Author Topic: Small Magnum pistol Primers as a substitute??  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Cannonman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Small Magnum pistol Primers as a substitute??
« on: December 22, 2020, 03:21:03 PM »
I have a 1907 vintage 73 in 32/20, requiring small pistol primers.. Well, you know the rest of that story.. They just are not available..
I do, however have access to some magnum small pistol primers.
Question ?? Can I use them when loading, using Trail Boss smokeless and if so, do I need to adjust my powder charge down a speck or is it inconsequential?? 

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Small Magnum pistol Primers as a substitute??
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 03:33:55 PM »
I'm going to say inconsequential, particularly with Trailboss.  With most loads, no problem if you aren't at the max loading.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 08:49:25 PM »
I agree in principal with our good Abilene.

The '73 is a stoutish carbine, and the 32-20 is a lovely little cartridge, so any increase in pressures is likely to be minor.
Might change your POI tho.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:31:18 AM »

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A day shooting is good for what ails ya!
  • NCOWS #: L-198
  • GAF #: 889
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 08:25:38 AM »
I am by no means an authority!!!
I have not tried it myself, yet...
However having the same question I have chased down many a thread on many a forum (seems this has been a recurring problem?!).  One thread even had some shooters who had actually chronographed their loads with magnum primers vs regular... they saw anywhere from 25 to 50 feet per second difference, with felt recoil feeling very similar...
I may be trying something similar, but I may reduce my load a pinch... my equipment has liked the hotter loads for performance sake...

Good luck, anxious to hear of your success!
A day shooting is good for what ails ya!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 09:04:51 AM »

:)  Oh goody goody   ;)

My turn!!   ;D   I don't have ready reference to ALL the scientific gobbledygook, however I can break it down to something understandable.

The difference between "Magnum" and "Standard" small pistol primers, is relative "BRISANCE."  Brisance is the measurable difference in Flame Travel and Flame Dwell Time.  In some manufacturers priers, the relative Brisance of their "Magnum" primers is slightly greater than "Standard" primers.  Hotter if you will.  Other manufacturers don't bother with different "Magnum" or "Standard" primers and make "One Size Fits All."

THE BOTTOM LINE

The actual difference in performance is Academic.  There isn't enough difference to spit at.  You can in fact get 25 FPS deviation without any change in components.  SO:  SNAKE OIL . . . NO!! you do not have to reduce your loads a pinch.  There is not enough of a difference to alter POI enough to measure.  The difference is inconsequential.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 10:31:55 AM »
Much like the thin pickings on brands on the shelves of toilet paper, any old port in a storm.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 12:51:10 PM »

:)  Aw Crapola   ;)

I forgot to include the "other" considerations of widely misunderstood trivia. SO:

Pay Attention Class . . . . there's gonna be a TEST.  In the world of "SMALL" primers, one may, at one's discretion, substitute small RIFLE primers is pistol cases that require small pistol.  Little to NO difference in performance.  One CAVEAT however.  The relative thicnkness/hardness of the primer CUP still holds true.  The use of CCI primers WILL result in less than Harmonious experiences if one is utilizing lighter, more "competitive" Main Springs.

Stay Safe.  Lots of Idiots out there

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 07:11:36 PM »
It was standard practice in IPSC many years ago to use small rifle primers in .38 Super loaded to make major power factor to eliminate the 'cratering' ' of the primer around the firing pin which would sometimes cause a malfunction. When large pistol primers were in short supply for loading .45 ACP it was quite common to use large rifle primers. Yes, they would protrude a bit from flush with the case but I never heard of or experienced a slamfire from the practice. 

Just my $.02
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Tater Pickens

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 08:45:58 PM »
I have normally used Federal Large pistol primers in my black powder loads for 45-70 trapdoor, 73 and 92 winchester rifles and Colt SAA revolvers but none can be found. A friend has told me he has some CCI large pistol primers I can use. Are they good primers? I have always used federals but can't get any.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 08:51:27 PM »
Tater, CCI are excellent, but have a reputation for having harder cups and some folks with lightened springs in their guns have a problem setting them off reliably.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com