloppy assembled and finished.  Colt will not letter 3rd Gen guns.  Colt only performed final inspection and packaging of the 2d Gen guns.  Based on the overall fit and finish, I don't think anyone at Colt ever thought the 2d Gen Percussion guns were ever going to be actually shot.

Whilst well followed and published, "Bottom Dealing Mike" is not necessarily a wealth of actually correct information.  Often well willing to give credence to sketchy incorrect but oft repeated nonsense.

Play Safe Out There

PS: Higganum.  Suggestions would include Wolff Springs and "Lees gunsmithing" gunfighter springs as well as some reduced springs available from VTI Gunparts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com