Author Topic: .45-75 brass available from Buffalo Arms  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
.45-75 brass available from Buffalo Arms
« on: July 07, 2021, 10:07:11 AM »
I see that Buffalo Arms now has in stock .45-75 brass made from reformed Starline .50-90 cases.  Has anyone had any experience with these?  If so, please report whether rifle was original or reproduction, how they feed, eject, etc.
I have had very good experience in my original 1876 rifles with reformed .348 Winchester brass.  I have not be able to find any more of it, however.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/45-75-winchester-cases-from-s-4575win.html
"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: .45-75 brass available from Buffalo Arms
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 12:20:21 PM »
I have used that Starline converted brass in a couple of original 45-75 wcf  rifles with no problems at all. Fed fired and ejected perfectly . Has held up very well  also , loaded many times with Bp. ,,,,,RW

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 01:16:54 PM »
Pricey!
King Medallion

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:43:28 AM »

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 02:27:45 PM »
I’ve made cases from 50-90. You have to shorten them, turn down the rim, and thin the rim and of course size them. It’s some work,  but when you’re done everything is the right size and they work fine.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 11:02:25 AM »
I've just come into possession of a Uberti 1876 in 45-75.  The previous owner had a fair supply of Jamison and some Ten-X brass, but had also purchased some reformed 50-90 brass from Buffalo Arms.  He said the reformed 50-90 didn't work in the rifle.  Now, being the curious sort, I took some of that brass (empty) and cycled through the action.  It did take a little more pressure on the lever to close the action, but I think that was due to the slightly larger rim diameter that the extractor had to cam over.  Also possible the slightly thicker rim.  That being said, it seemed to function fine.  Do y'all see the same thing with the reformed brass?

I haven't yet loaded any ammunition, as I'm waiting on a mold.  I found one sold by Accurate Mods that is a reproduction of the original Winchester bullet for the cartridge.  I have an RCBS mold the original owner had, but said he got poor accuracy from it. It's also the mold that Mike Venturino said he had poor results from, so don't think I'll waste time trying it.

Any comments and suggestions welcomed..........
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 05:30:20 PM »
When I made .45-75 brass from Starline .50-90, in addition to trimming the cases and thinning and narrowing the rims, I also had to cut an extractor groove just ahead of the rim to match the Jamison brass that I had. It made a big difference in how easy it was to close the action. I was worried about over-stressing the extractor on my Uberti. I don't know if originals require an extractor groove or not. Just a thought.

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com