Author Topic: Lining a stainless steel Rossi barrel???  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Lining a stainless steel Rossi barrel???
« on: June 24, 2021, 04:25:30 PM »
The Question is Can a 24" stainless steel octagon barrel be first - drilled?? and then relined to a different caliber??
I just ran into a brand new (old stock - 9yrs old) Stainless Steel Rossi 24" Rifle in 44/40 for a really good price (now-a-days value).

But some of you may remember my posting in the 1892 forum,  where I have a real desire to own and shoot a 38/40 -- 1892 patterned full Rifle.  In todays market the 38/40 caliber is not to be had in a 24" Rifle versions from any of the replica reproducers.  Not even Taylors Chiappa, which I would buy nor Cimarron 1873 Rifles (the only 'one I saw' chambered for 38WCF was the 20" short octagon rifle)

So, if it is 'not' possible to drill and reline, I may just pass up the rifle, even in the great 44/40 caliber, which I already shoot and reload for.

What was the quality of the Rossi 9 yrs back?  So, I did not get to handle or look at the firearm because it was chained and locked in the middle of the rack.  No ideal of manufacturing -- company name; bolt safety; or extra hammer safety devices.

Thanks for any comments or recommendations.

editted 6/24/2021 the underlined words added after Abilene's reply #1.
Black River Smith

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Lining a stainless steel Rossi barrel???
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 06:43:51 PM »
...Not even Taylors Chiappa, which I would buy nor Cimarron 1873 Rifles (chambered only the 20" short octagon rifle)...
Howdy BRS.  I'm puzzled by your comment that Cimarron only carries 38-40 in the 20" short rifle.  They carry that caliber in 19" carbine, 20" straight stock short rifle, 20" pistol grip short rifle, and 24" straight stock 1873's.  All of those models are currently on order from Uberti.  Plus 19", 20" and 24" in the 1866.

As to the question of lining a stainless barrel, I have no idea, sorry.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 08:16:22 PM »
Abilene,

Then I am puzzled too because that is not what appears to be indicated on their website.  When you go into the rifles; 1873; sporting -- the only calibers listed/pictured are 32WCF; 44Spec; 44WCF & 45Colt in the 24" barrel.  Here is a link to what I am looking at::: https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/long-guns/repeating-rifles-1/model-1873/special-sporting-1.html

I am sorry that I did not look at all the other options.  I was only interested in the 24" Standard. On the general summary pages only the 20" standard 'jumped-out' as having the 38WCF chambering.  I did not search out all of the barrel lengths.  Sorry if that was misleading in my post.  I now see that in the deluxe Sporting version they show a 38WCF chambering.  I could go further but was only interested in the standard sporting version.

Please, I am not bashing Cimarron only noting that they do not offer it in standard sporting 24", but do in other patterns.  My post is not meant to advertised for Cimarron but just to point out that they did not have what I wanted.  Just like Taylor does not carry the 38WCF in the standard Chiappa 1892 Rifle, either.  My overall desire is to create this 38WCF on an 1892 frame.  The 1873 would be the second and last option.

If it helps to get the 'answer to my main question' then Cimarron has the 38WCF chambering in 5 rifles listed on the 3 pages at this link:::: https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/long-guns/repeating-rifles-1.html   but I am not interested in any of these versions.

Thanks
Black River Smith

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:59:49 AM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 10:01:54 PM »
I would actually call and talk to someone knowledgeable at Cimarron. Years ago I wanted a 1866 military carbine and saw where they had military carbine parts listed but no carbines. I called and found that they could have uberti build one for me so I immediately ordered it and after months and a few false ‘your rifle has shipped’ notifications it arrived. Very pleased with it. Give them a call if you haven’t already. Good luck.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 10:19:03 PM »
Howdy Black River,
Oh yeah, I totally get it.  Cimarron's website is just horrible.  As my 97-year-old mom would say, it is "not a friendly user."  Plus, there are all sorts of guns that are not listed at all.  At any rate, their 38wcf 24" '73 is model number CA264, just FYI.  The last inventory list I saw a few months ago they actually had one in stock, and two on order from Uberti.

Maybe an original '92 would be possible?  You may have already mentioned that, I don't recall.  Last year I picked up a 32wcf carbine that was considerably less costly than my Cimarron 32wcf '73, because it had been refinished at some time in the past and had replacement sights on it.  The bore looks pretty rough but I shot a clean match with it (smokeless), and also ran 20 rounds of BP through it and still getting small groups at CAS distances, so I'm happy with it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 08:59:10 AM »

:)  Hey Black River  ;)

First, I really emphasize with ya.  The Cimarron web site is an abomination.  Cimarron is NOT maintaining it.  The other marvelous piece of news I received from Cimarron, when shipments come in, first in linear their Wholesalers.  The average joe shooter gets leftovers.  Cimarron suggested to me, the only way to get the items I wanted was to order them from a dealer/wholesaler and wait for the backorder.  That policy just SUCKS!!

Next up.  Yes a stainless octagonal barrel can be relined.  I don't know at this time who to direct you too for the job though.  It also shouldn't be horribly expensive.

Next Next up.  If the Rifle in question is "New Old Stock" in stainless, it's Rossi and while very well made, also some rough.  It will need some judicious rubbin and buffin along with some good aftermarket springs to be truly user friendly.  Get Nate Kiowa Jones DVD and a set of springs.  Once cleaned up, a '92 can be extremely smooth and fast.

Play Safe Out There

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 09:21:10 AM »
Thanks to all, for the comments.

I am not upset with Cimarron, just confused with the new info.  I do like doing business with Cimarron, own several of their offerings.

Truly I am still waiting for the 44Spec 8" American to come in, that is still on my list to own.
Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 03:03:22 PM »
So, I did pickup this 44/40, SS, 24" rifle.  It is a  new/old stock -- LNIB -- unfired(IMO) firearm.  For what I consider, a good price.  After some cycling issues, which came down to -- my 'too weak a crimp' reloads -- this rifle cycles cartridges up to max OAL.

As Coffinmaker stated above, the rifle has burrs and sharp spots.  It puts longitudinal scratches in the brass from the loading port.  It cuts  the lead in two different spots.  I have one spot on the rightside of the frame, that I can see, (that is extra casting metal) causing one cut on the side of the lead.  The other is in the frame magazine hole or the magazine itself or the cartridge stop creating a rectangular dent or cut in the top of the lead.???

Cleaning and polishing and deburring -- is next up.

I really like it so far.  The wood to metal fit is great.  The frame bottom curvature/lines are very close to originals, not perfect, but definitely not like the new SRC I bought in 2019.  The maker was Taurus has the bolt flip safety F/S stamping but does not have Taurus's hammer safety.

The sights will have to go.  They are the plain bent -- straight cut metal and rivet base.  The front is just plain, also.  Looking at a Marble full buckhorn short sight.  Wish the new Rossi 'traditional sight' wasn't so costly, or I would go for it.

Thanks for all the comments again.

Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 05:13:53 PM »
Well after several distractions and general life delays the rifle is properly fitted; completely deburred; and lightly polished in the right places.  Not a gunsmith but I do understand mechanics.   Browning was a total firearms genius but had a flair for intricacy in his designs.
Everything has to be timed and aligned properly for assembly and the action to work smoothly. (Another example the 1887 lever shotgun.
Man what angles and length tolerances.)

Sorry to say but Taurus did some poor drilling and interior finish work on the rifle.  But, I managed to straighten out the issues for a nice functioning levergun.

I finally have the 1892 action design I like and can enjoy shooting, short of the true Winchester.
Black River Smith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com