Author Topic: Got an original Winchester 1876 - share pics!  (Read 220925 times)

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Got an original Winchester 1876 - share pics!
« on: January 23, 2008, 01:21:05 PM »
I thought it would be interesting to have a thread in which folks can share pics of original 1876 Winchesters.    If we get enough interest, I will make this a sticky.

I have posted this one elsewhere, but I will put it up again to get the ball rolling! :)

This is a short rifle, caliber 45-75.  It has a 22 inch round barrel and a shotgun butt.  It was built for the English market judgeing by the English proof marks and the way the wood has been finished.  Note the forearm, which is 1 inch shorter than standard.  Serial number indicates 1884.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Got an original Winchester 1876 - share pics!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:29:14 PM »
Here are a pair of .50-95 Express rifles from my collection.  The one on top was shipped in November of 1889 with a 26" round barrel.  The one on the bottom was shipped in December of 1881 with a 26" octagon barrel.  Neither of these guns has British proof marks.  They were both sold here in the US and used on the frontier.  Both guns are standard production, with the exception of the special order express front and rear barrel sights on the top gun.  The 26" barrel was the standard length for express rifles, while 28" was standard for all other calibers in the '76.  I have also included in the photo, a full original box of .50-95 Express Winchester ammunition and an early Winchester bullet mold and reloading tool for this caliber.  The cartridge box, tool and mold are only marked "Winchester Express" and do not have the .50-95 caliber markings.  These are very early items and at the time they were produced, this was the only express caliber Winchester offered.  Therefore, it was understood that "Winchester Express" meant .50-95 caliber.  Next time, I'll take a photo of one of my deluxe guns.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 08:09:28 PM »
Tried to post some pictures I have of an original NWMP 76, but all that appear are itsy bitsy pics.  Gonna have to work this out.

Icebox
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:38:10 PM »

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:28:39 PM »
Here are pictures of a NWMP carbine that was on display at the Saskatoon gunshow last fall.  No, it wasn't for sale.  More pics coming

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 08:30:30 PM »

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 08:31:50 PM »

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 08:33:14 PM »

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 08:34:29 PM »
And lastly

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
I love pictures of original guns and accessories.  Come on guys, lets see some more.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 09:39:32 AM »
Beautiful rifles, guys!  Neat to see the NWMP carbine documented to Inspector Generoux.

Hey, Buck, what is the small tool with the wooden handle?
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline Snake River James

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 11:25:08 AM »

Made in 1879, single set trigger, long range sporting tang sight, beach folding front sight, .45-60.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 01:40:32 PM »
I think it's nice that some folks are interested in showing there original 1876 Winchesters.  The photos and guns are great and fun to look at.  We need more interest in this forum.

Grizzly,
The small tool with the wooden handle is the plug for the "Express" bullet mold.  Some guys call it the hollow pointer, but in fact it is the fixture used to cast the express bullet.  The following photo may help to show the function of this fixture.  The true Winchester Express bullet had a small hollow copper plug that was inserted into the nose of the bullet after it was cast from the mold.  It is nearly the same as an empty .22CB cap cartidge case but without a rim.  The purpose was to help the bullet expand when hitting hard mussle or bone, just like a soft nose jacketed bullet.  The copper express caps made by Winchester and UMC could be purchased in boxes of 100 for the guys who reloaded their own ammo.  These caps were marked on the nose end with an "X" for express.  You can barely see it in one of the photos.  Another photo shows both the 4th model iron Winchester "Express" mold and the 5th model wood handle Winchester mold that casts a solid .50-95 bullet.  This is the mold I use most often for my reloading.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 09:15:13 PM »
Buck, thanks for the pics and the explanation.  I had read about this, but I had never seen one.  A picture is worth a thousand words!  Pretty slick idea!  I would guess that those caps are getting pretty hard to come by, or is someone making them now? :)

Snake River, thats a fine looking old girl you have there!  Thanks for posting.  Buy the way, how does it shoot?
GAF

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 09:46:50 AM »
Snake River, that is a nice '76.  If I have not added the serial number to my list, I'd like to do so, if your agreeable.  Let me know.

Grizzly,
In all the years I've collected boxed ammunition, I've only seen one partial box of Winchester expansion caps for the .50 Express.  This box belongs to a friend of mine who owns a highly engraved 1876 deluxe rifle in .50-95 that belonged to Granville Stewart, who was one of our famous Montana pioneers.  Stewart special ordered the gun in 1880 and had it inscribed with his name and the date.  It is as fancy a deluxe '76 as I have ever seen.  When my friend bought the rifle from Stewarts descendants, it came with the original sling, Winchester reloading tool, bullet mold, box of expansion caps, and 7 full boxes of .50 Express ammunition.  All of the small items were stored in the original 2000 round wooden ammo crate marked "Winchester Express".  Of all the frontier guns with documentation and because of all of the original accessories, this one is as good as it gets.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Any interest in these photos of a Winchester 1876?
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 10:25:25 AM »

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »
Fine old rifle, Two Flints.  Thanks for posting the pics.  I moved them to this thread so they could be with their friends! ;)
GAF

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 11:52:02 AM »
This is a Winchester 1876 in caliber  45-75.  Manufactured in 1885, this special version of the gun has a very rare 6 leaf sight, and an adjustable tang sight, it was made for the big game African market. It has extra quality fine deluxe pistol grip stock, with fine checkering and ebony inlay to pistol grip cap.  Crescent stock with butt trap, set trigger and a good bore. This gun has a special 28" heavy octagonal barrel, no finish to metalwork, minor pitting, in good working order and it shoots great!

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 05:35:47 PM »
Great photos.  I'm really glad to see that there are some folks who love their 1876 Winchesters.  Nice early 1880 1st model tool, also. I've never seen one with an extended chamber.  Exactly what is it intended for?  Is it removable?

Adios,
Buck

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 11:07:28 PM »
Here are pics of a fairly early 1876 that was fully restored many years ago.  It is engraved in the same pattern as the one that is shown on page 237 of the Madis book.  Caliber is 45-75. :)  Note the "thumbprint" dust cover.

GAF

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 09:43:31 AM »
Grizzly,
That's a great '76.  Who did the restoration?  The earlier thumbprint dust cover guns are getting harder to find.  If I have time this afternoon, I have some photos of one of my deluxe guns that I'll try to post.  Keep the photos coming boys.

Adios,
Buck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com