Author Topic: Interesting Genealogical Connection  (Read 472 times)

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Interesting Genealogical Connection
« on: July 14, 2021, 03:35:15 PM »
I recently discovered my gr-gr-gr-grandfather, William Barbee.  His Missouri State grave registration record states that he died August 23, 1848 in "Fort Mann, Arkansas".  I tried looking it up, and found there IS no "Fort Mann" IN Arkansas...however there WAS a Fort Mann ON the Arkansas (River), just a couple miles west of present-day Dodge City, Kansas.  A roster of "Gilpin's Missouri Volunteer Indian Brigade" shows William Barbee was mustered into service in September 1847 at Fort Leavenworth and was assigned to Company A (Mounted), at the "Santa Fe Trace" (Trail), for the purpose of patrolling and protecting the Santa Fe Trail.  His "end of service" notation simply states, "Death", and dated 23 Aug 1848, and does not list the cause of his death.  Ft. Mann was only in existence for about 18 months before it was abandoned.  The Battalion was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth in October 1848. Unfortunately, other than a few articles I found using Google, there is not much I can find on this frontier post. 

I found it interesting to find I had an "Indian Fighter" in my ancestry.  Nearly all my ancestors were farmers...since 1653.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com